Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!? - Page 7 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Re: Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!?

I don't understand your comment mate sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM

I was referring to the rg3120 made from 1998-2000.Wizard prestige neck,mahogony body with maple top and real dimarzios.Came in blue and red, with a limited run of black.Truly an excellent guitar for the money.
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
And swapped to ... a bolt on Suhr
He used the PRS on his album and also he still uses it live, as far as I know.
post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 AM

Just buy whatever guitar you want and then get the neck off ****. if the screw holes don't fit, it's not a big deal to fill them and drill new ones (or have a tech do it for not too much).

that way you don't have to find a specific model guitar to buy, just be sure exactly which neck you get. worked wonders for upgrading my 555 (bring the flames!).
post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
He used the PRS on his album and also he still uses it live, as far as I know.
Do you know or do you know ? Which moves it back to the position where he accepts the new brand guitars and does the promos but still uses his old gear, and heads him into the "corporate sell out" side of things

My bad if he's actually more fickle than the music press would suggest

I respect the man for doing what he can to make a living out of guitar and I'd probably do the same thing in his position, but I've always wondered about the guys who endorse one line of products and gig with another.
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM
GAZ

Talking Re: Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!?

AHEM !!!! Back to topic....again !! lol !!! The '98-'03 RG3120 has the Wizard neck profile, the 2005 model doesn't, it has the newer Prestige neck profile.
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Do you know or do you know ? Which moves it back to the position where he accepts the new brand guitars and does the promos but still uses his old gear, and heads him into the "corporate sell out" side of things

My bad if he's actually more fickle than the music press would suggest

I respect the man for doing what he can to make a living out of guitar and I'd probably do the same thing in his position, but I've always wondered about the guys who endorse one line of products and gig with another.
I wonder about that too.

The PRS is just occasional use. He definitely used it on the album, it's in the liner notes where he datails the gear he used for each track. I've seen a number of videos where he played it live, but come to think of it now, I don't think any of them were recent. Maybe he doesn't use it live anymore. I'm not too sure on this...

Sorry for the thread derail, let's get back to Wizard necks!

Last edited by Dee; 07-03-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: speeling erooor
post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 AM

god I love the neck on my 20th
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I wonder about that too.

The PRS is just occasional use. He definitely used it on the album, it's in the liner notes where he datails the gear he used for each track. I've seen a number of videos where he played it live, but come to think of it now, I don't think any of them were recent. Maybe he doesn't use it live anymore. I'm not too sure on this...

Sorry for the thread derail, let's get back to Wizard necks!
Guthrie only used his PRS on the solo in the song fives. The rest is his famous Suhr Standard (mahagony back and neck with maple top) , a little bit Suhr classic (waves, Rhose Island Shred, and the clean part of Ner Ner) and a Gibson ES-335 is the main guitar for wonderful Slippery Thing.

This according to Guthrie himself.
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM

I am a big fan of the Original Wiz! The re-issue RG770 says it comes with the "1987 Original Wizard Prestige neck." Don't know if that's the same thing but, if it is, that's great! I have 2 RG guitars (a J-Custom ART1 and a 1989 RG550) and both have the Original Wizard neck.

I know the problems associated with the Wiz 1. But I love it!

I have also heard rumors of Vai using the Original Wiz on his personal JEMs???
post #101 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Unless something has changed, Vai still uses his own profile (JEM) that comes stock on the JEM.

I don't really have a preference with Ibanez necks, but I know I don't care for the "shoulders" on the Wizard II profile.
post #102 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
I don't really have a preference with Ibanez necks, but I know I don't care for the "shoulders" on the Wizard II profile.
That's a recent change though.
Older Wizard II necks have a round C profile.
I'm not sure when or why they changed to the D profile, but I first encountered it on Korean-made S series a few years ago.
I have a Japanese made RG570 from 1994, which has a perfectly round Wizard II.
post #103 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:36 PM

i dont understand why some necks from the same model can feel so different!i had a few rg 550 ltd and one had a big fat neck the other had a super thin neck and anotherone had one with a bublinga(bublegum?haha) stripe on the back?and between the same model of jems are differences too.the new and old universe are different also.so im not sure if you have 2 same other guitars that the necks are the same.i dont believe the cataloge or sites.im sure there are more people out there who has the same experience.one advice.TRY!and know it for sure

Tags
alex lifeson , alexi laiho , basswood bodies , dimarzio chopper , direct mount pickups , double cutaway , gary moore , guthrie govan , ibanez necks , ibanez roadstar , legato technique , leo fender , mahogony body , michael romeo , mount pickups , neal schon , neck joints , neck pockets , pat metheny , pickup cavity , pickup ring , prs guitar , prs guitars , richie sambora , scratch plate , stanley jordan , steve lukather , suhr guitars , suhr standard , upper fret , upper frets , vintage strat , wizard neck profile , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode