Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 PM

Re: Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think youíre wrong. If they wanted to go stay with a different construction, they be using the Jackson Soloist, which had the Floyd. Steve had one, Iím sure Joe could have had one if heíd wanted. But they chose to go with the bolt onÖ
Even *if* the bolt-on was a conscious decision (which I doubt it is), who's to say they chose it because of the tone? Especially Steve Vai has been known to break necks, and replacing a bolt-on neck is a whole lot easier than a neck-through or set-neck.
And even if they made a conscious choice, who's to say they're 'right'? As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of guitarists that chose other guitars. In fact, in the 80s the Jackson Soloist was a very popular guitar.
So again, why try so hard to validate the bolt-on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
It doesn't? Apart from some slightly pointier horns, it's pretty much the same (and the headstock was already in use on various models, like the Pro Line). Just your average superstrat design.
And what were the second and third guitars they sent Steve?

But more on topic, why are you guys trying so hard to validate the bolt-on (and invalidate other joints)?

Absolutely, they're so damn near identical I'd have to get out a magnifying glass to tell them apart.......
post #48 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Why try so hard to invalidate them? Take any bolt on with a decent neck pocket, add glue instead of screws, and you have a set neck. BFD.
post #49 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Absolutely, they're so damn near identical I'd have to get out a magnifying glass to tell them apart.......
They're both Strats to me. One is pointier than the other, but that's about it. They just had to adjust their router a bit. Construction-wise they're virtually identical.
post #50 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Why try so hard to invalidate them?
I'm not invalidating them. I just don't see why one would want to stick to bolt-ons exclusively.

Quote:
Take any bolt on with a decent neck pocket, add glue instead of screws, and you have a set neck. BFD.
Words cannot express... wow, just wow.
post #51 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Vendor

Both Strats?! In that they're both double cutaway?! Puhlease. This is about the stupidest argumnet ever.
post #52 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Both Strats?! In that they're both double cutaway?! Puhlease. This is about the stupidest argumnet ever.
List the differences, then select the ones that have nothing to do with how the body is routed.
By the way, I already mentioned the Pro Line:

How many differences are left now?
post #53 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Even *if* the bolt-on was a conscious decision (which I doubt it is), who's to say they chose it because of the tone? Especially Steve Vai has been known to break necks, and replacing a bolt-on neck is a whole lot easier than a neck-through or set-neck.
And even if they made a conscious choice, who's to say they're 'right'? As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of guitarists that chose other guitars. In fact, in the 80s the Jackson Soloist was a very popular guitar.
It's not a question of validation, it's a matter of presenting a balanced view. You're very ignorant of certain facts and gloss over this ignorance with your own opinion. I'm merely trying to fill in the gaps so to speak.
post #54 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Words cannot express... wow, just wow.
Evidently you think all neck joints are tenon, or anything like it. Ever see an SG joint?! Tell me that's anything more than adding some glue

http://www.whitsettguitarworks.com/gibsg.htm

Quote:
List the differences, then select the ones that have nothing to do with how the body is routed.
By the way, I already mentioned the Pro Line:

How many differences are left now?
I don't have all day to list the 100+ differences, but if somebody else does please do...
post #55 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Evidently you think all neck joints are tenon, or anything like it. Ever see an SG joint?! Tell me that's anything more than adding some glue
That's still a tenon. The glue was apparently so strong that part of the body broke off rather than the glue letting go.
Other than that, the tenon goes INTO the body, not just onto the body... And it is done under pressure.

Quote:
I don't have all day to list the 100+ differences, but if somebody else does please do...
There aren't 100+ differences, that's why.
Take a Pro Line with H-S-H configuration, add 2 frets, make the horns pointier, and you have an RG. Add a monkey grip and lion's claw, and you have a Jem.
QED.
post #56 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Vendor

Quote:
That's still a tenon. The glue was apparently so strong that part of the body broke off rather than the glue letting go.
Other than that, the tenon goes INTO the body, not just onto the body... And it is done under pressure..

Yes, a tenon goes INTO the body. There is no tenon there, it's less area than if you glued a bolt on neck in. And the top of the body broke, but I still see the "heel" and it's sure looks like the glue let go.

Quote:
Take a Pro Line with H-S-H configuration, add 2 frets, make the horns pointier, and you have an RG. Add a monkey grip and lion's claw, and you have a Jem.
QED.
Let me quote something really dumb, "Wow, just, wow."
post #57 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It's not a question of validation, it's a matter of presenting a balanced view. You're very ignorant of certain facts and gloss over this ignorance with your own opinion. I'm merely trying to fill in the gaps so to speak.
I'm the one presenting a balanced view here. Before, it was "PRS sucks, all top players use bolt-ons, lol". Now *that* is ignorant.
post #58 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, a tenon goes INTO the body. There is no tenon there, it's less area than if you glued a bolt on neck in. And the top of the body broke, but I still see the "heel" and it's sure looks like the glue let go.
Are you blind?
There clearly is a tenon in those pictures.
This joint is the same as on a Les Paul, just a bit smaller.

Last edited by Scali; 06-26-2008 at 04:00 PM.
post #59 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
QED.
The most guitarded post of the month.
post #60 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Vendor

The one on the LEFT is a tenon, I'm not blind, I just know what a tenon is. And the one on the right is not [and the one on the right is what the SG is]

That's absolutely no more than putting glue on a bolt on instead of using screws. In fact it probably has right about the same surface contact area.

Tags
alex lifeson , alexi laiho , basswood bodies , dimarzio chopper , direct mount pickups , double cutaway , gary moore , guthrie govan , ibanez necks , ibanez roadstar , legato technique , leo fender , mahogony body , michael romeo , mount pickups , neal schon , neck joints , neck pockets , pat metheny , pickup cavity , pickup ring , prs guitar , prs guitars , richie sambora , scratch plate , stanley jordan , steve lukather , suhr guitars , suhr standard , upper fret , upper frets , vintage strat , wizard neck profile , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode