Yamaha Guitar Model / Series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Yamaha Guitar Model / Series

Hi everyone!

I was surfing today and I find this Yamaha:

As you can see the specs might be:
*24 Freets
*Scalloped frets (20 to 24th) / Why? Look at the Inlays
*HSH pickups configuration
*Reverse Headstock
*RM PRO II Tremolo
*Maple fingerboard
*Pickguard
*Black hardware

So, the question is: What Model this guitar is?

The models I know with Scalloped frets are:
RGX 421 PRO
RGX 621
RGX 821

I tought that a RGX 821 almost fits in the description, but this one has pickguard and black hardware. So... No.

The RGX 421 PRO has a pickguard, but also has an "eye-looking" inlay in the 12th fret.
Then, again, No...

The RGX 621 it's my best guess, but again; the 621 doesnt have pickguard or reverse headstock.

So... If any one can bringme some help about this extrange Yamaha Guitar, I'll be greatfull!

Surelly someone may think: "Dude, go and ask to the guy who's selling it..."
Well... the guy hasn't answered my questions yet; plus, I have my pride as Yamaha Guitar User and Fan (I own a Pacifica 1221).

I'll be expecting any comments, pictures or any other help!

Ofesad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 AM

Re: Yamaha Guitar Model / Series

Hey man. I love yamaha guitars and I'm constantly telling people how good they are. However, I got to say I've never seen that model before! All I can tell you is this....

The model code will contain the letter 'R' for reverse headstock. I have seen a pacifica 812R that is a reverse headstock...so I would guess the same is true for this as well.

Take care, the guitar looks fantasic!

Chris
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 AM

I found this on evil bay, to bad it's located in japan because for $499 I would be all over it. I'm sure customs fees and taxes would kill the deal though.

http://cgi.****.com/Yamaha-RGX-Dinky...3A1%7C294%3A50
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 AM

No Sh!t yamaha guitar is damn good, the neck I have to say sorry prestige owners, blows pretige guitars away.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Job
Hey man. I love yamaha guitars and I'm constantly telling people how good they are. However, I got to say I've never seen that model before! All I can tell you is this....

The model code will contain the letter 'R' for reverse headstock. I have seen a pacifica 812R that is a reverse headstock...so I would guess the same is true for this as well.

Take care, the guitar looks fantasic!

Chris
I have seen a similar model some years ago. Look at her:

I think this one is a 821. But, the 821's use to have the Pickups of two colors...
But the 821 it's (I think) the only model that has abalon inlays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop
I found this on evil bay, to bad it's located in japan because for $499 I would be all over it. I'm sure customs fees and taxes would kill the deal though.

http://cgi.****.com/Yamaha-RGX-Dinky...3A1%7C294%3A50
Nice one! I have been researching about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
No Sh!t yamaha guitar is damn good, the neck I have to say sorry prestige owners, blows pretige guitars away.
Totally Agree! Ibanez has dropped the quality of the RG and JEM series over the last years.

Getting back to the topic:
I think that this Yamaha should be a 621 MR or RM (Maple + Reverse).
But the only thing it makes me wonder, it's the pickguard.

So, any who own or has seen a 621, please let me know if it has a pickguard.

Thank you all for your comments and opinions!

Ofesad
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Im getting close!!

Look, guys!

That's a RGZ 621P-R (its the almost the same as RGX 621D)

The only problem it's that it doesnt have Scalloped frets... and also it doesnt have Maple fingerboard.

BUT! the color of that RGZ, it's the same that my Pacifica 1221... and my Pacifica comes also in Metallic Blue color, like the one I posted...

Any comments or help will be welcome!!

Ofesad.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah man, I love those Yamahas too. I had a 1221MS, and wish I never sold it. I remember a guy in Canada trying to sell one of those Yamis with the top four frets partially scalloped last year on the auction site that must never be named. I remember him trying unsuccessfully to sell it for $299 at least three different times.

I'm 99% certain it was a 600 series........can't remember if it was a RGX or RGZ or what the last two numbers were, but I'm certain it was a 600 series.

This btw was my Pacifica..............I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
Do you really think so? What makes them better?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
Yeah man, I love those Yamahas too. I had a 1221MS, and wish I never sold it. I remember a guy in Canada trying to sell one of those Yamis with the top four frets partially scalloped last year on the auction site that must never be named. I remember him trying unsuccessfully to sell it for $299 at least three different times.

I'm 99% certain it was a 600 series........can't remember if it was a RGX or RGZ or what the last two numbers were, but I'm certain it was a 600 series.

This btw was my Pacifica..............I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

Thanks for the data! Im pretty sure too that it's a 621.
The only thing it's that the I havent see a RGZ with scalloped frets, but has the pickguard; the RGX has scalloped frets but not the pickguard.
Still desconcerted...

Just u$s299? I'm offering 200u$s for the RGZ/RGX I posted. But the guy hasnt reply yet.-

Nice 1221MS. The other day I watched one published in the Argentinian version of the auction site that must never be named (known as "Mercado Libre"). But I checked now and it doesnt appear any more. But theres a 1221MS Blue really pretty.

In the past few months, many Pacificas 912,921,1212,1221,1221M,1221MS,1230S,1412,1421 has been appearing all around Argentina. Im part gulty of it because of a "Report" about Top Line Yamaha Guitars I wrote on a forum time ago.
Next step is going to be a nice web site that Im developing about Yamaha Guitars. All the specs, manual, pics, info, forum, etc.

Ofesad
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte_za View Post
Do you really think so? What makes them better?
This might enlight you:

Neck shape: "D" flatten

Neck width:
Capotasto: 42.5
1st Fret: 43.0
5th Fret: 48.0
12th Fret: 52.5
24th Fret: 58.0

Neck thickness (mm):
1st Fret: 17
5th Fret: 19
12th Fret: 21

Ofesad

Last edited by Ofesad; 02-16-2009 at 01:45 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofesad View Post
Im getting close!!

Look, guys!

That's a RGZ 621P-R (its the almost the same as RGX 621D)

The only problem it's that it doesnt have Scalloped frets... and also it doesnt have Maple fingerboard.

BUT! the color of that RGZ, it's the same that my Pacifica 1221... and my Pacifica comes also in Metallic Blue color, like the one I posted...

Any comments or help will be welcome!!

Ofesad.

WOW! I have to say thats a nice guitar. I reckon that I could even put up with the colour! I like rosewood finger boards more than maple, and I dont really feel like I need to have the top frets cut out.

AWESOME guitar. Is it yours?

Chris
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Job View Post
WOW! I have to say thats a nice guitar. I reckon that I could even put up with the colour! I like rosewood finger boards more than maple, and I dont really feel like I need to have the top frets cut out.

AWESOME guitar. Is it yours?

Chris
No, Chris.
This my actual Yamaha:

Now, Im pretty confused.
On Google I've find some RGZ 621 and RGX 621 with TRS Tremolo and other with RM PRO II.
So... the guitar I originally posted, could be any of those... =S

Hope somebody has some clue, picture or something to help me out here.

Ofesad.

Last edited by Ofesad; 02-16-2009 at 05:58 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Reviews: 2

FWIW, the trem on your guitar....and my 1221MS are vastly superior to the older versions. I also had an SE1212 that had the older version.....really wierd design. Each string has a cover that has an allen screw that you have to undo to change strings.

I love the old Yamis, but when I see those older version trems, I take a pass.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
FWIW, the trem on your guitar....and my 1221MS are vastly superior to the older versions. I also had an SE1212 that had the older version.....really wierd design. Each string has a cover that has an allen screw that you have to undo to change strings.

I love the old Yamis, but when I see those older version trems, I take a pass.
Totally Agree. The RM PRO II is the one of the best bridges I have used.

Here are some specs:

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Damn, that neck and cutaway looks smooth. So does the TRS system, but the trem studs and knife edges look worse than on the Ibanez Edge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode