Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM

Re: Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The onle on the LEFT is a tenon, I'm not blind, I just know what a tenon is. And the one on the right is not [and the one on the right is what the SG is]
They're both tenons, only the size is different (left is original Les Paul spec, right is modern Les Paul spec, aka long vs short).
And I can clearly see a tenon protruding from under the part of the body that broke off in the SG pictures, which goes INTO the body in the slot that goes up to the neck pickup cavity. So it's clearly going INTO the body, not ONTO the body.

Quote:
That's absolutely no more than putting glue on a bolt on instead of using screws. In fact it probably has right about the same surface contact area.
Not at all, firstly the position of the join to the body is different. Secondly, the heel is on the neck, not on the body. Thirdly, most of the join area is on the side of the tenon, not on the bottom. The tenon is actually jammed into the body.
Funny how you can see many more differences than there really are when it suits you, but are oblivious to obvious differences when they oppose you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
GAZ

Steve Vai broke a few necks ?? lol !!! Like he's gonna worry and say 'Oooh I'd better not have a set neck or neck thru as my Signature guitar then ! '
That Steve Vai, he's so considerate to his guitar techs.............

Petrucci, Vai, Satriani et al, must be wrong coz Scali is right. Yeah right. The guitar manufacturers would make whatever they wanted them to make. Ibanez for instance make neck thru RG's, but not for our Stevie, no siree.
post #63 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Polite discussion here folks, let's keep the tempers in check.
post #64 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
Steve Vai broke a few necks ?? lol !!! Like he's gonna worry and say 'Oooh I'd better not have a set neck or neck thru as my Signature guitar then ! '
That Steve Vai, he's so considerate to his guitar techs.............

Petrucci, Vai, Satriani et al, must be wrong coz Scali is right. Yeah right. The guitar manufacturers would make whatever they wanted them to make. Ibanez for instance make neck thru RG's, but not for our Stevie, no siree.
There are also various examples of Steve Vai getting very attached to something as simple as a pickup... and why doesn't he just get another Jem7VWH when his Evo is nearly ripped in two?
We don't know, it's all possible. Trying to ridicule a different point-of-view is rather narrowminded and lacking respect.

I never said anyone is wrong for choosing bolt-on. In fact, some of my favourite guitars are bolt-on. So obviously I don't think it's wrong to choose a bolt-on.
Why are you guys acting like a bunch of irrational bolt-on fundamentalists?
post #65 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Vendor

Rubbish. They may call it a tenon but it isn't in the true sense of the term. It isn't any more than an oddly shaped neck heel. You might as well call any neck heel a "tenon" if that example passes. And any glued in bolt on that had a decent pocket would have MORE glue contact area, because the sides of the neck are glued and so is the base. The Les Paul joint passes INTO the body past the end of the neck. To me that's a true tenon and has it's advantages in structure. Just like DTM takes that thru tenon even further and mounts the neck pickup in it.
post #66 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Rubbish. They may call it a tenon but it isn't in the true sense of the term.
According to dictionary.com:
"a projection formed on the end of a timber or the like for insertion into a mortise of the same dimensions."

Looks like it's perfectly conforming to the definition of a tenon.
post #67 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Vendor

Then according to that definition any neck heel is a tenon......
post #68 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Then according to that definiteion any neck heel is a tenon......
No, because not all of them have the projection/protrusion.
Aside from that, the mortise part is also fundamental to the set-neck construction. Most neck pockets wouldn't qualify for that either.
post #69 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Vendor

Neck heel itself is a protrusion. Pocket itself is a mortise. It may not fit your definiton perfect but I'm not really that chuffed if it doesn't
post #70 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Neck heel itself is a protrusion. Pocket itself is a mortise. It may not fit your definiton perfect but I'm not really that chuffed if it doesn't
Here's a tip then... Buy those cheap Epihone SGs and Les Pauls with the bolt-on neck, glue them on, and sell them as true set-necks, with a nice profit. Nobody will know the difference anyway, right?
post #71 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Vendor

Absolutely. About as much difference as a 1986 Roadstar and a JEM, right?
post #72 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. About as much difference as a 1986 Roadstar and a JEM, right?
Unlike you I never implied they'd play or sound the same in any way. I just said that they're about the same guitar to manufacture, just some modified routing patterns.
post #73 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Vendor

Yea, they wouldn't play or sound any different. The only thing they have in common is they're bolt on and double cutaway. Eveidently to you that makes them exactly the same.
post #74 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Yea, they wouldn't play or sound any different. The only thing they have in common is they're bolt on and double cutaway. Eveidently to you that makes them exactly the same.
Why don't we take this private, because this isn't getting anywhere.
post #75 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
Why are you guys acting like a bunch of irrational bolt-on fundamentalists?
The only person here who is being irrational is yourself.

You are welcome to your opinion, but do get worked up when others poke holes in your beliefs.

Tags
alex lifeson , alexi laiho , basswood bodies , dimarzio chopper , direct mount pickups , double cutaway , gary moore , guthrie govan , ibanez necks , ibanez roadstar , legato technique , leo fender , mahogony body , michael romeo , mount pickups , neal schon , neck joints , neck pockets , pat metheny , pickup cavity , pickup ring , prs guitar , prs guitars , richie sambora , scratch plate , stanley jordan , steve lukather , suhr guitars , suhr standard , upper fret , upper frets , vintage strat , wizard neck profile , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode