WOW! Best improvement to my RG450dx EVER!!!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

WOW! Best improvement to my RG450dx EVER!!!!!

Hey guys,

I have a few Ibanezes consisting of RG450s and RG570s. The 570 is great, especially with the LO PRO trem.

My RG450 is a great guitar, nice sound, pretty colour, nice (fatter) neck but even though i thought my TRS II stayed in tune pretty well in reality it didnt.

On the weekend i was playing the 450 and did a few whole note bends and so on and what do you know...guitar went flat :S so i thought stuff this.

Out to the shed i go, i first pulled the 3 springs at the back of my bridge, releasing the trs trem. i now had an empty cavity....what now....

I decided to place 2 flathead wood screws in the back of the cavity, that way i can adjust them to stop the bridge moving forward and strings goung flat you can see this in the diagram labelled (1) the reason i chose wood screws is coz they have a flat head.

next i made up an "L" bracket out of some metal (3) i had lyinng around, if you do this made sure that is thick-ish steel that wont bend from the force of the trem.

i measured and aligned the trem and screwed the L bracket into place (2) into place, i then adjusted the back screws to push the trem hard against the L bracket. I then put the two springs back in and checked for any movement. NONE at all. I made my TRS Fixed...

Doing this was the best thing i have ever done to a guitar period. Being a floating bridge double locking set up originally it has the clamps at the nut of the guitar too, all i do now is i tune the guitar from the machine heads and then lock down the clamps then fine tune if i have to, but because the bridge will not move i have a perfectly in tune guitar. I have given it an absolute thrashing and it stays perfectly in tune, i can also adjust the height of the trem without retuning...hows that.

the best thing is it only took 5 minutes and its given my RG450 a new lease of life. I havent put it down all weekend and my poor 570 is now getting jealous.

here is a diagram of what i did

it works really really really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

forgot to add,

the way i did this doesnt have to be a permanent set up, it can come apart in no time and the guitar will always be as it was before, a non destructive fixed bridge set up nice....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

here she is in action

Click Me

right click save as (600kb)

also the sustain is soooo much better now
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:04 PM

nice but you could have put a piece of wood right behind the trem also.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

lol very true

but wouldnt a block on the back of the trem stop the trem from going forward and not backward?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:22 PM

That's why you put another wooden block in front...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:31 PM

There is alot of things people do. like putting a Bic lighter back there works as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM

no a block under the would stop if from going backwards as in down and just keep the strings tight and all would be fine

Tags
fixed bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode