A Wolfie in search of a name. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Cool A Wolfie in search of a name.

Recently I bought a new ride off the 'Bay: a circa 2002-ish Peavey Wolfgang Special EXP with a trans-black-quilt deck.

She's in dead mint - I'm talking shipping plastic still on the 'tronics covers, no dings, no scratches, not even a finger print on the finish mint - condition and plays like an absolute dream. This may very well be the last guitar I ever buy. I've already upgraded some of the hardware to my liking and I plan on eventually dumping the Korean Schaller clone Floyd for a German made Gotoh GE1996T when my assets are a little more liquid. But for now, I'm in love. The neck is perfect for my hand and playing is almost effortless. It's like I've finally found a guitar that I don't have to, for lack of a better phrase, fight with anymore. I have literally played this guitar more in the month I've had her than the last two guitars combined over the last 10 years.

The only problem is that she has no name. My friends and fellow musicians have always named my girls for me and, being a predominantly metal player, my axes have tended to sport violent names like, 'The Asphalt Daemon,' 'The Chainsaw,' and 'The Punisher.' However, since I don't play in a band anymore and none of my friends are really musicians, I am having trouble pinning a moniker on her. Besides which, she is, at least to me, a bit more elegant than those prior names imply. The pictures below really don't do her justice, but have a look.

http://jereth.twilightparadox.com/Li...g/MyWolfie.JPG
http://jereth.twilightparadox.com/LinkedPics/Wolfgang/$_57d.JPG
http://jereth.twilightparadox.com/LinkedPics/Wolfgang/$_57e.JPG
http://jereth.twilightparadox.com/LinkedPics/Wolfgang/$_57f.JPG
http://jereth.twilightparadox.com/LinkedPics/Wolfgang/$_57g.JPG
http://jereth.twilightparadox.com/LinkedPics/Wolfgang/$_57i.JPG

So, waddaya think? If anyone could help me give her a name I'd be very appreciative.

LJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Re: A Wolfie in search of a name.

Don't know about a name but the guitar is beautiful so give it a sexy female name...
rs70chgrrt is online  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: A Wolfie in search of a name.

rs70chgrrt,

Thanks. Yeah, she's a beauty. I've been rolling the name, "Spectre," around in my head, but still haven't quite settled on it, yet. Any suggestions would still be appreciated.

LJ
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 PM

Yeah, thats a beauty! For me... something ends up being called whatever comes out of my mouth when something goes wrong... lol. Usually it sticks.

Hmmm... something dark and sexy? How about "Elvira"? Well... the Mistress of the Dark used to be pretty hot anyway.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

FireEagle,

Now that's an interesting name idea! I love the reasoning behind it, too. Well done! Gonna stew on it for a bit.

Keep the suggestions coming, folks!

LJ
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Reviews: 21

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

Or the more modern "Fenris".

Sweet axe btw!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Great suggestion, Mike579. I love the imagery. I never would have thought of that on my own. Thanks!

Keep 'em coming! I'm going to be compiling a list of the best names and then boiling it down to one. Thanks again to all who have made suggestions so far.

LJ
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM

I have an amber one myself. I named it after my girlfriend Lauralee. I changed the tuning buttons to pearloid schallers like the usa wolfies. Upgraded the volume pot to an evh, and an mxr knob like the fender wolfies. I sanded the neck finish off and oiled it down. Then added an original floyd rose after the peavey tremolo stripped out an intonation screw. Its a wonderful sounding and very very very easy playing instrument. It feels very spongy and sounds great.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM

you got that Wolfie nickname going around and you don't pick it as a name for your guitar ? I would have gone for it, totally.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: A Wolfie in search of a name.

@iGeriya,

Not sure what you're trying to say, here. Which nickname? Wolfie? Do you know how many Wolfgang guitars, spread over 3 manufacturers now, are called, "Wolfie"? Or did you mean something else?

LJ
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Coal.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

@GUITARMAGEDDON,

Nice input, there. I like the imagery: it's incendiary and it burns for a good, long time. Not sure how well it plays off the elegance of the quilting, but I will certainly keep it in the running. Thanks!

LJ
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Deno View Post
@iGeriya,

Which nickname? Wolfie? Do you know how many Wolfgang guitars, spread over 3 manufacturers now, are called, "Wolfie"?

LJ
My bad, didn't know about that .
You can still look up on a calendar for names, pick up the saint's name that shows up on the day you got that guitar home. My first axe, I got it on Valentines day ... not too hard to figures out the name of that guitar now :P. That particular one is metal guitar though.

For my own axes, I try to keep names pretty simple, which won't tell people what kind of music I play on them. Must be a name that fits all style of music.

But that's only me
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Wink Re: A Wolfie in search of a name.

@iGeriya

Good points, all. Thanks for the input. I will certainly keep that in mind.

LJ
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Black Tuna.

"Black" for the color obviously, and "Tuna" fŲr the D-tuner

Tags
evh guitars , peavey , quilt , special , wolfgang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode