Wood and it's tonal character for custom Jem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Wood and it's tonal character for custom Jem

I am thinking of building a custom Jem.

Here are my wood choices.

Padauk
Alder
Ash
Swamp Ash
Mahogany
Maple

The Jem will have no monkey grip.
The Jem will be 22 frets.
The Jem will not have HSH, but instead SSS.
I am undecided on a hard tail or not.
I am debating on paint or nitro finish, hey if I am getting premium wood, why sacrifice tone by drowning it in paint.

PLEASE let me know what you think about what these premium woods may yield in tone.

I mean, really, should the body be one piece or two etc.

I just want to hear your experiences and advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Wood and it's tonal character for custom Jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremoJem View Post

The Jem will have no monkey grip.
The Jem will be 22 frets.
The Jem will not have HSH, but instead SSS.
I am undecided on a hard tail or not.
I am debating on paint or nitro finish, hey if I am getting premium wood, why sacrifice tone by drowning it in paint.
So it'll be a Stratocaster then?
Pick alder.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

It is funny you should say that.

In fact I put some thought into it today again, and thought I should look to see what wood Fender used in some of the Stratocasters that I really like.

Here is the reason.

I love the sound of the Jem7VWH...and I have one.

I also love the sound of a Stratocaster, but I don't have one. The reason being I do not like the necks on them...at all!

So I thought to myself, if I made a custom guitar I would model it after the best of both of those guitars.

When deciding on the pickups I would select them based on output and properties that would give me the best of both models, being single coil and humbuckers. This may allow me to get the qualities associated with both the Jem and Strat. Of course there would be some sacrifices made as I expected when taking on this project.

I want the best of both worlds...cake and eat it too. I must be crazy...right?

My thoughts are to use a nitros finish that starts at the extreme edges of the body with a solid pearl white, much like my Jem. Then, I would quickly fade to clear when moving towards the center of the body where the pick ups are.

I have not decided on a pick guard, but if so it would be clear...of course.

So now I think the choice of wood would be either Alder or some species of Ash, but I need to do some research to see what Cray, Yngwie, Clapton, Beck, Johnson, use.

Just checked...the internet is amazing...Alder it is.

O.K. now here is a big one that totally threw me for a loop.

Is it true that the neck material makes a big difference in tone.

I have never had anything but Rosewood and I read on another forum that the difference in tone from Rosewood to Maple is huge.

Is that really true. I have never heard such a thing.

Let me know and thanks.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM

on my jem project i did a few years ago, i went with ash. i see that a lot of the same things you are concerned about, i had the same concerns. i wanted a jem, but i didn't want a jem, too. my 2 favorite jems were the root beer and EVO. i also loved the grain of the RB and ash has that and so off i went in the vintage strat direction... 70's in particular. so i went with duncans: a stag mag in the neck, vintage single in the mid, and custom in the bridge. it turned out amazing. maybe i'll post pics if i get a chance.

rich
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremoJem View Post
Just checked...the internet is amazing...Alder it is.

O.K. now here is a big one that totally threw me for a loop.

Is it true that the neck material makes a big difference in tone.

I have never had anything but Rosewood and I read on another forum that the difference in tone from Rosewood to Maple is huge.

Is that really true. I have never heard such a thing.

Let me know and thanks.
As mentioned in the post above, you could also take a look at using Swamp Ash for the project. Both Ash and Alder are used to make Stratocasters. Alder has a bit more mid range to the sound, while Swamp Ash is very balanced and works well with all frequencies. Can't go wrong with either of them. If you are looking at a transparent finish, Swamp Ash has much nicer looking grain.

The wood for the neck, you might want to go Maple. Rosewood can be used, but it's a much darker wood, in terms of tone, than Maple. And if you are making a Jem Strat, you don't want it sounding dark, obviously. And yeah, the neck wood does make a difference. Basically almost everything makes a difference, one way or the other.

BTW, this sound like a nice project. Hope you'll post progress once it does start
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM

Are you going to scallop the neck? Jems have the last 4 scalloped (so that would be the last 2 on yours) and Malmsteen has them all scalloped
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 PM
rgr

I have, or have had, all of the above, if you want a staty sound go with Alder, Swamp Ash, or plain Ash. Alder has slightly more mids, ash is a little brighter and more scooped in the mids.

Paduak and Mahogany are too warm and maple is at the other end of the spectrum, very bright.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brother that is very good information.

Tags
custom , jem , tonal character , wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode