Wow! Ibanez!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Ibanez!!

Hi all!
New guy here. Been playing for 35 years. Primarily been a Fender guy, but I recently started a heavy metal band. I needed something that played and felt faster than my usual tele/strat.

We use alot of different tunings, so I wanted something with a fixed bridge. Ive had a bunch of floyds over the years....lost my taste for them. I have always wanted an Ibanez since many of my guitar heros play them. The majority of my friends are blues guys, they always laugh at me when I say I want a shreddar.

Im fairly poor right now for a mariad of reasons, but I found an '06 Ibby RG2ex1 for $100.00 on the bay. It needed a bunch of parts, but the majority was there. I figured it fit the bill, allowed for some bonding time and Im definately not going to fing anything cheaper. I drank the kool aid.

Color me stoked. Received the rg, did a complete tear down, cleaning, replaced what it needed (minus the rear control cavity cover which I cant find anywhere). This rg was treated poorly and has the scars to prove it. Everything cleaned up well however and once the solder cooled, everything worked!

All I can say is...DAMN!

This thing plays awesome! The neck is so fast playing. I love slinky feeling guitars, so I set her up extra slinky. After applying some fast fret and some elixir to the fret, this guitar is pure butter. I feel myself slipping into wanting more of these. Im playing stuff I never thought I would or could. Building my shredding skills. I fricken love this guitar!

I just bought a '52 ri tele while still employed, I found myself contemplating selling it and buying an higher end Ibby!

Last edited by Oldschool; 04-24-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:05 PM

Re: Wow! Ibanez!!

Welcome!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:53 AM

Reviews: 4

Welcome to the forum . BEST source for ibanez info. We have many knowledgeable folks on here that are always willing to help. As far as getting a better quality guitar, if you have a nice budget, go to ibanez rules and set what rich has. He carries new and used stuff but the higher end stuff is his bread & butter. Master of the set up as well.

You coming from a fender background, I'll give you a recommendation for a sweet model called a proline. They have edge trems , oiled necks (unless it's a high end model). The necks are not as thick as a fender but not as thin as a rg. A pl1770 or pl1880 range anyplace from $400 -$600. Very well built japan made guitars.

Another favorite of mine for the money is a early '90s EX. They were a low budget guitars (korean made) and have insanely thin fast necks. They also have a LO-TRS 1st generation trem that is regarded as a nice quality trem to the edge trem. I have 2, a ex365 and a ex3770. The XH series pickups just scream. $200-$300 should get you into one.

For a great rg, that when setup properly with good pickups and will play as good as anything, get a early rg550. $400-$600 should get you into something good.

I know everyone has a different taste but these are just a few of many well made ibbys that are affordable. The consensus of most on here is that the golden years for ibanez was '86 to the early '90s. Great stuff for the money...
Oh, for specs, rich has a catalog gallery with all the info....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode