Is this worth it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 116
Is this worth it?

Should I shell out 180 Euros for a set of Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine active pickups? This pickup set includes both a neck and bridge humbucker as well as replacement pots.

Now - although I have no doubts that these pickups kick ass - is it worth dunking them in a 2006 MII (Indonesia) Ibanez RG350dx?

Or should I just keep the money and save up for a better guitar, like a RG550 or a BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic (drool) ?

I play hard rock to heavy metal, some blues on the side. I want these pickups because I've read that they're "organic" like the JB and '59, but have a bit more output, which is exactly what I'm looking for considering I play higher gain stuff and I need to give the tubes in my Peavey Valveking 112 a bit of a boost.

JEM owners, please do not diss my gear
varador is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Braga, Portugal
Posts: 1,339
Reviews: 4
Re: Is this worth it?

Check out the user reviews on Harmony Central...
Crazy_Guitar is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5,711
Re: Is this worth it?

If you get along with your RG350 nicely then go for it.

If you are questioning if it is "worth it" right now you will end up in one of three places if you put the new pups in it:

1) You'll love it.

2) You'll still regret not upgrading your guitar but still love what the pups do.

3) You'll be sad you didn't upgrade your guitar and don't like the pups (not likely on the pups )

All three are choices you'll have to make for yourself. Good luck.
screamndemon69 is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:15 PM
bdk
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 284
Re: Is this worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Should I shell out 180 Euros for a set of Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine active pickups? This pickup set includes both a neck and bridge humbucker as well as replacement pots.

Now - although I have no doubts that these pickups kick ass - is it worth dunking them in a 2006 MII (Indonesia) Ibanez RG350dx?

Or should I just keep the money and save up for a better guitar, like a RG550 or a BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic (drool) ?

I play hard rock to heavy metal, some blues on the side. I want these pickups because I've read that they're "organic" like the JB and '59, but have a bit more output, which is exactly what I'm looking for considering I play higher gain stuff and I need to give the tubes in my Peavey Valveking 112 a bit of a boost.

JEM owners, please do not diss my gear
I cannot say this enough: DON'T DO IT MAN!!! DO NOT BUY THOSE PUPS!! They are terrible. They have WAY too much gain. You won't even be able to get a clean sound out of the neck pickup without turning the volume past 1/3 open. SD tried but they didn't put much effort into it. The pickups are buzzy and sound terrible. The "organic" feel of SD does NOT come through because the gain is ridiculously high.

Again, this is my personal experience with these pups, you might love them, but I haven't heard anything good about them. My suggestions: get a Seymour Duncan SH6, the Duncan Distortion, it has a lot of gain and still sounds organic and crunchy. In the neck go Dimarzio PAF Pro it's the best neck pickup I've heard. THEN, if you don't like the tone, take the pups out, and stick the stock ones back in and sell the guitar. THEN go SHOPPING!!! RG550 is a great choice, RG770's are fantastic too. One of the most underrated Ibanez's out there has to be the RG520QS. Sapele top, mahogany body, Edge trem, and super wizard neck and every single one I've come across plays uber high quality.
bdk is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Eindhoven
Posts: 95
Re: Is this worth it?

I dont know (read: havent heard) the pups your talking about but I must say that 180 euros isnt a bargain for a set of pups. Relatively speaking its a very expensive upgrade.

I know that guitar players like to buy and sell gear, it comes with the territory i guess, i know ive owned and sold quite a lot of em.

One golden rule: If youre not sure about your guitar, DONT upgrade it
mike80sguy is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 116
Re: Is this worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
I cannot say this enough: DON'T DO IT MAN!!! DO NOT BUY THOSE PUPS!! They are terrible. They have WAY too much gain. You won't even be able to get a clean sound out of the neck pickup without turning the volume past 1/3 open. SD tried but they didn't put much effort into it. The pickups are buzzy and sound terrible. The "organic" feel of SD does NOT come through because the gain is ridiculously high.

Again, this is my personal experience with these pups, you might love them, but I haven't heard anything good about them. My suggestions: get a Seymour Duncan SH6, the Duncan Distortion, it has a lot of gain and still sounds organic and crunchy. In the neck go Dimarzio PAF Pro it's the best neck pickup I've heard. THEN, if you don't like the tone, take the pups out, and stick the stock ones back in and sell the guitar. THEN go SHOPPING!!! RG550 is a great choice, RG770's are fantastic too. One of the most underrated Ibanez's out there has to be the RG520QS. Sapele top, mahogany body, Edge trem, and super wizard neck and every single one I've come across plays uber high quality.
Thanks for your input bdk... What can you say about the SH6 for bridge vs the DiMarzio Evolution? I've been thinking of getting the latter since it's praised everywhere and supposedly makes you a better player since it picks up anything and everything you play, thus letting your style out through the amp.

Also, I agree with you mike80sguy that 180 euros is deffo a lot for a set of (bad) pickups. Too much, in fact
varador is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 PM
bdk
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 284
Re: Is this worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Thanks for your input bdk... What can you say about the SH6 for bridge vs the DiMarzio Evolution? I've been thinking of getting the latter since it's praised everywhere and supposedly makes you a better player since it picks up anything and everything you play, thus letting your style out through the amp.

Also, I agree with you mike80sguy that 180 euros is deffo a lot for a set of (bad) pickups. Too much, in fact
I have the Evolution and the Duncan Distortion. They are very different tonally. The DD sounds like a super hot rodded Seymour Duncan. It maintains a vintagey tone but has higher output. It's crunchy and has a decent amount of mids to provide that vintage tone.

The Evolution is a totally different pickup. It has less mids and has a more modern tone to it. Now, this is just my opinion. I think both are great, and they both provide that awesome Bridge Pickup kick that folks are looking for. Just in a different way.

The best think about pickups is if you buy them used on **** you can resell for the same price and try something else. If you buy new, I know Dimarzio and I believe SD allow you to exchange within 36 hours.

What kind of music do you play? Any high gain pickup is going to force you to be careful with your picking and attack. Both pickups are sensitive. Neither have a "gated" type output.
bdk is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 116
Re: Is this worth it?

I play mainly 80s thrash and heavy metal (Megadeth, Judas Priest etc), 80s hard rock (glam e.g. Poison), and some blues on the side. I don't need a perfect tone for the blues, it's more something I practice because of advice given in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwnPpU1VDrg

Since I have a Peavey Valveking 112 that I find more adept at getting vintage tones than modern ones due to the inherent warmth of the distortion (not something I can explain, it's just... there), I think I'll go for the SH-6. Also, listening to some clips on youtube really clarified why the SH-6's distortion is referred to as "crunchy" and I love that tone. It's organic, crunchy, thick, like your breakfast cereal It makes power chords sound very rich, it's cool Added midrange is definitely a plus, I like midrange-heavy tones like Brian May's.

Would the SH-6 sit well in a midrange basswood guitar (RG350dx)?
varador is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Eindhoven
Posts: 95
Re: Is this worth it?

Why not drop in Breeds, or if you really want a fat sound id go for Super 3 and Super 2.
The hell of it is that you wont know exactly what youll like unless you actually hook em up. You could use the pick up selector on dimarzio.com for some specs on sound of all their pups. keep in mind that the type wood can suck or enhance cerain ranges.
If I were you Id go and check out some other (higher end) Ibanez guitars. Find a sound you like and try to copy that by selecting the right pups. Ibz is easy as most guitars are basswood in RG series.
mike80sguy is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 116
Re: Is this worth it?

OK dude mike80sguy I dropped my 350 today off at a guitar tech's for a complete setup: neck (truss rod adjustment), frets (they're slightly wavy ), trem, etc... And I ordered an SD SH6 distortion from the shop to be installed during the setup. I'll let you know how I like it.
varador is offline  
Reply

Tags
basswood guitar , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , dave mustaine , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , duncan distortion , edge trem , guitar players , guitar tech , heavy metal , ibanez guitars , mahogany body , neck pickup , paf pro , peavey valveking , rod adjustment , seymour duncan , super wizard neck , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth it? BozTheK Polls 8 12-10-2006 09:27 PM
What do you think these are worth? JEM77BRMR All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 13 10-01-2006 11:00 AM
Ibanez RG2EX worth it? AKMG All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 1 08-31-2006 02:34 AM
Vai's net worth? Armando Cordero Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 25 11-12-2005 11:56 AM
tone deviation/high end amps worth it? spencer096 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 18 07-03-2003 05:42 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome