XIPHOS XPT-700 ??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
XIPHOS XPT-700 ???

I have heard by many that the EDGE III bridge is not good enough, as compared to the Floyd rose and EDGE PRO bridges...

Can anyone differntiate between them? And why is it so that Edge 3 is not preffered??

I play metal music and i have the Ibanez XPT-700 in my mind.
Now, some people say that the pickups (DiMarzio Activators) and EDGE III is not fine in this guitar. So, im getting a bit confused.

The XPT-700 is available for 616 pounds at www.gak.co.uk

So, do you guys think the XPT is good enough, or do you suggest any other guitar which falls in the same range....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: XIPHOS XPT-700 ???

The Deactivators are supposed to be great pickups, especially for metal. If you find the Edge III not to be up for the job you can retrofit an Edge Pro quite easily. I found it to be a nice guitar when I've played around with it at the music store a few times.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 AM

Reviews: 2

I own one and it's a great guitar. The edge 3 isn't the best trem ever (by a long shot) but it isn't nearly as bad as a lot of the people on here make it out to be at times. Better than the Lo-TRS' and whatnot. And it is a lot better than the no-name "licensed Floyd Roses" you see on other guitars in the similar price range.

The neck through is great. I really wish Ibanez would do more of them and the pickups sound great. Not my personal favourite sound but I've never thought that the pickups on a guitar should come into consideration unless you happen to find one that has the exact pickup setup that you like. Which is to be honest, not likely to happen.

Plus the chamelon finish is ****ing hot and it comes with a case which most (all?) non-prestige Ibanez don't.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't buy a Xiphos because of the feel of the back of the neck. the finish makes it far to sticky and slow feeling for me Like Axehappy said, the trem's not brilliant but it's not that bad. I understand that it can be quite easily be replaced anyway if you find it lacking. (gotoh's own floyd trem is brilliant and I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a direct replacement.

But for visual impact it's hard to beat, especially if you get the chameleon finish

The gak.co.uk price might be a bit high though, try shopping around and remember it's a global market these days even if the currency markets are fluctuating somewhat. Just remember if you are buying from abroad and brinking into the UK to add shipping costs and if applicable taxes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Reviews: 2

You could always sand down the neck if it really bother you I guess...? I don't notice any difference going from the Xiphos to my RG321 and it has no paint on the neck. I've played some real sticky guitars and I don't find the Xiphos to have a slow neck at all. Of course, every guitar is different and I've only had the chance to play 4 Xiphos (the one I own and the 3 that my shop has gone through).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: XIPHOS XPT-700 ???

hey thanks guys....i think i'll go for the Xiphos..!!

Tags
pus & edge3 of ibz xpt700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode