Which would you choose: Fender Strat Harttail or Tuneomatic bridge? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Which would you choose: Fender Strat Harttail or Tuneomatic bridge?

By Fender style I mean like the Ibanez hardtails that are not tuneomatic: RG321 RG2EX2 The current Paul Gilbert model...

Benefits as I see them:

Tuning stability is same same unless there is something I don't know about.

The Fender type can raise individual saddles. TOM cannot.

Fender a bit more easy to intonate. Yeah they are both pretty easy to intonate, but I am used to strats. Probably they are same same to intonate.

I think I like the Fender style better, but haven't had one for awhile and seem to remember saddle screws scratching my hand.

What do you prefer and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 04:46 AM

Re: Which would you choose: Fender Strat Harttail or Tuneomatic bridge?

Tune-o-matics are full of small rattly bits that don't fit well, and therefore rob sustain -they also wobble on their posts - as do the Gibson Style tailpieces. The RGs and Strats also have the added benefit of running the strings through the body (I think - Strats do in any case), which at least hypothetically increases the amount of tone transfer from the strings to the body.

If you did opt for a Tune-o-matic style setup, I'd very much be looking at Tone Pros locking hardware.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 AM

I'd say hardtail over a loose-a-matic unless you get a tone pros version. The tone pros version is pretty solid and improves over the orginal in quite a few ways.

I'd love to try a side by side test between the tone on the tunematics and fixed bridges. I'd think the tunematic would have better tone but a test would be needed to confirm that.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 PM

hardtail all the way. i like the way it feels better than the tune-o-matic
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM

i'd have to say a tunomatic looks better... normal hardtail nontrems look odd and malproportioned to me on a guitar.. but i really like the new gibraltar on the RGAs and some classy modern looking hardtails are alright..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
I'd say hardtail over a loose-a-matic unless you get a tone pros version. The tone pros version is pretty solid and improves over the orginal in quite a few ways.

I'd love to try a side by side test between the tone on the tunematics and fixed bridges. I'd think the tunematic would have better tone but a test would be needed to confirm that.

I dunno - I suspect that PRS's stoptail is probably the best (and simplest) fixed bridge there is, but they are loose on their mounting posts - as I found out to my horror as I cut the strings on my CU22 for the first time and watched the tailpiece slide down the face of the guitar across all that green flamed maple - yikes! Tone Pros Locking Studs to be added ASAP!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
I dunno - I suspect that PRS's stoptail is probably the best (and simplest) fixed bridge there is, but they are loose on their mounting posts - as I found out to my horror as I cut the strings on my CU22 for the first time and watched the tailpiece slide down the face of the guitar across all that green flamed maple - yikes! Tone Pros Locking Studs to be added ASAP!
I have to agree.
I work on mostly floyd equipped instruments, but I am seriously fond of body thru designs. Probably 'cuz I work with floaters too much. Honestly..... they sound better.

PRS makes nice stuff. No lie. Maybe we could call this professional gealousy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM

This is one of the points of guitar I feel so damn strongly about.

Hardtail feels MILES better than tune-o-matic, my palm likes hardtail more and it sits at a better position for the sort of picking I play, not to mention the way the strings seem to feel. It annoys me when Jackson, ESP and various other 'superstrat' brands opt for tune-o-matic instead of hardtail in their Fixed Bridge models. Fair enough if the top is really arched and contoured to the point that a hardtail bridge wouldn't sit perfectly flush to the body, but otherwise, c'mon, hardtails, people!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Reviews: 2

Hardtail for me, lower profile, feels better, looks better.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM

i generally prefer the tune o matic, but not the gibson version...i prefer the shaller rolling saddle version(no rattling, or string creep when bending).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 AM

Reviews: 6

Can't beat a strat hardtail for easy of use and maintanence. Don't forget the fact that it's a string thru body which will give you wicked sustain!

Tags
david mccarroll , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , flamed maple , hardtail bridge , locking stud , locking studs , paul gilbert , string thru body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode