yet another '87 rg550 question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

yet another '87 rg550 question

hello, i did a search and found part of my question's answer - they DID make black 550s with maple boards.
the second part of my question is - how rare are they? i know that's a tough/stupid question, but i've only seen one picture in another rg550 post. i bought mine (or my dad bought it for me rather) new, it was my first guitar and i never really gave it too much thought until a few days ago when one of the reissues came in to my work. it was a black one with a rosewood board, which got me thinking...
so i popped the neck off mine to make double sure it was a 550, and it is. i double checked the serial number (F749941) to make double sure it was an '87, and it is. only mine has a maple board! even though it's beat to s*** i thought i had a super duper rare deal going on until i saw that aforementioned picture.

anyway, i'd never sell the guy or anything, so i'm not interested in how much it may be worth. just kinda curious if anyone knows if they're moderately or especially rare.

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: yet another '87 rg550 question

They're not at all rare to my knowledge. As far as I know, in the UK most of them actually came with maple boards. Perhaps that was the same for other markets too? But that was well over 20 years ago now and my memory's not what it used to be.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Reviews: 11

Not rare at all. They seem to be the most popular actually!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 PM

They mostly had rosewood here in the United States, but I've seen a few black ones from that era with maple.
You also have to remember often the date on the neck isn't always the data the guitar was actually released. For example; I have a 2010 RG1550MPBL that has an 09 serial number... the neck was made in 09 and the whole guitar was either assembled in 09 or 10, you can never tell for sure... but I do know this guitar wasn't sent for sale anywhere until last year around June, when the store I deal with (mainly because two of my family work there) received it from their Ibanez distributor.
So it could be that more black with maple RG550 were distributed in 88, it's just that yours has a neck that was built and stamped in 87...
Or not... you'll never know since Ibanez doesn't really keep track of stuff like that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I would imagine many of them spend several weeks stockpiled at a factory, several weeks at the docks, several weeks on a container ship, several weeks at a distributers warehouse and so on...

I've heard 6 month lag times routinely quoted before "next shipments" arrive.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks again for all the info guys!!
i really wish i still played ibanez guitars as this site one of the most helpful and friendly that anyone can come across.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by circustance View Post
thanks again for all the info guys!!
i really wish i still played ibanez guitars as this site one of the most helpful and friendly that anyone can come across.

well, we're not all ibanez whores here.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Speak for yourself!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
some of us used to be.

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode