Yay... just bought myself a new shiny guitar! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Yay... just bought myself a new shiny guitar!

HI! this is my first time to post here but ive always visited this forum for 2 years now. And this is the reason i developed GAS and with all the tips i learned here I bought my first made in japan Ibanez, its a s1220 with glossy transparent black finish with edge tremolo. I also have a JS100 with seymour duncan pups which is also great except for that crappy lo trs 11 trem(which is now fitted with a tremsetter).

I was planning on changing the pups on my new s1220 but when i got home and played it, I was amazed by how good the stock QMS pups were. The harmonics are everywhere and it has this rather thick sound to it. The prestige neck is really great, its fast and feels great and the low action i was able to get is just unbelievable. Next is the looks, it is a killer with a flawless gloss finish. The only thing that dissapointed me is the trem spring block lock is missing. For a brand new guitar this is unacceptable(I posted this issue in the tech section). But still a great guitar, thanks guys for all the great info on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:29 PM

that lock bar isn't really necessary. I have to take mine of anyway as I use 4 springs and .10 guage strings.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:27 PM

Congrats on the new S. I agree with Brian, that lock thingy is not necessary. In fact on the two S models I have right now I've removed them because they rubbed on the cavity cover...even after shimming the neck and raising the bridge...so out they went.
Greg
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 03:55 PM

got any pix,
bud?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:24 PM

I use 4 springs on all my guitars. I still use the spring lock bar. You can use 1 screw or use springs with loops on both ends if you can find them
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:54 AM

I agree it's not necessary, and in all honesty i can't imagine how you could possibly dislodge a spring while playing (!!!???), but still, it should be there... go back to the shop and complain until they give you one, even if they have to pirate it off another guitar. It's nice to have.

Congrats on the guitar, anyway.

-Drew
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 02:45 PM

I totally blew all 3 springs out of my old S470FM. Granted that was a lo-trs trem But it still can happen
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Vendor

I never kept a retainer on my Radius and never had a problem, until it landed in the middle of I95 and got hit by a tractol trailer doing 70. Blew 1 spring off the back, never broke a string
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I never kept a retainer on my Radius and never had a problem, until it landed in the middle of I95 and got hit by a tractol trailer doing 70. Blew 1 spring off the back, never broke a string

Ouch!!!! Did it live?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Vendor

The finish got a bit chunked up but it lives
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:39 PM

I used to have a USRG years ago and i took the block off thinking i didnt need it until i pulled all the way up on the trem and the strings just popped out. I find this weird because every other guitar i had this never happened. Anyone else have this experience with those guitars.

Tags
cavity cover , edge trem , guage strings , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode