wizard neck vs. J custom neck thickness - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
wizard neck vs. J custom neck thickness

I really dig the feel of my wizard necks on my FGM100 and S2540 but am now getting the urge to get a J Custom in the future but I'm concerned that the neck is a lot fatter per this page.

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm

That won't help me as I had to sell my Jackson SL-1 due to tendinitis issues in my hands/wrists so the wizard neck is perfect for me.

So according to this chart above, is the J Custom neck THAT much fatter? Do they make an S series body, weight, neck type J Custom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 AM

Re: wizard neck vs. J custom neck thickness

I think it depends on the model. I think the neck on my HRG01 is a little thicker than my RG8420FE BX, but I don't see it as a big deal since I can go from my RG550 (wizard neck) to my J Customs with no issues, but then I have big hands. I have tendonitis and slight carpal tunnel as well and actually feel the slightly thicker J Custom neck is actually better for me.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 AM

Hey, this page on necks is not up to date!! AT ALL!

Actually the recent J-custom necks are thinnner than the wizard!! My 8470 and 8320 both have the new J-custom neck: 17mm and 19mm at the 12th fret. However is is a bit larger also 43 and 58mm. In my opinion the best Ibanez neck EVER (well in line with the JPM neck)!!! (also due to the awesome velvet touch finish)...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 AM

Really ? I have a new 8420 and I think the wizard on my RG550 is thinner than my 8420. i'll have to measure them when I get home from work. both are great necks, I can't see someone going wrong with a j custom.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Dee

I agree, you can't really go wrong with a J.

I love the Wizard, but I'll play any neck as long as the guitar is well set up. Besides, a bit of variation is a good thing. I noticed that certain songs are more comfortable when played on a thicker neck, so really my requirements depend on what I'm doing. For all-out shred, I can't think of a better neck than a Wizard, though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Yep super wizard on j-custom

oops does not work...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 AM

does anyone know how come the new J Custom necks are made in Fujigen? The necks seem to be the same as Prestige ones.. the only difference appears to be the "slilky velvet touch" or something, which only means that the back of the neck is not finished as the headstock. which is nothing new, since i have that on both piezo prestiges (ultra neck)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Ploki, check the fret job between a Prestige and a J-Custom... you'll see what's the real difference!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 AM

point taken
so i guess the necks are made in the same factory and the fretboards and necks are assembled and finished by a different group of craftmen
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper777 View Post
Hey, this page on necks is not up to date!! AT ALL!

Actually the recent J-custom necks are thinnner than the wizard!! My 8470 and 8320 both have the new J-custom neck: 17mm and 19mm at the 12th fret. However is is a bit larger also 43 and 58mm. In my opinion the best Ibanez neck EVER (well in line with the JPM neck)!!! (also due to the awesome velvet touch finish)...
really? wow.

so who do we contact to get the neck page updated.

Pardon my ignorance but are the 8470 and 8320 6 or 7 string?

Is there a site somewhere in English that has the J Customs gtrs and pics?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 PM

no, but the measures are in arabic numbers on the ibanez.co.jp
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

cool. I found it on that .jp site. Thanks!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 PM

I'll be honest with you. I have not digged into the details of every Ibanez neck, so my comment is purely based on experience. Hope it helps nevertheless.

I mostly play Sabers. Love their super thin "Wizard" neck, you can fly on those. My S1520 and the JC S3040 both have that. My S2120x has got, on the other hand, an "Ultra" neck. Kind of unknown to me why they decided to do that if almost 100% of the other Sabers released at about the same years had Wizards. The Ultra is a bit thicker. For somebody playing Wizards for such a long time, the Ultra was a bit of an adjustment. But not too big of a deal. Just a bit of an adjustment. It is a good neck I think, but would not say it is better than the Wizard, even trying to be as unbiased as I can.

My other JC RG, has got what I think Ibanez simply calls "J-Custom" neck. It feels very very close to the Ultra. Thicker than the Wizard, that's for sure. My other reference would be the now sold RG2027x, which also had a Wizard I believe (at least it was that comfortable), and my UV777BK, whose neck also feels very close to the Wizard. Very comfortable to play as well.

So a J-Custom neck would require some adjustment period for somebody who is used to playing Wizards, as I was. But I think it should be very minor, a non-issue I'd adventure to say. But only way to know is by trying them yourself.

Gus.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Correction/update: The J-Custom neck is indeed a bit thiner than the Ultra. Just a tad, but it is.

Gus.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

this model has the wizard dimensions.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/produc...8420FE_BX.html

damn nice, but black, eh.

Tags
custom necks , ibanez neck , jpm neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode