Would you do it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Would you do it?

I have an LTD MH-301 wich neck is a little bit thicker than an Ibanez, 3mm at nut and 2 mm at 12th fret.

I do love the instrument, but I love the way my RG350 plays a lot more.

I was thinking of sanding the back of the neck to emulate an ibanez. I'd rather trade it for an RGT but this seems rather rare in my area and I haven't found anyone to trade as of now

So, would you do it and risk a major lost of value or would you just keep it original and try to trade it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Would you do it?

If you love the LTD, and are confident with sanding it then I say go for it!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Reviews: 6

Three questions:

1) Have you done this type of work on a neck before? Because, IIRC, this is a neck through, so there's no going back, and no replacing the neck if you mess up.

2) Where are you that it's so hard to find a trader?

3) What about selling this one and buying the Ibby?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

1- Never, my biggest concern! Might be the reason why I would not...

2- Quebec, Canada. The market for used gear is realy not that good, don't know why! RGT are pretty rare for a starter and the one I saw for sell where not willing to trade

3- Same as #2, used market is pretty shuttered... I've put it up for sell with "trade" opt-in, still not much feedback (except low ballers)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman View Post
1- Never, my biggest concern! Might be the reason why I would not...

2- Quebec, Canada. The market for used gear is realy not that good, don't know why! RGT are pretty rare for a starter and the one I saw for sell where not willing to trade

3- Same as #2, used market is pretty shuttered... I've put it up for sell with "trade" opt-in, still not much feedback (except low ballers)

I've lived my entire life in Quebec buddy and the used market is one of the best in the country. It is a lot slower in Vancouver and Toronto is probably on par. I made a lot of money in college, buying, trading and repairing instruments that I found in used local ads (kijiji, craigslists, lespacs) etc.

It's just no an extremely valuable instrument, so unless you come up with a reasonable price, you're going to have a hard time selling it. Again, the only factor here is probably price. It's a psychological game though. You gotta ask for 50-80 more than the price you'd settle for and describe it as OBO or Négociable. You'll usually get dealt down to that price, but every once in a while, someone pays for the full price.

I wouldn't sand the neck on that LTD, but that's just me. Keep your eyes out for 550's out there. They show up now and again, and are amazing. I've bought two in Montreal. 1 for 275$ and the other for like 350$. Pennies when you consider how great they are.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM

No. If you try to go as thin as the Ibanez, you'll probably hit the truss rod channel. Even if you don't, you'll completely ruin the resale value.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
I've lived my entire life in Quebec buddy and the used market is one of the best in the country. It is a lot slower in Vancouver and Toronto is probably on par. I made a lot of money in college, buying, trading and repairing instruments that I found in used local ads (kijiji, craigslists, lespacs) etc.

It's just no an extremely valuable instrument, so unless you come up with a reasonable price, you're going to have a hard time selling it. Again, the only factor here is probably price. It's a psychological game though. You gotta ask for 50-80 more than the price you'd settle for and describe it as OBO or Négociable. You'll usually get dealt down to that price, but every once in a while, someone pays for the full price.

I wouldn't sand the neck on that LTD, but that's just me. Keep your eyes out for 550's out there. They show up now and again, and are amazing. I've bought two in Montreal. 1 for 275$ and the other for like 350$. Pennies when you consider how great they are.
Thanks for the input, how much should I ask for this MH-301 With 2x EMG81

And, am I better to swap the pickup for something more "entry" like INF3/INF4 (I'd keep the EMG for the ibanez) and ask less, like the price I see RGT go out for?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Guaranteed you'll never get your money back with those pick-ups in there. That's the downside to upgrades. Sell individually or You can always offer a price with or without. I've had success with that before. I'm not sure I would INF's in there because that may just butcher the over all value. It's better off to keep it as is and buy an ibanez
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Only problem is I have to put something in there in order to sell it, only one I have now as "entry values" are INF's and it wouldn't be a good idea to get H4's only to sell (since you can get some EMG's 81 for not much more)

I offered the option for the Pickup on my classified, anyway I'm in no hurry to sell, it's still a pretty descent instrument, I only preffer Ibanez!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM

I hear ya. I just traded my ESP Horizon for a Jem. I liked the ESP a lot, but the Jem's and RG's are more suited to my touch. Until I find something better i suppose
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman View Post
Thanks for the input, how much should I ask for this MH-301 With 2x EMG81

And, am I better to swap the pickup for something more "entry" like INF3/INF4 (I'd keep the EMG for the ibanez) and ask less, like the price I see RGT go out for?

Which RGT in particular are you looking for??

There's a huge price leap between the RGT42's and the prestige RGT's.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

RGT42 most likely, that's what I saw around 450$ price tag
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 PM

Reviews: 11

Sanding necks is super easy man, don't sweat it.

Just make sure to use a medium grit to start with, go up and down (NO SIDE TO SIDE! That's how you get uneven spots) at your own pace, then when you've found the sweet spot, use a very fine grit to smooth it out.

Easy as 1, 2, 3.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM

As long as you are fine with possibly lowering the resale value and are careful I don't see a problem giving it a shot. I would check your progress often and possibly use a ruler or straight edge to see if you are making dips.

One trick I've heard to replicate neck profiles is to use solder or similar malleable wire and bend it over the neck you want to copy and then trace it on to thick paper/cardboard and cut it out. Then just hold the paper on the neck to see your progress. Just make sure you mark which area of the neck you are trying to copy, such as 1st fret area template, 5th fret area template, and so on.

Tags
custum neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode