Xiphos quality - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Xiphos quality

Okay here's the deal. My friend ordered a Killer Prime (same model Takasaki Akira of Loudness uses except not the signature version) and I've started to GAS for an odd shaped guitar. I know the Xiphos are all made in Indonesia but I'm wondering if anyone has played one and could tell me anything about how they liked it and whatnot.

The one I'm looking into is the Red Chameleon colored X700. I've seen a few around here and they are pretty expensive even for indos (priced at premium price point originally) so I'm wondering if Ibanez had their premium factory working on these. They come with the edge 3 bridge and D activator pups stock.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Re: Xiphos quality

I've played one, honestly didn't get on with it super well though.

That's not to say its a bad guitar, not by any stretch, but don't expect it to stomp over any nice guitars you might already have - you're paying the money for neckthrough and those pickups. Everything else is noticably "standard" compared to those two standout features.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I've played one, honestly didn't get on with it super well though.

That's not to say its a bad guitar, not by any stretch, but don't expect it to stomp over any nice guitars you might already have - you're paying the money for neckthrough and those pickups. Everything else is noticably "standard" compared to those two standout features.
Ah okay. Maybe I should just find an old MIJ destroyer, iceman, or Rocket Roll I guess.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Ah okay. Maybe I should just find an old MIJ destroyer, iceman, or Rocket Roll I guess.
...Or Jackson Warrior
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

They were very popular a few years back on some other sites once the bridge had been upgraded.

The later models with the heavier body cuts are supposed to be 'better', not sure why...

I fancy one but haven't seen the right model at the right price in the right finish yet.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
...Or Jackson Warrior
Never heard of this one, off to look it up
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
They were very popular a few years back on some other sites once the bridge had been upgraded.

The later models with the heavier body cuts are supposed to be 'better', not sure why...

I fancy one but haven't seen the right model at the right price in the right finish yet.
Replacing Edge 3 with Edge pro (iirc that was the direct drop upgrade)?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I think the most common was the Gotoh Floyd Rose version that was found on Suhrs at the time.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think the most common was the Gotoh Floyd Rose version that was found on Suhrs at the time.
Was it a direct drop replacement?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I'm fairly sure it drops in perfectly.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I'm fairly sure it drops in perfectly.
Hmmm, that's a REALLY cheap upgrade for me. Gotoh FRs cost maybe 160 USD over here, so if I was to buy a Xiphos, having a direct drop replacement Gotoh FR would be perfect.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Reviews: 2

I played the XPT's cousin. The DTT700 destroyer. I went in really wanting to like it but left with the same impression that GuitarBizarre did........ everything was "almost there" but nothing stood out as being good quality. I had an MIK RGT that was done a LOT better than the DTT was........ I didn't buy it.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I played the XPT's cousin. The DTT700 destroyer. I went in really wanting to like it but left with the same impression that GuitarBizarre did........ everything was "almost there" but nothing stood out as being good quality. I had an MIK RGT that was done a LOT better than the DTT was........ I didn't buy it.
Sounds like Ibanez really went in on the cheap on the odd-shaped guitars. The old MIJs are REALLY nice but it's harder than heck to find an MIJ iceman and recently most destroyers I've found only have a single bridge pup
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 01:31 PM

Hey if your looking for a awesome odd shaped Ibanez check out the xv500, I'll post a pic later of mine later if you want.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvulcanravenll View Post
Hey if your looking for a awesome odd shaped Ibanez check out the xv500, I'll post a pic later of mine later if you want.
Definitely a very cool guitar, but everyone I've ever heard talk about it said it's super hard to reach the 20th and 21st frets. Not a deal breaker for me because I suck at soloing anyway.........

Tags
xiphos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode