Wolfgangs... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Wolfgangs...

Sorry, i know there are many old threads, ive read them all... but the thing is that most posts on them are either "its the bestest axe i ever owned" or "its a 600 bucks axe with ed's name on it / peavy sucks"...

i tried a korean QT at a store, i liked the shape, neck and all, didnt feel quite cheap, but it didnt feel quite great either... What im really looking for is a Standard in that creme/ivory colour...

so i was hoping i could get some objective opinions from people whos got them and all that...

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 05:02 PM

I've got an amber Standard, and I really like it.

My 2 cents:

A really solidly built, quality guitar.

I really like the pickups. Very subjective: Overall, to me the guitar sounds not too midrangey, bassy but still with definition. However, unplugged the low E may sound a bit tubby. But I like it a lot. Clean or dirty, I like the sound.

The neck feels great to me, narrow but clubby (although some may not like the oil-finished neck as it can get dirty quite easily).
I also like the flat-mounted Floyd and D-tuna. Once set up it works nicely. I know it can be made to float, of course, but the Wolfie works best that way.

At the same time, there are some things that don't quite fit me; I find it a bit bottom-heavy, balance-wise, and being used to the comfy jem/uv shape, the back of the Wolfie digs into the ribs a bit.

Invariably the comparison with the EB EVH or Axis will come up. Can't comment on the Axis, but I also owned the original EB EVH. They do feel very different (to me). The Wolfie neck feels a bigger and slightly wider than the EB. I do miss the EB's neck. I prefer the EB's toggle switch location over the Wolfie. But both are real good guitars and can be appreciated on their own merit.

Overall, I like the Wolfie a lot. The ivory one looks real nice too. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

wemedge
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks!!

couple questions... the wiring is just standard "les paul" wiring, right? can it be wired for coil tappin?

do you find it "versatile" enough to go from slash-like rnr rythm to lets say Satch leads? what about clean jazzy chords?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 11:08 AM

The Wolfie wiring is as follows:

Up = bridge pickup
Center = both
Down = neck

You can tap it with a push-pull pot if you don't want to drill extra holes for a switch.

Versatility: Yes, it is for me because it has both clean and distorted tones that I like (straight to amp, no processing). I find that it handles clean tones admirably. Yes, clean jazz chords would work.

I can't comment specifically on the Slash or Satriani tones, but I can say that there is enough difference between the neck and bridge position to go from chunky rhythm to a "lead" sound with more definition, yes.

hope this helps,

good luck with your acquisition.
wemedge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 PM

I have a USA Wolf Special and I'm fond of it - but at the same time, I own 7 Ernie Ball Music Man Axises, so you know where my loyalties lay... But the Wolfgang is a great rock guitar for the money, and the neck - tho' not up to EBMM standards imho - is one of the nicest on the market, even if it gets filthy in three gigs flat!

you can check out my wolf here!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanx guys, seems ill try to get my hands on it

Anyone else feel free to join and post bout them

edit: Jim, i noticed in your site you used to have a JPM, if you had to compare it to the Wolfgang (or the Axis) what would you say?

and i love the RG-Jim
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 09:42 AM
RCB

There is a guy in argentina that seems desperate to swap it for any high end Ibanez. Ive tried a couple fo them here in Mexico. Not a bad guitar, but I hated the neck profile and the shape of the guitar. You can get them very cheap here if you look hard enough.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 3
I had a wolfgang standard and special over the years. Both were very nice guitars... the neck, fretjob were tons better on the standard. Overall look on the standard was very nice too. This was before they did the archtops.

I think they are very nice guitars for the money, but they seem to get boring. I think the problem is that they are very much set on creating an EVH sound and at the time, I didn't really want that. I've always though about doing a VH cover band, and if I did, a Wolfgang would be the way to go. If you want to play Vai songs or Metallica songs or your own songs, chances are you'll just find yourself picking up a different guitar. It's not that they aren't versatile, they are just set on one playing philosiphy to the extreme.

If I won the lottery though, I'd have a Wolfgang laying around. Or an EB VH model... they are pretty similar other than the pickup switch location and the necks on the EB's seem to be much harder maple. (from my observation)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:50 PM

I love my Ivory USA Std Wolfgang even if it is pretty beat up now!!

U have to clean the neck about twice a year but thats a good time to also do a proper set up as well, GET ONE!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
Jim, i noticed in your site you used to have a JPM, if you had to compare it to the Wolfgang (or the Axis) what would you say?
The Wolf's neck is a lot bigger than the Viper neck on the IBZ JPM, and the pickups are a little harsher, rawer... You can get up bend on the JPM too that you won't get with the Wolfie's down-bend-only trem set-up, but you can't drop-D between songs with a JPM... I really liked the middle pickup position on the JPM, too. The neck is the big seller for me on the Wolf - the JPM would win out on most other fronts...

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge position , clean tone , coil tap , distorted tone , distorted tones , ernie ball , les paul , pickup switch , toggle switch , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what are peavey wolfgangs worth?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode