Worth the Trouble? - I love my RG, except for the trem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Worth the Trouble? - I love my RG, except for the trem

I've got this RG450, which I love, except for the trem. *The neck is great (closest to the JEM profile I can find), the pickups (Evolutions) are fine, but the Trem is horrible. *I suppose I have two options, I can install a Tremsetter and hope this helps. *Or I can replace the Lo-TRS with a Lo Pro. *Which sounds better? *If I do switch it out with a Lo Pro, how much routing is required?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 06:10 PM

Worth the Trouble?

thats weird. *is it setup properly? *my guitar w/ a trs2 stays in tune fine, it just feels stiff compared to an edge. *i think i might go pickup a different bar, like that guy in the other thread suggested.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Worth the Trouble?

It has been setup properly. *My personal feeling is that the Nut and springs are probably ready to go. *I can also replace the TRS with an Chrome OFR that works fine too I suppose.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 06:29 PM

Worth the Trouble?

I'd definatley go with the OFR.

Although not Edge/Lo-Pro quality it does outshine the TRS and should be a straight swap I think. ( can anyone confirm? )

Steve
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Worth the Trouble?

I should. *In fact, the OFR stays in tune just as well as my Lo Pro, it's just a little more bulky.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 09:16 PM

Worth the Trouble?

An Edge will probly perform better than an OFR, but you'll probly need to do some routing, though I have heard of people swapping in an Edge on a 555 and not needing to do any routing, probly because of the crap quality control in Korea. If you do need to do some dremeling or routing, you can probly cover up the bare wood with some cheap model paint. You'll also need new studs, I understand that the TRS studs are much softer than the Edge studs.

ShredHead42, hmm, you're definatly a newcomer....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Worth the Trouble?

I think I will use the OFR, in addition to being a perfect fit (no routing), it also will let me block it and use the d-tuna
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:07 PM

Worth the Trouble?

well doink, your keen perception is impeccable. * what gave it away? *was it the "newcomer" *and one dot under my name?

i am very well aware that the trs 2 is not looked upon very kindly here. *i personally don't think its the horrible piece of ****
trem that everyone makes it out to be. ok, its not as smooth as an edge, but no one said it was.

im getting off topic
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Worth the Trouble?

I've seen them both ways. *I've played TRS that were fine working trems and held tune very well, but the one on my 450 is absolutely horrible. *It goes out of tune approximately every 10 minutes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 03:08 AM

Worth the Trouble?

Heh, well, sometimes old forum reg's come back, and they get one dot too, but they're by no means newbies to Jemsite. And there's gotta be a fair amount of lurkers too. I lurked for 2 months before I posted anything.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 06:07 PM

Worth the Trouble?

yeah, its interesting to see how many times a thread has been read vs. how many actual posts there are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode