Working on a project...BSB/G Vandenberg?! - Need advice and - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Working on a project...BSB/G Vandenberg?! - Need advice and

OK, I bought this Vandenberg in need of a new paintjob and (over the course of two months) have Sanded down to bare wood and replaced the single in the neck position with a humbucker. *I can't keep any of the original color due to it being "rock-it" pink, think Pepto. *Anyway, I have a tone zone and Air Norton to go in this Poplar body, Maple/Ebony neck/FB guitar. *I have the original controls (V-T-3 way LP type switch) and Kahler spyder. *I have blue and green Stew Mac color tone stains and have mixed pretty close to the BSB stain color, but I like it a bit more blue. *I plan on burning, staining, and putting tung oil over everything that is not ebony (read:body/headstock/back of neck). *What do you think? *See any problems looming that I haven't thought of? *How exactly did Ibanez do their BSB Jems? *Also, I am thinking of changing the electronics around by buying the (ridiculously priced) EP-1111 switch from DiMarzio that was used in the JPM. *JPM owners, is the middle position (inside coils) sound worth it? *Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 06:03 AM

Working on a project...BSB/G Vandenberg?!

Ibanez blowtorch/Burn the body and then stain and then oil it. Very nice finish, especially the way it fades over time
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

When You say "oil" it...do you mean tung oil, or did they use something else? *I haven't applied the tung oil to anything yet to test and can't say that I remember exactly how the last BSB I saw felt.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 07:51 AM

That middle position on the JPM is quite beautiful, and gives you that crisp clean tone that no other guitar can get, unless you put the pickups in. *You don't need to buy a 3-way switch, you can get the 5-way turned into one, but like everything in this great country you need $$. *That's my opinion!
* ~Adam
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:12 AM

Quote:
ScottM on 12:03 pm on April 19, 2002
When You say "oil" it...do you mean tung oil, or did they use something else? *I haven't applied the tung oil to anything yet to test and can't say that I remember exactly how the last BSB I saw felt.
Yep, I do believe it is tung oil. How it feels? when you've just stained it, it'll feel matt and quite cool, and as you play it more the neck gets smoother and less stained. Very nice.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 03:02 PM

If I might make a suggestion, I used a heat gun to burn my RG750 (project to be completed this summer) *- it worked quite well, and it's a lot safer than taking a blow torch to your guitar
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Jimi D on 3:02 pm on April 19, 2002
If I might make a suggestion, I used a heat gun to burn my RG750 (project to be completed this summer) *- it worked quite well, and it's a lot safer than taking a blow torch to your guitar
Well, um, actually I have already done it. *I get what you are saying...about the burning. *I almost did that once, but otherwise it has been going pretty well.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 03:41 PM

The middle position is amazing sounding, I would not go with out it. *Though if you want you could always just do a coil tap like the JS series, that way you would retain the three way switching and you would get even more coil-splitting options.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 10:53 PM

Quote:
AdamBilz on 7:51 am on April 19, 2002
That middle position on the JPM is quite beautiful, and gives you that crisp clean tone that no other guitar can get
Dunno... my Parker has the same switching, and it gets quite an amazing clean twang out of that middle position. The original pickups in the Fly are based on the Tone Zone and Air Norton, so it's not too far off, i'm sure.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 05:52 PM

May I suggest a lighter and a can of deoderant???? *If it does not work on the guitar get your roadie/mate to stand behind your amp at your next gig and let him be your pyro man, you will have the best smelling gig around too!! :laugh:

:thumbsup:
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
strat110 on 5:52 pm on April 21, 2002
May I suggest a lighter and a can of deoderant???? *If it does not work on the guitar get your roadie/mate to stand behind your amp at your next gig and let him be your pyro man, you will have the best smelling gig around too!! :laugh:

:thumbsup:
ah yes, I can see it now. *The lights are bright and I'm starting to sweat, but Luckily I can just rub the guitar on my underarms and dryness is my reward!
Seriously though, which deodorant has the best tone? *Arrid? *Mennen? *I've heard that Right Guard has a nice Midrangey-thing going...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 07:18 PM

Well this opens up a whole new can of worms...

Really there are two routes to take.

Deodarent or Anti Perspirant.

Whislt one may have more pungent quality, the other will be more personally satisfying in the dryness dept.

If you are a shredder I would recommend anti perspirant, if more laid back blues then deodarent.

If blues if your game I would recommend a UK brand by the name of Lynx. otherwise go for Sure.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat110
Well this opens up a whole new can of worms...

Really there are two routes to take.

Deodarent or Anti Perspirant.
If you are a shredder I would recommend anti perspirant, .
I disagree... I would think a shredder would want more of the Lysol type of approach. Or would that be along the industrial metal lines?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Well now I'm stumped...I play mostly progressive, so I'm not sure either is eactly right. I think I'll try Mitchum, it seems to be middle of the road.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Guys, I got the guitar finished, but I don't know how to post pictures. Can somebody help me out here? Do I have to have them up on a website or can I upload them here somewhere?

Tags
air norton , clean tone , coil tap , ebony neck , ibanez jpm , neck position , tone zone , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode