You and your seven - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

You and your seven

wanted to start a discussion a little aside from the technical stuff

So, how long have you guys been playing the seven string and how did you get into playing it?
Do you feel like it makes you more erm... "peaceful with yourselves"?

And hey, are you ready to go further?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:18 PM

I have played for about a week. Except I have owned the guitar for much longer. (Stupid trem posts) Oh well, I should be playing again by Tuesday! I got into it because it was different and seemed more interesting to me. And when I got it I must say I was beyond satisfied. 7 strings are awesome. They help me be more creative and just bring out more possiblities that I have in my head.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:33 AM

Started playing 7s back in 1990(or so) when I bought a UV7PWH. So I guess I've been playing them for about 13 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
And hey, are you ready to go further?!
Yep.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:52 AM

i got my 1st 7 string about 3 months ago.

its been great all the time, i took to it realy quickly and its been very much an opener to new ideas.

i find that i tend to use it quite somberly (is that a word lol)
i dont realy use to for heavy riffing
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:59 AM

I've been playing 7-strings since December. I love it. It definitely opens up new ideas in my playing, and gives new levels to things. I just love how much more versatile it is than most people think. For example, I played in a band with my friend at his school's battle of the bands, and we played "My Hero" by the Foo Fighters, I used my 7-string in drop-A.

I'm finding 7-string punk is lots 'o' fun

But of course, can't forget about the metal.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:05 AM

I've had mine for about 2 years and am basically just getting used to it now.. I've been using it like a 6 string a lot, adding the low B in on some runs, or sometimes to play some death metal(or Nevermore) riffs..
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

A little about myself: I got mine during my exams before the holidays, so somewhere in June. But I've started playing sevens for maybe a year or so as I used to spend hours in a shop playing that old 7620 over and over again!
What can I say, I've wanted to get me one for quite a long time, now that I have it, I'm addicted. Even though I dont use the low B all the time, I just like to feel that neck in my hands, it's so nice!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:33 AM

I've had my 7-string for a little over a year.

I always wanted to extend my range a bit, and i love the low end. But i didn't want to give up the high end as well, so low-tuning wasn't going to give me what i wanted.

Most of the sevens i tried had necks that were just too thin and flat feeling for me. For lead playing, those necks are great, but i'm primarily a rhythm player (and i have fairly wide hands and long fingers), so i prefer a bit of a beefier neck that i can dig into a bit more.

When i found my Dean, it was the first seven i really felt at home on. It took a few days to re-orient myself, but the transition has been fairly easy.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 09:52 AM

Time flies...I've had my UV777BK since early february 2000. I've played it a lot but it's so darn shiny it still looks a lot newer I just wanted to have one so I ordered one in the same week that my grandmother died...I didn't feel the least happy about ordering it...now it's the only guitar I really feel at home on...next to the SG I learned to play on that is...
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 10:28 AM

I finally got my RG1527 last Tuesday. I noodled around with it for a couple of days. I finally got it completely set up on Friday with a set of 11's tuned down a half step. I did the neck, bridge, intonation adjustments myself which gave me a better understanding of the guitar by the way. All I can say is that it is amazing. I took a chance on ordering a guitar I had never played but I was completely satisfied. I have gotten used to the extra string ad the akwardness is over. I believe that it will expand my musical vocabulary so to speak. I got into it because some of my favorite players use a 7 and I love the way it sounds (Vai, Petrucci, etc.).
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:09 AM

I started playing seven strings guitar back in 1995, I had just discovered Passion and Warfare and I was listening it a lot. One day I went to a guitar shop,... And there it was, a UVPWH used but in great condition.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:18 AM

I've been playing 7 string since 1998. I couldn't igmagine ever going back to 6 string. When I pick one up now, it feels like a Ukelele.

I first got interested when I saw George Van Eps and Howard Alden in concert together in 1991 or '92. Van Eps "invented" the 7 string in the late 30's and Howard was his protege. At the time, the only 7 strings I could find were the Ibanez shred machines and I didn't think those fit my playing at all. 7 strings were becoming popular in the jazz world, but those players were using very expensive custom made instruments and I didn't have the cash for one of those. Eventually I hit a financial bonanza and had a 7 string arch top built for me by Jimmy Foster. Ironically, 21 guitars later, my favorite production 7 string is the Ibanez 7421XL, so perhaps I should have started with Ibanez after all.

As most of you know, I'm now in the final stages of bringing my own line of 7 strings to the market, so if there are any problems now, I'll ony have myself to complain to.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:14 PM

Got my Ibanez RG1527 in April. I play it often yet I find myself being able to amost flawlessly go from 6 to 7 strings.
Although if I ever find a ESP F207 or get a custom made ax similiar to a 7 string F series guitar, I'd probably end up only using that.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:42 PM

I have been playing 7-string guitar for about 2 1/2 years. I have a RG2027, which I've owned for almost 2. I love it, and find playing a 6-string guitar now to be a rather odd experience! The neck is so... skinny!
I have been playing guitar for 12 years, and I got into drop tunings a LONG time ago. It always seemed like I was wanting a lower range, but, like Darren, I didn't want to get rid of my treble register. I settled into my standard tuning about 10 years ago, everything down a half step, then the low E dropped to D (which makes it technically D flat.) Cool, but I wanted more. Also, adding to the fact, I was influenced by studying classical guitar in college. Two factors
A) Classical guitar necks are so much wider than most electric 6-strings. I immediately found this more comfortable. The 7-string neck is closer to the classical width.
B) I had a seminar/collegium with a great classical player, named Paul Galbraith. He is a very accomplished Bach stylist, and he plays on a custom built 8-string (which he plays like a cello!) I was fascinated.
All these things put me on the road to 7-stringdom. Now that I answered that question with a dang book!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:53 PM

It's interesting that this thread came up. After playing 7-strings exclusively for almost a decade, I recently went back to 6s. See http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...=240947#240947

Tags
air norton , death metal , guitar players , guitar shop , guitar tech , ibanez jpm , neck position , pat metheny , playing guitar , shred machine , string bass , string guitars , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode