Would you trade a 2000 Am Strat Deluxe for a 1996 Hamer Artist Gataso???? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Would you trade a 2000 Am Strat Deluxe for a 1996 Hamer Artist Gataso????

I have a 2000 Fender American Strat Deluxe that I took in trade (Strat + $700 cash) for my Soldano Lucky 13 head.
It has Mark Knopfler pickups and sounds incredible.
I have never really gotten along with Strats, mostly because I always find myself looking for more sustain and harmonics than most single coils offer.

A friend of mine has a 1996 Hamer Artist Gataso in Natural finish that he wants to trade for the Strat.
It is really beautiful. I played it once, but not for more than a couple of minutes.
I seem to remember it felt similar to my McCarty that I had at the time.

Here is the only reason I am hesitating.....
I had tendonitis several years ago. I tried everything to get rid of it. Finally, I went to an old Chinese guy in Temple City, CA that did Chi Gong and Accupuncture on my wrist. After several painful hours of treatment and 2 weeks of recovery, it went away and has not been back since!
At the time I was playing a Jackson Soloist and an Ibanez 542R, both guitars had very fast necks, but very flat fretboard radii.
Since that time, I have discovered that flatter radii greatly affect my comfort level. My wrist will start hurting very quickly playing a flat fretboard.

The Hamer (according to their site, which only lists the new guitars) has a radius of 14.5.
The Strat has a radius of 9.5" and is fairly easy to play.
My main guitars are an Ibanez JS-1000 and an Ibanez 540R (with JS-1000 neck), which both have a 250mm (9.8" radius). These necks are very fast and super comfortable for me to play. The thickness of these necks is a little bit smaller than I like, but overall, they are pretty perfect for me.

I played a PRS McCarty for years. The neck was much thicker than my Ibanez JS necks, but was super comfortable.
The Ibanez JS neck to me is like a Corvette, smaller, more agile, and very fast. The PRS was like a Cadillac, very comfortable, still fast but not a sports car.

Anyway.....The Hamer looks interesting and is very rare on a small island. I haven't bonded with the Strat at all.
I'm just nervous about the radius thing.
Any opinions would be greatly welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Would you trade a 2000 Am Strat Deluxe for a 1996 Hamer Artist Gataso????

If your Strategy feels good, and the only issues are the tone and sustain--keep it!
Dump a single-sized humbucker in there and swap out the trem block for a brass one.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Is it better to have a guitar you did not bond with but can play or a guitar you may bond with but can not play? Thats fairly easy to answer

Sustain issue on a strat can be addressed i many different ways and there are single coiled strats sustaining for days. Get a nice calaham bridge , larger block, make sure neck joint is free of paint, get a baseplate for the singles (also from calaham), change the pickups and the nut and so on.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
Moment of weakness I guess. I talked to the guy some more and it turns out that the guitar is neck heavy and needs some fretwork anyway.

On the Strat, I have a few questions if you guys don't mind:
1. What nut material would be best for sustain and warmth, but also heavy tremolo use? My other guitars have Edge trems on them and I have grown very used to using them.

2. Do baseplates really work?

Thanks again.
On a side note, that same friend has a Big Apple Strat with Duncan humbuckers and a Warmoth rosewood neck with pao ferro fretboard that he says is too dark sounding. I might check that Strat out for a trade. Mine has a maple neck and is very bright.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Strat trems are not made for for divebombing. Best combo i would say would be locking tuners and a graphtech nut . And yes the baseplates do work. You can always get a rosewood neck for yours and than get a 70's headstock which also will help with sustain.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I've been thinking about trying to trade the Strat Deluxe for a PRS CE22 or CE24 locally.

By the time I change the block, nut, (already has locking tuners), base plates or new pups, etc. I'll have a ton of money invested in a guitar that I just might not play very much.

I guess the other side of it is, I can sell the body and get a Warmoth mahogany body to make the guitar sound warmer.
Too many choices.......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 PM

Gotta make up your mind I play almost only PRS these days and would take a Custom 22 or McCarty over a Strat any day.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Reviews: 10

PRS CE models are some of the best bolt on guitars out there. Check them outi would trade a Strat for one of those in a heartbeat.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks cm_17.
The only experience I have had with CE's is a couple of CE-24's.

They were both so beat up that I couldn't really bond with them.
One had the Wide Thin neck and was very similar to the couple of CU-24's I had in the past. I would have kept it, but had a McCarty and CU22 (both with Wide Fat necks) at the time and money was tight.

The other had a Regular Neck carve. It reminded me a lot of a Strat.
That guitar was so beat up though. I ended up replacing the frets with stainless and it was a lot better to play, but had a maple fretboard so it was way too bright for me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Monsta - does that Hamer Artist have the Wilkinson wrap-tail bridge or a tune-o-matic? I used to have a '96 Hamer Studio with the wrap tail (and a back bevel that made it very PRS-like) and I thought they were also doing that bridge on the "basic" Artist model at that time. If it does have the wrap tail then it definitely is a rare one since they only did that for about year or so.

By the way - I have owned two American Deluxe Strats (a 1998 and a 2004) and neither one stuck around very long; I would do the deal for the Hamer if you really liked it. In fact that '96 Hamer I used to own is one of only 3 guitars that have come and gone over the years I would like to have back - along with a '99 Fender '62RI Strat that was the best Fender I ever owned (and that includes a owning a couple of Fender CS Strats) and a 2002 G&L ASAT Special Deluxe (original verision with an "american tila"/basswood body and maple top; these use mahogany bodies these days, plus I hate the current G&L fat shouldered necks)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks John,
I ended up not trading for it. It does have the wrap around bridge though.
I'm not much of a collector. If I don't play it at least once a week, I sell it. I just don't have the funds or the room for too much gear right now.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:16 PM

I understand about the playing versus collecting thing; I usually only keep 2-3 around at any one time but I've gone through way to many guitars over the years.

I just always liked the feel and playability of the Hamers with the wrap-tail over the ones with the tune-o-matic; since they are Hamers the fact that the wrap-tails are more rare doesn't really make them more collectable than the tune-o-matic versions. It is probably the pre-set arc of the wrap-tail that made that 14.5" radius feel better to me; I typically don't care for guitars with something flatter than a 12" radius. That one I sold off (to fund a Les Paul that turned out to be a disaster) was about the only Hamer I've ever bonded with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode