wtf is with these new non trem, locking bridges?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

wtf is with these new non trem, locking bridges??

i see a few ibanez endorsees using this locking bridge like an edge but seems totally fixed...
and i'm just wondering............why???

tell me it's just me or there's some great reason behind using them..

i mean you could get a good nut and great or locking tuners instead and have great tuning stability still, ease of string changing+tuning and freedom to change tuning
regular fixeds seem good enough for everybody else..

so do you think it's overkill or am i missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 07:42 AM

Re: wtf is with these new non trem, locking bridges??

u mean on the mick thompson sig? i have no idea
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:30 AM

The fixed edge gives you the advantage of fine tuners and is still the most meticulous system for tuning to my knowledge. There are plenty of other methods out there but to each their own.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

They're also probably the most ergonomic fixed bridge EVER. If you're thrashing away there's nothing on the Edge FX to rip up the side of your hand.

If I was in the position to require Ibanez to make me a fixed bridge guitar, I'd be demanding this piece of hardware too.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:58 AM

Reviews: 1

There's also a Satriani model, the JS1200, that has the Edge FX bridge.

On one hand, I like having the fine tuners and the tuning stability of a locking nut. On the other hand, setting the intonation and individual string heights on the Edge is a pain in the butt compared to the fixed Strat bridges like the one on the PGM301.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 09:36 AM

Reviews: 7

I don't think it's overkill. In fact changing them from what they are to locking tuners would be just the same, but I like having a locking nut. It's more stable than locking tuners because you cut them off at the nut, whereas with locking tuners the strings can still change tuning because of the added length for them to stretch and the contact between the string and the area the string is touching the locking post causes friction and the string can somewhat catch the post. And after playing for a while the string can move over that area and change tuning, just not the case if you lock it right at the nut. I've had this experience with the guitar I have setup with locking tuners. Hope I made made that clear enough to where I'm not the only one who gets my giberish .
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

yeah i get that it's uber tuning stability, i just wonder if it's just me that thinks it's overkill seeing as it limits everything else and everybody else gets by just fine without it

oh i assumed the stock version would be setup with good tuners or lockers, it's hypothetical
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 10:33 AM

personally if i had the the chance to have one i would, tho id still prefer a floating edge (mabye with a tremel-no) , i mean i find edge trems to be the most comfortable bridges out there
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
They're also probably the most ergonomic fixed bridge EVER. If you're thrashing away there's nothing on the Edge FX to rip up the side of your hand.

If I was in the position to require Ibanez to make me a fixed bridge guitar, I'd be demanding this piece of hardware too.
Nicely said Jono!
I couldn't have put it better myself.

I would love it if they made a 7-string version of the FX Edge.
It's a pity Ibanez don't sell the FX Edge by itself.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy
There's also a Satriani model, the JS1200, that has the Edge FX bridge.
JS2000.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 02:29 PM

i don't like them. i think you get the same tuning stability from a guitar with locking tuners that have 18:1 gear ratio and a fixed bridge, if the guitar is properly set up. even guitars with standard trems should maintain tuning stability if the guitar is set-up well. the reason i prefer regular fixed bridges is because of the ease of string changes.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

phew i was beginning to feel very lonely in here

i had no idea most of you guys would go for this thing? i just can't seem to justify double locking with a locking nut if i don't have a trem
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 7

That's perfectly fine and we all have our different taste's. I've just have better tuning stabilty in the past with a locking nut than locking tuners. I'm not saying locking tuners aren't just as good, because they are. It's just in my experience the tuning stability is ever so slightly more stable (to the point of most people not noticing) that's why I like it better. I'd like it even better if I could get a guitar with a normal hardtail, string thru (with some kind of fine tuner) and a locking nut.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 08:10 PM

The tuning stabiliy is certainly a plus on that bridge, but no one here mentioned the loss of sustain compared to a fixed bridge. Fixed bridge with locking tuners would be my choice in that situation. Perhaps with a rolling/lube nut if loss of tuning is an issue.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 08:14 PM

I like the large surface area of a floyd (low profile versions like the lo pro or the edge pro) more over the small hardtail bridges.

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , hardtail bridge , locking bridge , locking nut , locking tuners , mick thompson , strat bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode