Yngwie Strat - Just had to say this. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Yngwie Strat - Just had to say this.

I went to the dealer's today to leave my rg for a setup and I finally saw and verified what i long suspected to be a Yngwie strat.

Very awkward: bigger than usual fender headstock, scalloping ALL-OVER the fretboard, *pi$$ yellow/cream colour and 3 singles. Looks very 70's. I really like it though, and i kinda dig Yngwie's tone too. Does he use marshall amps?

Anyway, the fact that it had a tag of $1870 kinda made my desire burn out.

(Edited by keith at 9:00 pm on April 16, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 04:13 PM

Yngwie Strat

Sooner or later you gotta visit the set-up pages on Jemsite to save yourself both time and money....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 04:53 PM

Yngwie Strat

I've played one and didn't have too much trouble playing it. *Seemed much faster as there was no 'drag' on the fingerboard. *Yngwie has always been partial to oversized headstock 70's Fender strats. *I have to say I like 'em too. *Overall the guitar was pretty nice but I'm a humbucker fan.

Yes, Yngwie runs through Marshalls on tour... don't know about the studio work though.

That price of $1870 is WAY out there. *Probably retail. *You could take at least 30% off that price. *Most places (if you're well established there - meaning you spend lots of money with them!) will give you higher discounts even up to 40-50% off. *I got my 57 LP Black Beauty Custom for 50% off retail. *I've bought many other things there, including a 57 LP Goldtop. *I'd say a new Yngwie Strat could be picked up for around $1000 - $1300 w/case.

Gabe
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Yngwie Strat

Hehe Becalv.......i'm changing from 9's to 10's and dont know how to get the spring tension right. Plus i'm adding 2 springs to make 5 in total.

I'm currently not in the mood of spending a day screwing around with the springs to get the right tension :biggrin:

BTW Gabe........i'm not in the USA...prices here are way higher
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 06:13 PM

Yngwie Strat

I had an oppurtunity to get one at a local dealer about a year ago for under $900 used. *It had a small chip on it, and that was it. *It was only like a month old.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 06:58 PM

Yngwie Strat

I love the Malmsteen strats.I've always thought of them as a violin for guitar players.Theres something so vintage and natural about the guitar.

I've played one only once and I remember *the moment I picked it up,I could totally get the Malmsteen vibe.The tone was very natural sounding compared to the Jem.
And another surprising thing was that I did some absolutely crazy whammying and the strings never went out of tune even once.I'd always thought that that was impossible without a locking nut.

I kept trying all kinds of stuff and it wouldn't go out of tune AT ALL.How come the other fenders I've played go out of tune with only a wobble?

I think it had something to do with the brass nut.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 04:46 PM

Yngwie Strat

As a owner of several YJM modded strats [inc a YJM] and a RG3120 then I can say the YJM is the more natural organic instrument, the scalloped neck does not aid anything as far I am concerned. *It is seeing most of the action with the RG3120 reserved for the more 80's metal pyrotechnics. *The YJM sings more naturally than the RG but they both have their uses.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 05:09 PM

Yngwie Strat

Gettin new springs (which i would have only gone with one) and then putting on heavy strings should have counteracted each other, and at most its only about a 5 min job. Thats with checking intonation. Course changing the strings on a Floyed Rose can be a ritual in its own. Ive seen some pretty weird techniques for it. Remember that the more springs you put on ther the harder the trem becomes to use.

Malmsteen has always used Marshalls. The really old ones with no presence, and he cranks them to between 8 and 10 depending on the show. Show size also determins how many stacks he uses. The scalloped neck will not really make you faster, but there is less drag. A lot of peopel cant play scallopes becuase the way the strings dig into your fingers. For me it just helps with grip. Especialy in the higher frets.

I love the way this guitar looks go with the Vintage White all the way.

buzz
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 02:50 AM

Yngwie Strat

I saw one Mamsteen's show in Sao Paulo and on the press interview he says that he own about 100 marshal heads and 200 fenders guitars white cream, scalloped, fat hand with same configuration (middle pickup off, only work bridge and neck) and most of them are vintage.

(Edited by LGMT at 1:52 am on April 18, 2001)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 05:57 AM

Yngwie Strat

YJM Rig:

Its as simple as this:

Fender Strat [pref Vintage White] scalloped and dimarzio'd up.

Dod250 Overdrive Preamp [this baby does give you that Malmsteen tight low end]

Dunlop Wah [optional]

Marshall 50watt NON master head c.72-73 or the Marshall 1987x re-issue, an exact replica of the 72 metal panel Marshall which is what YJM uses - he is not a plexi man.

Marshall 4x12" [x2] pref loaded with Celestion 30watt speakers [70's vintage] not V30's.

In an optional rack then put in:
2x Korg DL8000R [delays]
1x TC Electronics G Force
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss Flanger
Boss Octave.

This is all run after a line out signal has been taken from the Marshall heads then run through the rack into Marshall 400watt poweramps back into the multitude of Cabs.

For older YJM then just bypass the rack for Steeler to Trilogy tone.

The basis of Yngwie's sound is POWERTUBE distortion, not preamp, although his sound is starting to lean towards that side of late.

Also if you want the Facing The Animal or Concerto tone then you need to get a Fender Roc Pro head or combo, and go from the preamp line out into the Marshall head [in place of the Dod250 or TS-9 Tubescreamer]. *This was basically used as an elaborate overdrive pedal.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 05:55 PM

Yngwie Strat

Also dont forget that he does actually use his middle pickups on the new stuff. He was quoted as saying "that was just a phase. It was really childish of me."
If you search his site it should have the article in it. I think it was from guitar one, or guitar world the end of last year.

buzz
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 AM

Thumbs up Re: Yngwie Strat - Just had to say this.

I got a MINT vtg White 2006 USA Yngwie Strat with plastic still on the pickguard and warranty card and Fender tweed case and all tags and paperwork for trade, would trade for a Jem or $1400 if anyones interested. Pics upon request.. Thanks
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 AM

Re: Yngwie Strat - Just had to say this.

Way to bump an 8 year old thread for the sake of advertising a deal that isn't even that good. God damn!

I mean come on. The new Malmsteen strats have machine bolts for the neck and whatnot, and they're still available brand new for less than you're selling your 2006.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 AM

Reviews: 4

How many threads can one person advertise a guitar in?
Shouldn't the classifieds be enough?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
How many threads can one person advertise a guitar in?
Shouldn't the classifieds be enough?
+ 1

Regards,

Sam.

Tags
dunlop wah , fender roc pro , fender strat , fender strats , guitar players , locking nut , malmsteen strat , marshall amp , noise suppressor , overdrive pedal , scalloped neck , tube distortion , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode