Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!?

I am hell bent on getting me an Ibanez with a neck that has a profile true to the wizard/super wizard dimensions. In one of the other threads i have been informed that J-customs no longer really come with the dimensions that Ibanez advertises on their website. The neck should be 17mm at the first fret and apparently they are more like 18.5mm which makes it a halfway house between a Japanese wizard II (18mm) and an American wizard II (19mm). UNACCEPTABLE (makes petulant face)

So it seems i have only one option! And that is to buy second hand! I may have overlooked a section on this website which may give me all the information i need, but i couldn't quite find what i wanted. I basically want to scour **** and any other source for second hand ibanez's with the wizard I profile but obviously i need model numbers. If anyone could be so nice as to list all RG models with the wizard I neck profile and are HH configuration. I hear that the one piece necks were extremely prone to warping so if its cool, could models that are listed be three piece or more, (unless someone can persuade me otherwise), i would be eternally grateful and sing your praises well into the afterlife. (i kid you not, i will be there at heaven's gates upon your arrival doing the most insane appreciation dance with the rest of the welcoming party)

Enough of my rambling! Anyways i really hope someone can help me out.

Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM

Re: Wizard I neck, the elusive profile?!?

I've never had a problem with the one piece original Wizard I warping. Then again I've never had a problem with the neck cracking at the locking nut mounting points either. Probably because I don't overtighten the mounting screws and store my guitar in a climate controlled environment.

Help bring back the Wizard I...sign the petition.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/s-...ion-78788.html
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Reviews: 12

original 24-fret wizard neck specs are on these guitars:

One piece:
'87 RG550's + reissue
any RG7xx's (necks are consistent from one to another)

as a matter of fact, i think any Ibanez with an Old Heel Joint from the late 80's are the original wizard profile. There's prolly a few others but I'm assured that the 7xx's necks are THE wizard spec.

As for 3 Piece:
I can only think of an RG5xx from the late 90's/early '00. I know RG520's and RG570's from that period are wizard-like.

Reg
post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
I've never had a problem with the one piece original Wizard I warping. Then again I've never had a problem with the neck cracking at the locking nut mounting points either. Probably because I don't overtighten the mounting screws and store my guitar in a climate controlled environment.

Help bring back the Wizard I...sign the petition.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/s-...ion-78788.html
Why do you want it back specifically with the fender like square joint? I would love the neck profile back but why have a joint that restricts access to the upper frets?
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM

The ANNJ necks are thicker. I'm sure someone will come along and say they are not.

If you look at the second page of that thread it's pretty obvious.

The block heal doesn't affect my access to the upper frets. I guess I'm old school.

Block heel = better tone.
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Vendor

RG8670, or 8620 for the HH.
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 7

I've never had a one piece wizard warp on me.
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
Block heel = better tone.
I'm not too sure about that. The AANJ also uses those buses that go inside the heel, which seems to give a better connection than the Fender-style plate.
Ibanez advertised increased sustain as one of the advantages of AANJ (see the 1989 US catalog page you posted in the S reissue thread), and I've come across some pretty badass sustaining AANJ guitars over the years.
This type of bolt-on joint was first used on bass guitars, and became very popular, probably with good reason.
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:32 PM

I like ANNJ too....

But honestly, it doesn't inspire me the way the original did...

I'll just post the pic here...

Here is the pic that shows the difference in the profiles.

Wizard I block heel, Wizard I AANJ, and MIK Wizard II AANJ (left to right)
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 PM

I've noted better sustain on guitars with old block joint. My anniversary 550 has awesoem sustain. My old 550 which I sold had an aanj and had far worse sustain. It was part of the reason I parted with it rather than keep it.

if you want a new guitar the 770dx reissue has a wizard one profile.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_RG770DXRR.html

anyone notice the back of the neck. That must be an old 770dx in the picture
post #11 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
I've noted better sustain on guitars with old block joint. My anniversary 550 has awesoem sustain. My old 550 which I sold had an aanj and had far worse sustain. It was part of the reason I parted with it rather than keep it.
But those are just two guitars, and from a completely different era. It's neither a good apples-to-apples comparison, nor a statistically significant sample size.
I'm quite sure that you can easily find block joint guitars that don't sustain well at all (heck, any Fender will do, lol), and conversely there are plenty of AANJ guitars that have great sustain (how about Steve Vai's own Evo?).
There are more factors involved in the sustain of a guitar than just the neck joint obviously.
I have an RG570CT with AANJ which is indeed almost like a set-neck in terms of sustain. When I tried it out in the shop, it immediately won me over, because it was so much like my Les Paul.
My S7320 would have everything going for it to have more sustain than my RG570CT (bigger, heavier neck, mahogany body), but it doesn't. I don't know exactly why, that's just how it is.
post #12 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Vendor

The new 770's are pure Wizard.
post #13 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:10 AM

Well nothing I've played so far has compared to the sustain on a old neck thru Musician model the local store had. I would've bought it but by the time I got the money together someone else did. Literally two days before I went to the shop to buy it.

So I got a anniversary rg instead.
post #14 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
RG8670, or 8620 for the HH.
Thank you dude, this is exactly what i was after. Serial/modes numbers!!! Anyone else with some model numbers i would be very appreciative. The mahogany back and maple top is exactly what im after. if anyone has any model numbers for guitars like this i would be forever grateful.
post #15 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
HDS

I have two Wiz 1 necked Ibanezs and I cant play them to much being I get a massive knot in my thumb muscle going from playing a Jem to Wiz.

Tags
alex lifeson , alexi laiho , basswood bodies , dimarzio chopper , direct mount pickups , double cutaway , gary moore , guthrie govan , ibanez necks , ibanez roadstar , legato technique , leo fender , mahogony body , michael romeo , mount pickups , neal schon , neck joints , neck pockets , pat metheny , pickup cavity , pickup ring , prs guitar , prs guitars , richie sambora , scratch plate , stanley jordan , steve lukather , suhr guitars , suhr standard , upper fret , upper frets , vintage strat , wizard neck profile , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode