Will the white finish of Ibanez PGM301 aged overtime? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Will the white finish of Ibanez PGM301 aged overtime?

Hi peeps. Just out of my curiousity as I have owned the PGM301. I just want to know that will the white finish of the PGM301 aged to yellow overtime? As i understand its natural for white finish to turn yellow as it aged, but if im not wrong.. some finishes have special chemical that prevents the white from being aged to yellow. I dont know if that special chemical applies to the PGM301 white finish.

Anyone with comments/opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Re: Will the white finish of Ibanez PGM301 aged overtime?

I've recently acquired a pgm301, its a 2005 model. And I would say it appears slightly more yellow when compared to a 2008 model one I have seen. But the difference isn't really that much. And by itself, the guitar certainly doesn't look yellow.

I don't know anything about chemicals in the finish or anything, but thats just my observation xD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Reviews: 39

I have a 2008 and it is brilliant white, with no signs of yellowing...for some reason though, I believe the lacquer on the older models have a tendancy to yellow more than the newer ones. I dunno if it is a paint issue or a lacquer issue, but you can certainly tell the difference between the older and newer ones. Seems even the case kept ones yellow to a degree.

I'm also unsure what year they switched to the different lacquer/paint. You may want to post a message to Hosono if noone else knows, as I would be curious myself...also if my '08 would be susceptible to yellowing/devaluing in the future!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Mine has very slightly gone yellow but that gives it the vintage look!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks peeps for sharing ur views. well i guess no matter what.. white finish will eventually aged to yellow overtime. I honestly dont like my PGM301 to be aged to yellow.. cos its just doesnt look good on the PGM301 cosmetically. But well.. still.. it will certainly and always be a very good guitar to owned.. hehe.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 AM

UV rays destroy plastics, as does oxidation. Clear paint will yellow and pigments will degrade. Even something as innocuous as paper (acidic!) inside a guitar case can degrade the paint.
Note, there is no separate clear laquer on top of the polyurethane paint. The polyurethane itself is clear (just look at the back of the neck), there are paint particles in it to make it white, to give it a slight hue or some opaque colour.

The trick in keeping paint white is in a combination of UV inhibitors, stable pigments (such as titanium dioxide=white) and a non yellowing clear. When Ibanez introduced the JemVWH, Vai specified a white that wouldn't yellow as much as the UVVWH.

I can't say for sure that your PGM also uses this later type of paint, but considering the JemVWH was introduced over 15years ago and paint systems have improved since (ie fluorinated polyurethanes), there is no reason a current white should age much, but it is almost impossible to keep it completely from yellowing. Even if you keep it in the dark, chemical yellowing (oxygen, acid, etc.) will still occur, but we are talking about a +10year process. Put it in direct sunlight or under a cheap halogen spotlight and it will yellow.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Now that is really a good info. it certainly helps alot.. thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 AM

Reviews: 6

Yes my old pgm turned creamy off white. I regret selling her.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 AM

I personally would HOPE it would yellow. "Vintage" white is beautiful. It is something you see commonly on old Stratocasters and Les Paul Customs. Having a PGM like that would be very cool.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 AM

To be honest I've always preferred that slightly vintage look on the UV VWH as well.
There is a reason people pay top dollar for relics

I never quite understood Vai's obsession with the bridal white on the Jem VWH, especially considering his love for burnt finishes (RB, UV, BSB)... or swirls or melted goo (DBK)
With Pablo it's even worse, the white PGM doesn't reflect his personality at all. it's a nice and clean design but I would prefer some yellowing for character
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

i had a white 555 for 11 years.it did turn yellowish but that might of being down to me being a heavy smoker at the time lol.weather it was down to the smoke im not sure lol

Tags
pgm , pgm301

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode