Will possibly soon make my first big guitar purchase - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Will possibly soon make my first big guitar purchase

Possibly going for a prestige ibanez or esp m2
How is the fret access on the esp? One thing I like about ibanez is the aanj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:34 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: Will possibly soon make my first big guitar purchase

I don't think that fret access is an issue on the m2..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Fret access is fine on the M-IIs. The biggest difference from a Prestige Ibanez is the neck profile. The M-II neck is hardly thick or chunky, but it is noticeably thicker than a Prestige Ibby. You might want to play one before you take the plunge if you are used to Wizard necks.

Good luck in your guitar shopping.

Rock on!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Reviews: 2

I cant stop looking at the Prestige myself - that would be my pick. M2 great also.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
The biggest difference from a Prestige Ibanez is the neck profile. The M-II neck is hardly thick or chunky, but it is noticeably thicker than a Prestige Ibby. You might want to play one before you take the plunge if you are used to Wizard necks.

Good luck in your guitar shopping.

Rock on!
The new Ibanez Prestige necks are thin (only about 17 - 18 mm at the 1st fret) - but they are also likely wider than the M-II neck. I'm not sure exactly what the dimensions are on the M-II neck but I'm willing to bet that the Prestige neck will be thinner but also wider - the new Prestige necks are 58mm wide at the last fret and 43mm at the nut, which is a very noticeable difference from your standard strat/superstrat neck when you get one in your hands. I find the new Pretige necks to be too wide...I like how thin they are but I don't like how wide they are.

I have a RG Prestige and the wider neck was a very noticeable change from what I was used to with my Strats because I found . It is also wider than the neck on my 2004 Jem7vwh, which I prefer because it isn't as wide. You really need to play the Prestige necks to make sure they are right for you - they are great necks but the width may be an issue for you as it was with me. Just an opinion...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

i own a s470, old rg570 before the aanj, and standard strat.
Neck width doesnt bother me to much.
I really want a m2 but the aanj and zr tremolo are holding me back.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Don't worry too much about it, just go with what makes sense to you.

Judging by your list of guitars you should be pretty comfortable with either a Prestige Ibanez or M-II.
I'd go for the M-II personally, I've tried one and it sounded superb.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

im going to visit a friend in a bigger city in a couple months i'll probably end up waiting til then to try a few guitars out. I assume the neck joint on the m2 is similar to the one on an older pre-aanj on an ibanez? like a block but slightly slanted?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode