witch neck is better - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

witch neck is better

your opinion....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: witch neck is better

Yeah. I like troll-necks more.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The natural finish of the JEM10 neck does it for me.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM

I've never thought that a witches neck is better, assuming the comparison is with a human. Now a virgin's neck can be nice, but if I'm hungry I'll always go far a nice bit of rolled lamb neck.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM

I think it depends on the age. Vintage witch necks tend to be very uneven from the moles and wrinckles, and the hairs some times get so long that they dampen the strings. They have a much raspier tone than modern witch necks from newly cut witches. To some this feature is wanted - others try to keep the tone and feel of a new witch neck with lotions and high-fat milk, but it results in a oilier feel (and some times a baseball-bat [no pun intended] neck).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Come on guys, give the noob a break!!!

As far as I know this guy has made an honest mistake with two easily confused spellings in a foreign language!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Come on guys, give the noob a break!!!

As far as I know this guy has made an honest mistake with two easily confused spellings in a foreign language!

Wat? This is the internet remember! All potential n00bs and trolls must be dealt with accordingly!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I think saeed is from India and so is posting in a completely different language, so lets give him a chance to get some info on different necks.

If he needs to be banned, you know how much the mods relish the opportunity to ban a n00b
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
you know how much the mods relish the opportunity to ban a n00b
and you know how much the rest of us like to bait and bitch. Burn him for his witch sympathies!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Hi saeed-satriani, I've always thought the RG wizard 1 was the nicest neck. Not the prestige model, but the one that's 56mm wide at the base.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarzio562 View Post
Hi saeed-satriani, I've always thought the RG wizard 1 was the nicest neck. Not the prestige model, but the one that's 56mm wide at the base.
+1

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM

Reviews: 2

Best Neck I've ever played is the Original Wizard on my 1990 Ibanez S (thank you S-Man!) but I've got a deal set up to sell one of my current guitars to a former band mate (Xiphos>Epi Les Paul) and I'm going to try and hunt down a vintage RG with the money.

I've got small hand (insert penis joke here) so that 2 mm different in neck width between the original and current prestige (1mm in depth, and I was switching from wizard 2 which makes the difference even more noticable) helps a lot.

Of course at band practice today I didn't use anything but a BC Rich WMD SOB which is made in Korea (or Indo or something like that) and is pretty damn thick and it shreds like a crazy beast.

The moral of the story is:
Whatever neck you play on best is the best neck. Try them out.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
....but if I'm hungry I'll always go far a nice bit of rolled lamb neck.
Neck is an under used cut. It has a reasonable fat content so loads of flavour. I often roast some neck fillets with sage and rosemary, with som eonions garlic and red peppers and serve with cous cous. You can add some chilli as well.

As far as guitar necks:

Of all the Ibanez necks the Jem is my favourite by a long way, but I am also starting to realise that the square heel (pre 1994) necks are more to my liking.

Non-Ibanez: the modern Charvel necks are really fantastic. Every time I have tried one I am amazed at the feel and quality and also the cost of the guitars.

saeed-satriani, which is your favourite?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 AM

Reviews: 12

My opinion. and its just my opinion and its limited to 2 necks the wizard II and the Wizard. I totally fell in love with the wizard neck. I love how thin it is and the 430mm fingerboard seems easier for me to play. I like it so much I took my stock wizard II neck and shaper and sanded till I got the fingerboard to 430mm from 400mm and I got the back down to 17mm 1st fret and 19mm 15th fret. I took some patience and time on the back. I bought a custom radius block for the fingerboard and I about wore my darn arm off but I got it perfect I can't wait to get the rest of the project down so I can play it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Reviews: 2

Better for what purpose? Wizard2 is very fast and makes you play fast too. But its so thin and cuts into the palm - not the best on sustain or chord playing.
I had a '99Jem7VWH and the neck was chunky and glossy. I then got the '04Jem7VWH and this is slim and satin. The best!

Then again, I got a JetKing1 with a very round profile and I just love its sound for what it does. I upgraded it to chrome p/up surrounds & knobs with Groover 18-1 chrome machineheads & a locking tunamatic bridge. Its a b-loody good indonesian guitar to play and looks awesome!
I'm getting a chrome-plated pickguard for it.

Tags
neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode