Which Wizard II neck U recommend? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Which Wizard II neck U recommend?

Hi Folks!
I'm in the market for a wizard II because of its thicker profile. however not sure if there are differences. would an RG2XX neck be different than and RG4XX, in terms of frets, and quality? I would ideally want a WizardII with stainless steel frets and [email protected] 1st fret rather than the 18 thickness

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Banned

Re: Which Wizard II neck U recommend?

yes there is a difference in those two types, its all in wood grade, overall flatness and precision of neck, the higher model u go, the diffren production necks that are made
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 AM

Why would they call them wizard II necks if they all were different?

The demensions are all the same, some may add a bubinga [email protected] here and there but the wizard II is the wizard II.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM

funny and long story dude..

japanese wizard II neck is different than korean WII neck, not to mention indonesian/ china WII neck.
They can put the same dimension on the catalogue, but the fact is : they feel different.

for example : I used to had 4 korean RGs : RG270DX, RGR 220DX, RGR320 DX, and RG 320 DX QM. They all claimed as W II neck.
and guess what? none of them have same dimension and feel. One is thicker than others, one is smaller than others, one is faster than others...etc..

now come to japanese WII : RG 680 CM claimed as WII neck, as well as RGR580, I used to had them both too. The neck on RGR580 is the thickest of all WII neck I ever played! the neck on RG 680 Cm is narrower.
I can't blame it on the japanese craftmanship since these two are their domestic model, so they could have something different in the recipe.

so.. good luck on your quest for the W II neck, it might surprise you depends on what you found
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 AM

And to just confuse you even more....

My 2007 PGM 301, 2002 3120, 1990 760 and finally my 2002 421 are all made in Japan and have different neck profiles.

I say get a neck, and then shape to your liking.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Dee

I've had 3 Wiazards and 1 Wizard Prestige. The thinnest? The most recent, an RG 20th. I measured my 1990 RG750 Wizard, which I swear feels thinner, but actually it's about 1mm thicker than the 20th. The Prestige (RG3120) was pretty nice but it didn't feel as fast and fluid as any of the original Wizards. So yeah, feel and measurements definitely can vary, even on those that are supposedly the same dimensions. The only way to get what you want is to play 'em.

As for the Wizard 2, I think the fretwork is the main difference in all the ones I've tried, with the lower-end RG's obviously having less attention to detail, rougher end finishing, and the inability to be as well set up with a very low action without buzzing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 AM

I have a Japanese Wizard II on my RG470. The finishing and quality were much better than the other's by far, and it was indeed the flattest of the bunch I've played. (370 Indonesia, 270 Korea, 470 Korea) I have since sanded mine down to a flatter profile, and it's a much faster neck now.

The fret finishing on the Japanese WII is also much better. Not the greatest, but much better.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I've had 3 Wiazards and 1 Wizard Prestige. The thinnest? The most recent, an RG 20th. I measured my 1990 RG750 Wizard, which I swear feels thinner, but actually it's about 1mm thicker than the 20th. The Prestige (RG3120) was pretty nice but it didn't feel as fast and fluid as any of the original Wizards. So yeah, feel and measurements definitely can vary, even on those that are supposedly the same dimensions. The only way to get what you want is to play 'em.

As for the Wizard 2, I think the fretwork is the main difference in all the ones I've tried, with the lower-end RG's obviously having less attention to detail, rougher end finishing, and the inability to be as well set up with a very low action without buzzing.
I feel much the same way. I could swear my old '91 570 neck was thinner than the 20th 550. Maybe there's some subleties in feel that are different from the added titanium reinforcements or the thin walnut strips. I think construction is a little different.
Wizard 2 also has 3 and 5 piece construction; with cheaper models getting 3 piece. My RG3 feels different than the RGT42 or the RGR420, even though by dimmensions they're supposed to be the same.
I like how the RG3's feel but it takes a bit of time to set them up right.
But Dee's right; the only way to get what you want is to play them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM

my 91 550 is ridiculously thinner than my 98 550.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh0licious View Post
my 91 550 is ridiculously thinner than my 98 550.
Did you take measurements?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Did you take measurements?
ok not ridiculously, just wanted to make a point

but definetly very noticeable, and i'm not usually one to notice small subtleties.

how exactly would i take measurements? i am n00b

Tags
stainless steel frets , steel frets , wizard prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode