X-Ray guitars J Frog copy.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

X-Ray guitars J Frog copy..

Alaskabat mentioned this company. $1500 for a Lynch Bones guitar copy.
Anybody have an opinion? Thoughts? Experience? I'm dying to own one but $1500 seems an odd price for a "handmade" guitar, especially one of these..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Reviews: 9
Re: X-Ray guitars J Frog copy..

A friend of mine has made a couple of these and he asks for about Ģ1500, so $1500 sounds decent lol.

I asume you're referring to 'mom', btw.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

A friend of mine has one, and I've played it--worth every penny! They are very close to the real J Frog guitars. Superior craftsmanship and build. Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon, but you can choose a different Duncan, plus a real Floyd Rose. I've been on the verge of ordering one since I found out about them about 5 years ago.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
A friend of mine has one, and I've played it--worth every penny! They are very close to the real J Frog guitars. Superior craftsmanship and build. Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon, but you can choose a different Duncan, plus a real Floyd Rose. I've been on the verge of ordering one since I found out about them about 5 years ago.
For a guy that goes through guitars like Jersey Shore goes through brain cells, 5 years is a big hold out lol.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
For a guy that goes through guitars like Jersey Shore goes through brain cells, 5 years is a big hold out lol.
Well, the problem is that I keep most of the ones I acquire. Once I go over 25 at a time, I thin out a few....LOL

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, the problem is that I keep most of the ones I acquire. Once I go over 25 at a time, I thin out a few....LOL
I hear you. That LNG is sweet btw. I never saw the NGD on that
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I hear you. That LNG is sweet btw. I never saw the NGD on that
It's certainly a keeper.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/ng...ng-114282.html

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 05:56 PM
CWR

Ed Romans J. Frog bones and the X-Ray bones are both completely wrong if you are looking for a copy of the original from 1986 that was featured in the Dokken videos etc. The original version was in the videos (It's Not Love, Dream Warriors, Burning Like a Flame, and the Dokken behind the scenes footage from the unchain the night video).

I am not plugging my guitars since I rarely make them but can say for sure that I am the only one who has faithfully copied the original version. I used highly detailed professional photography and video of the original to create a computer sculpt in Z-Brush that became the basis for the CnC file that Chris Woods uses. I worked on the project with Chris back in 2007-2008 and carved the guitar that was given to George Lynch along with the Beast Guitar which is also featured on Chris's website.

Here is a link to the thread I started in 2007 with pictures;

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/my...tar-70822.html

If you want more info, I interviewed George's guitar tech Gerry Ganaden at Sam Ash a while back for a video that was later posted by Chris Woods on youtube. Here is a link to that video;

http://youtu.be/BjqIXdjL_AI

As a side note, the guitar in that video is one I carved and airbrushed for George Lynch and is now in Gerry's possession.

I do commissions for this guitar from time to time but due to my work schedule it is usually only one or two per year. You can have Chris make you one which will be good since he uses my computer sculpt. His are not quite as detailed as mine but they are still much more accurate than the J. Frog, ESP, or X-Ray versions.

Regards,

-Craig

Last edited by CWR; 09-30-2011 at 06:02 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR View Post
Ed Romans J. Frog bones and the X-Ray bones are both completely wrong if you are looking for a copy of the original from 1986 that was featured in the Dokken videos etc. The original version was in the videos (It's Not Love, Dream Warriors, Burning Like a Flame, and the Dokken behind the scenes footage from the unchain the night video).

I am not plugging my guitars since I rarely make them but can say for sure that I am the only one who has faithfully copied the original version. I used highly detailed professional photography and video of the original to create a computer sculpt in Z-Brush that became the basis for the CnC file that Chris Woods uses. I worked on the project with Chris back in 2007-2008 and carved the guitar that was given to George Lynch along with the Beast Guitar which is also featured on Chris's website.

Here is a link to the thread I started in 2007 with pictures;

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/my...tar-70822.html

If you want more info, I interviewed George's guitar tech Gerry Ganaden at Sam Ash a while back for a video that was later posted by Chris Woods on youtube. Here is a link to that video;

http://youtu.be/BjqIXdjL_AI

As a side note, the guitar in that video is one I carved and airbrushed for George Lynch and is now in Gerry's possession.

I do commissions for this guitar from time to time but due to my work schedule it is usually only one or two per year. You can have Chris make you one which will be good since he uses my computer sculpt. His are not quite as detailed as mine but they are still much more accurate than the J. Frog, ESP, or X-Ray versions.

Regards,

-Craig
That's funny, considering the J. Frog version is the original. In fact, it's the J. Frog in the videos, but the on-hand ESP rep made George slap an ESP decal on the headstock. Then, the ESP version came out that was totally off. Not to put you down or anything, but Johnny Garcia (J. Frog) is still the dude that makes them and Ed sells them. To be honest--how can the maker of the original "Mom" bones be inferior to the others?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
That's funny, considering the J. Frog version is the original. In fact, it's the J. Frog in the videos, but the on-hand ESP rep made George slap an ESP decal on the headstock. Then, the ESP version came out that was totally off. Not to put you down or anything, but Johnny Garcia (J. Frog) is still the dude that makes them and Ed sells them. To be honest--how can the maker of the original "Mom" bones be inferior to the others?
I read that a "Ed Roman's J Frog Bones", i.e. the J Frog Bones that Ed Roman makes...

I was assuming that Ed's licenced the product of Johnny and is making less than wholly accurate versions in his shop. Maybe I'm wrong.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I read that a "Ed Roman's J Frog Bones", i.e. the J Frog Bones that Ed Roman makes...

I was assuming that Ed's licenced the product of Johnny and is making less than wholly accurate versions in his shop. Maybe I'm wrong.
I've been clear on my views of Ed Roman before, and they still hold. However--these Bones are "supposedly" still built by Johnny, but sold by Ed. Who knows? Ed's so diluted that Cort could be making the darn things...

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Damn! Why did I have to see this thread?!?!??!!?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Damn! Why did I have to see this thread?!?!??!!?
....and right after you got your maple Tiger, too!

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 01:41 PM
CWR

Quote:
AlaskaBat,

While I appreciate your knowledge, I am a friend of John Garcia's (through Garrard Ganaden) and can tell you with 100% certainty that J. Frog (John Garcia) does not have anything to do with the individual guitars and has not been directly involved with production for some time now. He is still supposed to get a royalty for each guitar sold but that is about it.

There is nothing accurate about Ed's version with the exception that it is a guitar with skull and bone shapes carved into it and he bought the name J. Frog from John back in the late 90s. If you believe that guitar looks like the original than by all means purchase one or advocate for Ed Roman. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, however, when you get a chance look at the old Dokken videos or guitar mags from the mid 80s and do your own comparison.

I started my replica project after purchasing a J. Frog from Ed and being highly disappointed in the accuracy and quality. After I purchased it, I went to the Hard Rock in Los Angeles when the original was still there and took photos of it to make mine more accurate. When I got a good look at the original, I realized that there was nothing I could do to improve it and decided to start my computer model to have a body cut on a CnC.

I am just trying to be informative and let people know that if they want an accurate replica of the original to avoid Ed Roman, ESP, and X-Ray versions. They are all good guitars in their own right, just not accurate to the original.

Regards,

-Craig
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Wasn't trying to bash on you Chris--just pointing out the Johnny/ ed Roman thing--which seems to be quite deceptive.......thanks to Ed again for screwing everyone. I hadn't actually seen the "Roman" version up close--just associated it with J Frog. Man, Ed's a P.O.S.

Tags
bones guitar , esp , lynch , x-ray guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode