Yamaha Pacifica? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Yamaha Pacifica?

So I was visiting my Grandmother in Tucson AZ this past weekend and stopped by a local music store. They had some BC rich guitars, Samicks et all, but they also had some Yamaha Pacificas. For the cost, I was very impressed and was thinking of getting one for messing around purposes. Anyone else have one/play one? Dropping 350 isn't gonna kill my bank on one of these, plus the people at the music store were way nice (Instrumental Music, Tucson AZ, I'd recommend it), and the instruments were actually set up and in tune, which is always a plus.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: Yamaha Pacifica?

They really aren't bad guitars, but you can get them off of craigs list for around 100-125.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:18 PM

I had one as my first guitar the 112 and it was a great guitar, I believe the guy who designed the jem also designed the pacifica unless that was a dream I had? I would look at picking one up second hand from someone who gave up on guitar and this was there first guitar as said above save yourself money.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 2

I liked the ones Michael Lee Firkins used to play.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7

Like I say, I just played a cheap one, but it was really nice. I was pleasantly surprised about it, and after I get my JEM I wanna get a couple of them.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM

The higher end series 7 or 9 Series are excellent guitars easily on par with Ibanez or the likes.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Agreed, the ones with the floyd and the diagonal inlays were terrific guitars...easily as good as the RG series.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Hi everybody,
I suggest the YAMAHA PACIFICA 821DX
I got this model, for I presented it to my younger brother back in 1999.
It's an alder JEM7 style old school SuperStrat shredder, worth $. 1,000.00 back in the day

Attachment 3293

Attachment 3294

Attachment 3295

Body: solid alder w/bookmatched quilted maple top, SuperStrat shape, trans amber finish.
Neck: maple. Sleek but not as much as, say Ibanez RGs. Comfortable full access bolt-on indeed. Rosewood fingerboard - 24 jumbo frets - 25,5" scale - pearloid dots.
Matching headstock with quality string holder, Gotoh machineheads.
Bridge: Yamaha RM-Pro Arm III. Proficient provider of stable tuning.
Electronics: it's the guitar go-to point, hands down: 3 DiMarzios in a H/S/H pickup config (2 Air Classic humbuckers in bridge and neck position/1 Blue Velvet single coil).
The Air Classics are features from DiMarzio Vintage series, so they're retro inspired from '50s PAF, for a rapid deployable hard&heavy approach (yeah but... no room for Grindcore and/or Brutal death, right?!)
The Blue Velvet is devoted to clean roots and/or shining arpeggios, for its crystal clear tone.
Aside we got the obligatory Volume and Tone controls via 5 position switch.

A warmly suggested $. 400.00 buy or die!

Hope to be of any help

Cheers,
Wallace

Last edited by Wallace Clan; 04-04-2012 at 05:45 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 AM

I got mine in about '96. Very good action, I slightly scalloped it too. I'm kind of weird in that I remove the tone knobs from my guitars and move the volume down to that spot.

Last edited by scorson; 02-02-2015 at 12:48 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM

@ Scorson:
Very "Paul Gilbert", your way!

Cheers,
Wallace
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

it has the typical strat problems-- fretboard radius too small, frets not big enough,crappy trem. SSH is worse than HH or HSH. The neck also feels too meaty. No thanks, i dont want to go back to the 60s. Ibanez solved these problems, so we use them for a reason.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandnor View Post
it has the typical strat problems-- fretboard radius too small, frets not big enough,crappy trem. SSH is worse than HH or HSH. The neck also feels too meaty. No thanks, i dont want to go back to the 60s. Ibanez solved these problems, so we use them for a reason.
None of those things are problems.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Furthermore some of these things are very much desired. Nothing nicer than a original FR with a HSS config and vintage frets for me
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 17

Quote:
You obviously haven't played the new ones....

I just recently sold a new model Pacifica 112V and it blew the old ones out of the water (i had 2 of the previous models)

Jumbo frets, Much nicer neck, Pickups we're a little more powerful and more versatile, coil tap feature (perfect if you need SSS) Trem when setup holds tune fine, mine kept in tune for 3 - 4 days after being played everyday.

I don't care what anyone says, for the money these guitars are the bomb! Picked one up to keep but then scored a squire tele and thats one shape i didnt have :P
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM

And the're certainly worth the price

Pacifica OVS.jpg

Pacifica VCX.jpg

Cheers,
Wallace

Tags
pacifica , yamaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode