would this totally kill the value of a PRS? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

would this totally kill the value of a PRS?

Hey guys, I recently picked up a PRS custom 22, and the neck is a wide fat. It's comfortable, but it's a little thick and I'm thinking of shaving it down. The back of the guitar is finished, so it would definitely be noticeable. How much would I hurt the value of the guitar by doing this? I love the guitar, and want to hold on to it, but If I get into a jam and need to sell it, would I not be able to get nearly as much because of the mod?

Thanks for your help
Nik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Re: would this totally kill the value of a PRS?

Yep, it would kill the value. I'm going to assume at least by half. If not more. I wouldn't do it. If your that worried about the resale value, I'd try to trade it for a CU22 or 24 with a Wide/Thin before shaving the neck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith
Yep, it would kill the value. I'm going to assume at least by half. If not more. I wouldn't do it. If your that worried about the resale value, I'd try to trade it for a CU22 or 24 with a Wide/Thin before shaving the neck.
Agree totally - there are thousands of PRS's out there with thin necks - try to do a swap. BTW, after a while the big necks feel great - give it a while and see how you feel, but no, no, no - no neck shaving! And besides, PRS's sound so good at least partially because they have big Mahogany necks!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:41 PM

....."would I not be able to get nearly as much because of the mod?"

You'd probably be lucky to sell her at all - PRS people are sticklers!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezPrestigeBoy
Hey guys, I recently picked up a PRS custom 22, and the neck is a wide fat. It's comfortable, but it's a little thick and I'm thinking of shaving it down. The back of the guitar is finished, so it would definitely be noticeable. How much would I hurt the value of the guitar by doing this? I love the guitar, and want to hold on to it, but If I get into a jam and need to sell it, would I not be able to get nearly as much because of the mod?

Thanks for your help
Nik
I wouldn't do that if I had that guitar, Sorry to hear you dont like the neck on that PRS Custom 22.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 PM

Yes it would absolutely kill the value of the guitar.

Look. I was an RG guy before I was a CU22 guy. I loved my thin necks. When I got my CU22 with wide-fat. I was a little worried that maybe I should have tried harder to find a wide-thin. The WF felt to big and bulky to me for the 1st two or three weeks. But I got used to it. And now I actually perfer it!! My hands dont hurt at all. They have come to love the neck profile.

And I do believe that more neck mass equals more sustain and tone overall. I can't stand Gibson Les Paul necks. They feel big and clumsy. The neck on my CU22. Perfect!! But thats just me personally.

If you haven't been playing the neck for at least a month, you need to give it a chance. If you've had the guitar for a long time and truly feel you would perfer the neck thinner. Then go out about whatever you need to do to make the guitar feel perfect to you. Thats what owning a guitar like that means. You NEED to be comfortable.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:26 PM

id chop it up
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:58 PM

I wouldn't chop it up because you might mess it up. Give it a try for a good solid month and if it's still not comfortable after that then try and either sell it or trade it towards a custom 22 with different neck dimensions.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 AM

Definately give it a try....who knows, you might like it. If you ruin it, you might regret it in the future.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarshredder7
id chop it up
me too.......mainly cause i'm not a prs fan. but if you are that worried about resale...sell it now before its worth nothing.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:42 AM

disagree ,,, if you get it properly done then i cant see a hassle? dont be tight talk to prs themselves or a good luthier, i had a very expensive classical guitar with the same hassles and i got the man that made it to do the neck shave and you would never know it had been done. hey thats just my opinion
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarshredder7
id chop it up

Regards

Andrť

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's a wide fat. I think I'm not going to have any problems.
Thanks again
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:02 PM

take a saw zaw to it... just take your time.and protect the body f from flying wood chips.and always wear eye protection
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 PM

Trade it on one you like if you don't like that neck. Look on the prsforum board, maybe, but don't screw with that neck.

Tags
gibson les paul , les paul , neck dimensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode