WOW - is the 2027 an AMAZING guitar! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

WOW - is the 2027 an AMAZING guitar!

I wish I could say I owned one, but I don't.

I got a recording of it through an ADA rig. I can't believe just how incredible the clean piezo sound is.

I must have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:35 PM

I had an S2020X once.. and I was most impressed with its piezo and clean tones! I didn't care for distorted lead tones on it, but rythme... it was so heart pounding... wish I had another one just for the clean tone, piezo and distorted rythme sounds.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Anyone got a closeup pic of a piezo handy? I've no idea what I'm looking for..
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 04:26 PM

i can get you on- private message me. Also, over in the 7-string forum, trhere's a link to a brief clip of mine straight into the board, and through a johnson j-station bass patch with the speaker bypassed. pretty good sound for a $130 electric guitar preamp.

-Drew
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ7String
Anyone got a closeup pic of a piezo handy? I've no idea what I'm looking for..
Here's a closeup of the Double-edge bridge in my 2027.

For comparison purposes, here's a pic of a standard LPE7 in my RG7CT.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 10:31 PM

Here is a link to my 2 double edge guitars http://www.paulsecondino.com/images/RG2027b.jpg

they do kick a ton of ass.The piezos sound great and the necks are really up there in quality
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 10:43 PM

Nice guitars, Paul. Which pups did you drop into the 2020?

Hey, it looks like one of the legs of that 2027 guitar stand is trying to get the attention of the other one.
Greg
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 12:22 AM

I love the ASir Norton so I put one in the neck and in the bridge I put a regular Norton.the regular Norton is cool.IUt is balanced with alot of mids.it doesn't have the character of the Duncan JB but it is cool.

The guitar had a tone zone and Paf Pro(bridge and neck)The tone zone is a flabby pup to me so I popped it out and went with the Norton.I bought it without ever trying one.the specs on it were in the ball park on what I like.The right magnet type,the right DC resistance and the right tone.

For a mahogony guitar like these,I think a JB is almost the perfect pup.it has great highs and solid mids.the upper mids are sweet and cut in any music style.I want the Norton in my bridge to be tighter with a little less mids but it is cool and atleast allows me to EQ out the mids rather than try to EQ mids into it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 01:56 AM

Hey Paul! Gorgeous guitars! I played a 2027 this weekend...yummy! I missed my CST so much. :-)

Just curious if you've done the KJG Wiring Modification to your DE's yet.
Let me know if you need more info/diagrams.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:06 PM

Paul; you say the JB is almost the ideal pickup for a mahogany body; how so? i've got a PAF Pro/Tone Zone combo in my 2027 right now, and while i like how it sounds, i'm not 100% satisfied. The neck's pretty good, but the tone Zone isn't quite cutting it for me (although i liked it in my 7620). I'll eventually swap the thing out (a little tight for cash at the moment).

What i'm looking for is something that DOESN'T sound like a Les Paul. I'm looking for something with great dynamic response (approaching a single coil in its ability to preserve the attack), and a clear but smooth high end. The Tone Zone was a little "fizzy" in the bridge for me with distortion, on amp settings that were fine everywhere else, if that gives you any reference point. (i guess the upper highs, "prescence" range if it was an amp, are too shrill for me, while the "treble" range is a bit weak)

I was thinking of trying some Duncan's, possibly, or (realizing this might be in the wrong direction) possivly an Evo-7. Any ideas?

-Drew
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:35 PM

Reviews: 2
all i want is that double edge man, i wish ibanez would just sell those!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Hey Paul! Gorgeous guitars! I played a 2027 this weekend...yummy! I missed my CST so much. :-)

Just curious if you've done the KJG Wiring Modification to your DE's yet.
Let me know if you need more info/diagrams.
I haven't done the wiring mod yet.I am thinking about it thoughI can use all the info you can give me.I mostly record in my studio.I don't really play out now so the mod isn't a necessity.But it would be cool to have the option.My luthier isn't familiar with alot of this stuff.My 2020x is the first one he has worked on oddly enough

I am pleased with both guitars though.Ibanez did a great job for the most part.Rich Harriss has gret info on how to intonate these properly by making some mods plus filing the knife edges and replacing the posts
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Paul; you say the JB is almost the ideal pickup for a mahogany body; how so? i've got a PAF Pro/Tone Zone combo in my 2027 right now, and while i like how it sounds, i'm not 100% satisfied. The neck's pretty good, but the tone Zone isn't quite cutting it for me (although i liked it in my 7620). I'll eventually swap the thing out (a little tight for cash at the moment).

What i'm looking for is something that DOESN'T sound like a Les Paul. I'm looking for something with great dynamic response (approaching a single coil in its ability to preserve the attack), and a clear but smooth high end. The Tone Zone was a little "fizzy" in the bridge for me with distortion, on amp settings that were fine everywhere else, if that gives you any reference point. (i guess the upper highs, "prescence" range if it was an amp, are too shrill for me, while the "treble" range is a bit weak)

I was thinking of trying some Duncan's, possibly, or (realizing this might be in the wrong direction) possivly an Evo-7. Any ideas?

-Drew
I like the JB because it has sweet high end and very detailed midrange.It is one of those pickups that gets famous because it is designed so well that it becomes a staple like an air norton in the neck.

I tried a Evolution7 in my RG 7620 and still like it.It isn't super detailed but it has great bottom end.the Blaze is no big deal.It is shrilly and is a very scooped sounding pickup.It sounds good split though because of the low mid output.It has that going for it.The blaze is a metal pickup.
For Duncan,I have tried the Duncan Custom7 in my carvion Mahogony 7string.I didn't like it.Too much high end.I should have put a JB in it.I don't like Tone zones though.the bass is loose and there is alot of bass output from it on top of that.the Air Norton7 is great in the neck.

The PAF PROs are okay in the neck of most guitars but I think they blow in the bridge.They are too round and vintage sounding.The JB is a great idea and if you want less high end get the Evolution.Many folks say it is harsh but I don't think so at all in the 7string.the Blaze is harsh but the Evolution is not.And the EVolution is ceramic so you get nice tight bottom end with out the typical bitey high end usually associated with ceramic magnets
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:17 PM

I forgot.I have the 2 ibanez Mahogony double-edge guitars and a Carvin DC727 7string which is mahogony too.the tendency of mahogony is to be a bit darkere than the more common bass wood and Alder.My approach is to take a guitar,amp,or whatever and get a balanced tone out of it.so I feel that a detailed pup with gret high end is well suited for a mahogony guitar.I think a tone zone could possibly be a bad choice for mahogony unless making it sound darker is what a person wants.

A JB has too much mids for most metal players but will do metal no problem in the hands of a capable player.I can get any tone I want out of a JB even though a Evolution has tighter bottom end or a Steves Special has more chunk.A JB is a do it all pup but with great sweet high end
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:59 PM

Here are the original posts:

Original with the KJG Wiring Modİ diagram:
http://jemsiteforum.com/discus/messa...html?974491029

Todd Crawford's page with the KJG Wiring Modİ diagram:
http://www.mindspring.com/~tpc01/dbledge.html

Switching Description (what does what after the KJG Wiring Modİ):
http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8854

If you need further help, I'm available thru email ([email protected]) or on IM (RG EGYPT). Feel free to contact me.

ENJOY!

EDIT- Link repair.

Tags
air norton , amp settings , clean tone , edge bridge , electric guitar , kjg wiring mod , les paul , mahogany body , paf pro , paf pros , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode