Yngwie Non Strat guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Yngwie Non Strat guitar

I saw a concert pic of Yngwie a while back, and his guitar was a super-Strat type guitar with a Jackson-like reverse headstock and 2 humbuckers. Try as I might, I can't locate the pic or any info about that guitar. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:46 AM

Re: Yngwie Non Strat guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredOrDead
I saw a concert pic of Yngwie a while back, and his guitar was a super-Strat type guitar with a Jackson-like reverse headstock and 2 humbuckers. Try as I might, I can't locate the pic or any info about that guitar. Anyone have any ideas?
Ive never ever seen Yngwie witha superstrat guitar. Ive seen him with flying v's and les pauls though. He owns a few sg's and the like too, but otherwise no
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 03:45 AM

ShredOrDead:
if you find any pics or clips please post them.

I´ve never seen YJM with such a guitar and I´m very curious.
What year and what tour was the concert?

The strangest guitar in yngwies possession (as far as I know) is the Uli Jon Roth "Sky Guitar".
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

I know he played a Flying V-type guitar (non Gibson) on the "Island In The Sun" video with Alcatrazz (also played strats on it), and he also had an Aria Pro II endorsement for that album. I don;t knwo when or where the pic came from, but I seem to remember large Japanese writing on the body. Looked late 80's or early 90's.

Here's a pic of that Aria Pro II:

Oh, and here's a promo ad for Schecter:

I just saw an auction for a Custom Schecter (auction is over, or I'd post the link ).
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 01:17 PM

Yeah I know about the Aria and Schecter deals.
pretty hilarious.

The pics are from old promo ads.
"The No Parole From Rock´n Roll" album is really good.
Apart from the poor singing performances it´s very nice (IMO).
I´ve got the old Guitar World and Guitar Player issues from that period
and they´re (these ads) all in there. I´ve never seen him with a humbucking guitar though. Except for some of his old Gibsons. That´s what surprised me.
A strat-like guitar with humbuckers on YJM.
I know how he feels about humbuckers.

Ps. Young Guitar Magazine featured a piece on YJM and Paul Gilbert and on one of the pics YJM plays Pauls´ Ibanez and vice versa.
I believe it was the one-off "Elvis" PGM300 with drawings and feathery stuff on it.
And the PGM of course features humbuckers and a reversed head.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersPGM
pretty hilarious.

and they´re (these ads) all in there. I´ve never seen him with a humbucking guitar though. Except for some of his old Gibsons. That´s what surprised me.

Ps. Young Guitar Magazine featured a piece on YJM and Paul Gilbert and on one of the pics YJM plays Pauls´ Ibanez and vice versa.
I believe it was the one-off "Elvis" PGM300 with drawings and feathery stuff on it.
I know, man. This is driving me nuts. I feel like someone that saw a UFO and tries to convince others that it REALLY happened. I gotta find that pic again.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 05:00 PM

I hope you do coz I´m really curious too.

And I believe you I just wanna see it myself coz it mystifies me.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 05:24 PM

I have pictures somewhere of Vai and Yngwie playing each others guitars. ALso isnt the YJM pickup a stacked humbucker? Or at least the HS 3 is

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersPGM
pretty hilarious.

post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
I have pictures somewhere of Vai and Yngwie playing each others guitars. ALso isnt the YJM pickup a stacked humbucker? Or at least the HS 3 is
And isnt the YJM just a more yngiw defined HS 3?. Maybe its the LOOK of parrallel humbuckers...
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
And isnt the YJM just a more yngiw defined HS 3?. Maybe its the LOOK of parrallel humbuckers...
Thats correct i think its just a tweaked hs3. like a fred is just a tweaked paf pro
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 06:43 PM

The YJM is pretty similar to the HS-3 both stacked humbucking single coil size pickups.

The YJM sounds great in the neck, better than a HS-3 but absolute pooh in the bridge position ,very shrill. The tone charts at DiMarzio would not suggest this but believe me it is the case.

I am a scalloped Strat player (yep DiMarzios fave the VV54B actually) and you could say I am a rather big fan of the Yng.

I have seen a pic of YJM playing a Humbucker equipped Strat from the Steeler days, this was a rosewood neck 70's job, and it was used occassionally live during this brief era.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 AM

Yngwie uses HS-3s in the bridge and neck position, the YJM is for middle only. I think he has some of the coolest tones ever, bar none. The scallops affect the tone also, particularly note clarity and the "fret" sound when picking every note, I love it. Makes me want to get a YJM strat, although I would have to try out the scalloped neck first.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:23 AM

The YJM is in the neck actually, but I am sure many of YJM's Strats do have an HS-3 in the bridge and neck. But the new 70s Strats (as in recently acquired) have the YJM in the neck.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 01:25 AM
Ice

y

I have a few scalloped guitars and I can't stand the neck on his strats the scallop is too deep. The strings feel like they are cutting into your fingers when you play chrords untill you get onto the smaller frets.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 12:44 AM

Tags
bridge position , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , fender custom shop , fret buzz , frets scalloped , guitar mag , les paul , les pauls , neck position , paf pro , paul gilbert , piezo system , reverse headstock , rosewood neck , scalloped neck , shawn lane , uli jon roth , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode