Wizard Neck & .011 Strings - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Question Wizard Neck & .011 Strings

Hi Folks,

I'm about to become the proud owner of a '01 RG3120DR. Can the wizard prestige neck handle the tension created by a set of .011-.052 strings? I realize adjustments will need to be made - just want to make sure I'm not going into dangerous territory.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Re: Wizard Neck & .011 Strings

That shouldn't be anywhere near dangerous territory. I'm not sure what kind of tolerances are on it, but I would suspect dangerous territory would be beyond any of the electric string gauges which are mass produced.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 06:57 PM

Should be no problem. I run 10's on that guitar. The only thing I'd probably do in your case is back the truss rod off before removing strings. But in general the point of the truss rod is to counteract the tension of the strings, so you should be fine as long as you keep the neck in a normal amount of relief. When stringing the guitar, I'd probably check the neck releif periodically as you're tuning up and increasing tension, making adjustments as needed.

Oh another thing your intonation will be way out when going to those heavy strings. Make sure you have an intonation tool handy. Mine needed some pretty significant adustments just to use the 10's.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 09-23-2008 at 06:48 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM

As long as you make sure to get your axe adjusted accordingly, it's no problem. I use 0.12 - 0.56 and tune to B on all my guitars and have never had any problems.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belial View Post
As long as you make sure to get your axe adjusted accordingly, it's no problem. I use 0.12 - 0.56 and tune to B on all my guitars and have never had any problems.
Thats kind of like saying cliff diving is perfectly safe because you've never been hurt doing it. Then saying you had the landing bit dug 20ft deeper as if that had nothing to do with the previous statement.

Tuning to B takes a LOT of tension off the neck.

----------------
Now playing: The Beatles - Roll over Beethoven
via FoxyTunes
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Thats kind of like saying cliff diving is perfectly safe because you've never been hurt doing it. Then saying you had the landing bit dug 20ft deeper as if that had nothing to do with the previous statement.

Tuning to B takes a LOT of tension off the neck.
I know that! That's why I mentioned that as long as it's adjusted accordingly then there's no problem :-) I haven't had problems on any of my 7 guitars. Just make sure it's set up by a guy who knows what he's doing.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 PM

I think you may have missed my point...you haven't had any problems, but your preferred setup reduces standard tension by a vast amount. Just having heavier strings won't cause a neck to warp, its the TENSION those strings are exerting on the neck. You're tuning down to goddamn B. The tension is lower. The neck is under less tension because of this.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but threadstarter is setting his guitar up for 11's in standard. That means he'll almost definitely have MORE tension than you, even though your strings are thicker. Your situations and setups are not comparable.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:15 PM

I run 11s with a 65-70 low string on my uv tuned to aeadgbe and I've never had a problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 AM

I'm thinking of putting 11-48 on my 6 string RG in standard. I'm guessing all I need to do it add an extra spring (total of 4) and adjust the truss rod a bit and it should be fine.

I have another RG in D standard with 11-48, with 3 springs they are pushed all the way into the body and then tension is fine, bridge it floating parallel.

Tags
heavy gauge strings , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode