Is this worth it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Is this worth it?

This is a rocket roll from 1983. Candy Apple. The asking price, used is about 900 USD. It was never released in Japan supposedly but I'm curious if that is a total rip off, or a decent price. There are pictures on the right side showing a lot of the damage over 30 years:

https://www.shimokura-webshop.com/pr...oduct_id=57545
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Re: Is this worth it?

That's about $900, even after the recent fall in the yen?

I won't speak to it from a collectability standpoint because frankly I don't care, really, but $900USD can buy you a LOT of guitar in a used Ibanez, especially in Japan, these days. That's a tough sell.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
That's about $900, even after the recent fall in the yen?

I won't speak to it from a collectability standpoint because frankly I don't care, really, but $900USD can buy you a LOT of guitar in a used Ibanez, especially in Japan, these days. That's a tough sell.
It's more like 840 or so, I just make it easier for people to understand so I make it a round number.

I totally agree. My 560 and 580 together (had I paid full price for the 580) would have cost 80,000 yen. Ishibashi has a black rocket roll for like 45,000 yen (half the price) so I was wondering if just because it's candy apple and allegedly not released in Japan, if it's worth double the price of the black RR.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Reviews: 2

That's definitely an RR550 ('83?), but I've never seen one in FR (Fire Red). They were all supposed to be cherry burst.

The RR550 was the top of the line...... the black RR may be something entirely different. You better find out what model it is and what hardware is on it. Is it bolt-on or set neck?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
That's definitely an RR550 ('83?), but I've never seen one in FR (Fire Red). They were all supposed to be cherry burst.

The RR550 was the top of the line...... the black RR may be something entirely different. You better find out what model it is and what hardware is on it. Is it bolt-on or set neck?
The black one is an rr1000, it's on ishibashis used page for ibanez.

So this RR550 is really rare. Worth that price though?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The black one is an rr1000, it's on ishibashis used page for ibanez.

So this RR550 is really rare. Worth that price though?
Maybe. If it's original. It may not be - look at the chip at the end of the horn, there's clearly some red clear underneath that, it could be a resprayed cherry burst. If so it's done well, but that wouldn't make it more "collectible."

So, what's your objective here? Are you looking to buy it to sell at a profit? If so, if you can, check it out in person. Are you looking for a cool guitar to add to your collection? Then decide if it's worth it to YOU, and if you would get $850 of happiness out of owning that and don't need the money for anything else, go for it. Are you looking for a killer player? Just grab a good RG550 and be done with it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Maybe. If it's original. It may not be - look at the chip at the end of the horn, there's clearly some red clear underneath that, it could be a resprayed cherry burst. If so it's done well, but that wouldn't make it more "collectible."

So, what's your objective here? Are you looking to buy it to sell at a profit? If so, if you can, check it out in person. Are you looking for a cool guitar to add to your collection? Then decide if it's worth it to YOU, and if you would get $850 of happiness out of owning that and don't need the money for anything else, go for it. Are you looking for a killer player? Just grab a good RG550 and be done with it.
I was just curious about the price. I had noticed it some time ago, but wasn't sure if that was a good price for it or if it's a rip off. Ever since I saw a Rocket Roll for the first time, I've been curious about having one at some point.

Tags
rocket roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode