Yamaha Pacifica - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Yamaha Pacifica

Considering the fact that Rich Lasner had a hand in designing these guitars, as well as the Jem/RG, I thought I'd ask what some of you thought of them, and how they compare. Personally, I think that they were some fantasitic guitars, what do you guys think?

I know that they're mostly known for the cheap models now, but I'm mostly referring to the 24(and some 22) fret models of the early nineties.

I think it's rather interesting that they had a "Total Access Neck Joint", well before Ibanez had their "All Access Neck Joint", as well as the trem that enabled you to load the strings throught the bottom without having to cut the ball ends off. (I'm NOT saying that Ibanez stole the ideas from Yamaha, just that it's interesting. Just figured I'd better say that! )

I've actually been thinking about picking up a 1221, but they are NOWHERE to be found on the used market. Oh well... Couldn't buy one right now anyway... BTW, I also love them because one of my favorite guitarists, Bill Leverty, uses them. (If you only know Firehouse from the singles, you're really missing out! Seriously.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:32 AM

I had 5 921s (HSH bolt ons) from eBay; now I'm down to 4. Love 'em. Great necks (Warmoths), and pups (DiMarzios). Mediocre locking trems.

The bolt ons had THE best bolt neck joint I've ever seen. But it must've been expensive, since it used an internal aluminum plate (tried to get one from Yamaha - they wanted $40!)

I dunno how the neck throughs compare - since Warmoth wouldn't have done those necks, I don't know what they'd feel like.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, those necks were really nice! One of my favorites. I haven;t played any neck throughs, but I've heard that they're also very nice.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:59 AM
RCB

The true Yamaha beasts of the early 90s were the 1412 and the 1421. Both neckthough. The 1412 features a flamed maple board over a mahogany back. In fact the body was a "sandwich" made of THICK flamed top, ebony, magogany, ebony, mahogany. The ebony stripes between the flamed top and the mahogany in the middle and the mahogany in the back are 2mm thin each. The neck was 5 piece with ebony freatboard and MOP/abalone splitted block inlays.

The 1421 was also excellent, but more plain looking.

The other beautifull Yamaha of that era was the wellington custom.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:00 AM
RCB

I meant flamed maple top, not board.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
The true Yamaha beasts of the early 90s were the 1412 and the 1421. Both neckthough. The 1412 features a flamed maple board over a mahogany back. In fact the body was a "sandwich" made of THICK flamed top, ebony, magogany, ebony, mahogany. The ebony stripes between the flamed top and the mahogany in the middle and the mahogany in the back are 2mm thin each. The neck was 5 piece with ebony freatboard and MOP/abalone splitted block inlays.

Dunno about "true". Sure, if that's what you want, but the 921 was a real "super strat" - more strat vibe than the shredder models, and the best neck shape I've ever played.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 AM

i love'em, especially their necks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB

Those were some very nice looking guitars! I only wish I would have played a few of them when I had the chance. I just wasn't interested in them at the time.

I wasn't into neck-throughs, and the Wellington didn't interest me much, because I already had a Gibson Les Paul.

Geez, I sure wish that they would reissue some of those earlier models. They didn't seem to stay around for too long. I wonder if any of them are still available in Japan? I can't find ANYTHING on the net. Virtually the only place you can even find pictures are at the Firehouse, and Bill Leverty sites.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:56 AM
RCB

The 921, 1221, 1212, etc, etc were fine guitars with great value. Today in argentina the used market is flooded with this guitars, and I think they are pretty good (the best used guitar you can get for around U$S250-350 in argentina). The 1412 is another kind of guitar. The last one I saw on an online shop (that had that one and several Yamaha Custom Shop guitars) was asking for U$S1450 for a used one, and it was the first one to sold (even when the Custom Shop guitars were priced in that range).

I dont know the price of the Wellington Custom, but it is one of the most beautifull guitars I ve ever seen, and the most beautifull "Les Paul" style guitar hands down.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Reviews: 6
Yep... love my 921!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
The 921, 1221, 1212, etc, etc were fine guitars with great value. Today in argentina the used market is flooded with this guitars, and I think they are pretty good (the best used guitar you can get for around U$S250-350 in argentina). The 1412 is another kind of guitar. The last one I saw on an online shop (that had that one and several Yamaha Custom Shop guitars) was asking for U$S1450 for a used one, and it was the first one to sold (even when the Custom Shop guitars were priced in that range).

I dont know the price of the Wellington Custom, but it is one of the most beautifull guitars I ve ever seen, and the most beautifull "Les Paul" style guitar hands down.
Sure. They're much more rare, and that and the the highly figured "prettiness" command a price. Same way with 10 top PRSs and such. I just don't that makes them better axes any more than a 1958 flametop Paul is "better" than a 1962 strat. Different strokes, etc. They're both (as are all the 900 series & up Pacificas) great examples of the kind of axe that they are.

One question: do they have trems and is it the same as the one on the 921 & 1221? That was the weak point, IMO.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I think they all had stop tail pieces.

Oh, and by the way, I think it was actually the "Weddington", not "Wellington".
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:19 PM
RCB

You are right about the name. The 1412 and 1421 were double lockers though.

I think the Trem is different to the one found in the 921, 1221 and 1212. In the 1412 you feed the strings from the back of the guitar (its a strange kind of Floyd Rose!) and you dont have to cut the ball ends. It sounds great, but I dont like it!

Well, aside from the cosmetic issue there are other diferences. The 5 piece neck is more stable, the ebony board is a nice feature, and the neckthrough construction provides a very different feel. Plus, the guitar had a kind of semi hollow construction (the called them "tone chambers"). The quality of the fretdressing is also different.

Then come the cosmetical and uniqueness issues.

Dont get me wrong, I like the 921, and the 1221 and 1212. Even the 721 I tried was pretty good for the price.

An RG550 is a very good guitar. But between an RG550 and a jem 10 or a neckthrough J Custom there are other differences besides the cosmetic considerations and details.

Its not just a difference in the finish (flamed top vs regular top). Its a whole different guitar. The only thing they share in common are the pups and the tuners.

Having said that, I can support all your praises about the 921. A pretty good guitar, with the best value in that price range!

Im glad to see that there are a lot of people who care about this guitars
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

What was the model number for the one with the TRS-101 trem on it? 3xx? I played one that belonged to a friend for a while, and even though it was a cheaper model, it played SO nice.

I did have to replace the TRS, though. It was already pretty mangled before I started playing it. Every hole was reamed and stripped, like it had been gang raped by a group of thug allen wrenches.

I had to put a single locking Floyd Rose II on it, from an old Kramer Striker. The base plate overhung on the top side, but that was okay- those stupid things are useless anyway. I just tightened it down so it wouldn't move.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
I think the Trem is different to the one found in the 921, 1221 and 1212. In the 1412 you feed the strings from the back of the guitar (its a strange kind of Floyd Rose!) and you dont have to cut the ball ends. It sounds great, but I dont like it!
The RM-ProII on 3 of my 921s is this way. It is loaded with features, But the pivot points aren't very smooth, spacing is non-standard, and I don't think the points are very well hardened.

Quote:
Well, aside from the cosmetic issue there are other diferences. The 5 piece neck is more stable, the ebony board is a nice feature, and the neckthrough construction provides a very different feel. Plus, the guitar had a kind of semi hollow construction (the called them "tone chambers"). The quality of the fretdressing is also different.
The Warmoth necks have graphite bars in them, IIRC. I like the idea of the chambered body, and I DO prefer ebony boards. I don't contest that the 1400s were better examples of craftsmanship (like Pauls always were vs. Strats, or BMWs over Camaros) Only whether that means it's really a "better" instrument - some people with millions still buy strats, after all.

Tags
access neck joint , allen wrench , allen wrenches , base plate , block inlays , custom shop , custom shop guitar , ebony board , ebony boards , edge trem , flamed maple , floyd rose , gibson les paul , les paul , locking trems , neck joint , neck shape , super strat , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode