Wish my J Custom had fret inlays on the fingerboard :( & a few other JC questions !! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Wish my J Custom had fret inlays on the fingerboard :( & a few other JC questions !!

Hi all
I am in total love with my new JC Rg-Paint 1
It plays amazing. the feel and neck is awesome, and all my licks seem to flow alot better then on my old guitars. My only issue is that I am so used to the dot inlays on my rg550, i notice, that i am sometimes looking for them and they are just not there. I do realise that there is dot markers on the side, which does help, but I wonder if I will be able to adapt to those.

Is fret markers on the finger board a quicker way for my eyes to send the info to my brain and then to my fingers as apposed to the markers on the side of the finger board...

I was wondering how much it would cost to have inlays put in, or is it even worth the hassle, should i leave the guitar alone.

also another question, my vol and tone knob seem to be really hard to turn. They are smooth in motion but alot harder to quicker turn from 0 to 10 in a quick flip, I really have to twist it. Is this normal, is there a way to loosen it a bit ? Cheers !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:41 AM

Re: Wish my J Custom had fret inlays on the fingerboard :( & a few other JC questions !!

I wouldn't modify that guitar in any way whatsoever. I'm sure people who started on a guitar with no fretboard markers instantly look to the side dots, it is purely a function of habit. You will get used to it.

Beautiful axe by the way.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 AM

Re: Wish my J Custom had fret inlays on the fingerboard :( & a few other JC questions !!

my personal view :
your guitar is great without inlays.
it makes a classy look for that guitars.

I'm sure you will get used to it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys.. I guess i already new the answer to my question, cause I shudder at the thought of changing it in any way...

I have only really played it for a few hours, so i guess its not enough time to get used to it.

She will remain the same forever and ever

Hey gilkybear, did you end up going to Bangkok ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 AM

Yeah you'll get used to it.

I did when I played nylon string classicals a lot. After a week or two you get used to it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Hey gilkybear, did you end up going to Bangkok ?
Unfortunately I only had about a 7 hour layover and it was in the evening. So I only had enough time to go to Patpong
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
thanks guys.. I guess i already new the answer to my question, cause I shudder at the thought of changing it in any way...

I have only really played it for a few hours, so i guess its not enough time to get used to it.

She will remain the same forever and ever
Pleased to hear it

Congrats on the guitar btw
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Re: Wish my J Custom had fret inlays on the fingerboard :( & a few other JC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
Unfortunately I only had about a 7 hour layover and it was in the evening. So I only had enough time to go to Patpong
Thats a damn shame, patpong is gotta be the worst place on earth, yet each time I go to thailand I gotta stop by.

If you want a tip, the much better night market, is the solum night market. Its on everynight and is way better shopping wise then patpong, its alot cheaper, and minus the sleeze factor.

Trust me thats the best place to shop.. Its got everything that patpong has and more of it and better stuff also.... and one of the biggest outdoor foodcourt I have ever seen, with stage and heavy metal acts playing. Its fun for a laugh....

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 03-24-2008 at 07:08 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 AM

Damn, wish I would have know that. Still had a good time though, it's always a blast. Now if you would have said there was a swirl in those music stores I would have missed my flight trying to find it
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 AM
ME.

Don't change a thing on that guitar. Looks great. You'll get used to it having no inlays. Give it time.

Colin
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Reviews: 3

It does take some getting used to. I was having trouble with the vine on my 8470 and felt retarded for the first week or so. After that you'll be good to go.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:58 PM

I wouldn't change it, if you're having that much trouble maybe put stickers that are easy to take off at the right places for practice (or all the time if you don't gig/aren't planning to use it for gigs), but you'll probably get used to having none with time.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:17 PM

+ for small, removable stickers if you really need to...
The knobs on some Ibanezes are smooth and hard to turn. I have noticed it mainly on the guitars that have the screw from the side knobs, not the push in ones...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM

The knobs will loosen with use, for sure

I had the same fretboard marker issue with my parker fly classic at first, but I just got used to looking at the side markers.

time, my friend, time.

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , finger board , fret markers , heavy metal , music store , parker fly , parker fly classic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode