Yamaha RGX820Z - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha RGX820Z

Hey guys!

I currently own an Ibanez S470DX ('03) and am looking for another guitar. I found a beautiful one: The yamaha RGX820Z. A piezo, 2 SD Humbuckers, nice neck and headstock, etc..

Ok...what's the deal: Does anyone own one? I'm interested in the Guitar, how it plays, sounds, feels, etc.

so...

Share your experiences

Greets,

CHMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 11:38 PM

Well, I tried one out last week in a store.

It was very beautiful (somewhat like dark transparent red or something).
The specific one I tried had a really bad setup, so it was going out of tune constantly, and the strings were too high, so the playing feel was really unpleasant...
Anyway, the tremolo looked good, so it must work nicely with a decent setup.
The neck was thicker than on a regular RG. It was more the feel of a JPM (wich I love), except it was a little wider (not fatter, tho).
As for the sound, I played it through a Line6 Spider, with the mix out (th guitar has 2 outputs : one for the piezo only and the other for the piezo+magnetic).
The control layout isn't very comfortable and it works in an strange way...and, as the pots don't have any numbers, it can be a little hard to know wich combination of pickups+piezo+volumes are you using at a determinate moment...
The pickups, being Seymour Duncans, are not my cup of tea. They were too bright sounding and too loose on the low frequencies.
I always was more of a Dimarzio guy, but yet, these Duncans really sounded that trebly and not thight...
The body contours are very comfortable, but I didn't like the overall feel of the instrument.

Well, these are my thoughts on this guitar.
But keep in mind that it was really BAD setup, so I'm sure it will feel way more "playable" with a nice setup.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:17 AM

The only RGX I played extensively is a cheap used one I picked up for one of my students. He wanted a shorter scale (you know the RGX is 24.75", right?)

The low line model wasn't great, but it IS great value for money. The Yamaha Pacificas I have are cool, and the RGZs and RGXs I've tried at stores have been nice guitars. If you like how it feels, go for it. Yamaha's quality at any given price point is up there with the best of 'em.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 07:20 PM

the rgx models are standard 25/5 scale, there is even a baritone 26.25-inch model
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezifon
the rgx models are standard 25/5 scale, there is even a baritone 26.25-inch model
So it is!

I was confused because the older RGX & RGZ models were distinguished by scale length, with RGX coming in at Gibson length. My student's guitar sure feels like it. I'll have to check now...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

sounds good, thanks for the comment guys!

Anyone else has some?

Greetz,

CHMC
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Yamaha RGX820Z

I own one.
It rocks... buy it!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM

It's a lovely guitar. The piezo is lovely, and the pickups are quality. I found the bridge being uber-smooth gave the guitar a strange feel, but other than that, v. nice. Surprised they still do it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 4

I modded mine with a GraphTech TremNut.
It had some minor tuning problems when abusing the whammy bar, but they completely disappeared. It is now as stable as a Wilkinson, OFR or even Edge.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 PM

I have one in mint condition plays fast & smooth
willing to sell 500.00 paypal
Scott Gregory

513-205-9813

Tags
seymour duncan , seymour duncans , yamaha pacifica , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode