Your First Ibanez Guitar story - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Your First Ibanez Guitar story

My first Ibanez was a RG560 grape ice.

Ibanez RG560 Wiki

Ibanez RG560 Grape Ice (not my pic)

It did not have a pickguard and had a single coil pickup in the neck position. I'm guessing this was about '87 or '88.

I traded a 84(?) Gibson Les Paul Standard maple top/ Tiger Stripe for the brand new Ibanez, it's hardshell case and a delay box. I had paid $430 for the Les Paul. I don't have that Ibby anymore, but it was perhaps the smoothest playing guitar I have ever owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Your First Ibanez Guitar story

No 560s had pickguards, and they all had the H-S-S pickups config. The 570s had no pickguard, and sported an H-S-H config.
My first Ibanez was a 1989 RG-500 DY. I was stationed in Japan fron 1991-1994, and while there--I snagged that 550 from a pawn shop for $200.00
I sold it when I was prepparing to move back to the States--wish I still had it. The previous owner has placed a WWII style nose art sticker on the back cover and I left it on--had a cool vibe to it.

post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM

RG560 Grape Ice also :-)

Still miss it although been lucky enough to play plenty of others to hide the pain... ;-)
post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:12 PM

It was an RG350DX.

It was gone in a couple months.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM

I had a Roadster II as my first. Loved the guitar but I made the mistake of putting in a Rockinger double locking system on it. Should have just left it alone.

Last edited by PBGas; 09-08-2010 at 02:39 PM.
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM

'89 RG760DG purchased new in '90. Still have it, and it may still my favorite Ibby I have.

I was one of those people who, back in the day scoffed at Ibanez since it was Japanese, and anything that wasn't a Les Paul or an Explorer, much less not American made was IMO not worth looking twice at. I was notorious for giving my friends who had Ibbys flack for playing such garbage.

Went to my local music store to window shop one day, saw the 760, and couldn't believe they had the audacity to charge that high a price for an Ibanez, I mean who the heck were they kidding? $1000 for a Japanese guitar? I picked it up, with the full intent to be able to talk about what a POS it was for, and at a ludicrous price at that.

Took it for a spin, lowered my head in shame, and put it on layaway. But only after getting poked fun at by the guy who owned the store for buying a guitar from a company he'd known me to talk trash about so frequently.

I mowed lawns and bagged groceries the entire summer to pay for that guitar, and it was worth every bit of blood and sweat I put into it. I still don't feel like I play well enough to warrant owning her, but she loves me all the same.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Not really much of a story for me. First Ibby was an Ibanez S series 1625FB. Bought it while studying in the States for a year in 2004. Cost me $1300 (the exchange rate at the time meant that equated to £650). At the time, in the UK the equivalent guitar cost was £1300!! I did not declare it at customs upon returning to the UK .... It was great being in the States at that time. Not only was everything a lot cheaper in the USA, but the UK to USA exchange rate was fabulous. I felt like a millionare living in the USA, £1 = $2.

The S1625FB was the first mid-high price guitar id ever owned and still the most expensive bit of kit ive bought (no ambition at this stage to spend more). Great guitar, the D-Tuna is the handiest thing about it, and the bubinga finish looks awesome. Still play her today.

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S1625FB
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 PM

1977, sold my very first guitar, a '68 Fender Mustang and bought a used Ibanez "Stratocaster"
White with a maple fretboard.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 4

My First was An artcore AFS75t in blue, the serial# dates it to the last week of production!!! My dad bout it for me for my 13th birthday, it was a great suprise, and has been wonderful to me for a long while! before than i was playing a '61 kay archtop that had been stuck in our closet forever (my grandmothers) and my dads 1982(ish) harmony H-802.

It has been my only guitar since really, but I hope on getting a good used 80s/90s RG550 or comparable soon. but its definitely gonna be an ibanez!

Ibanez has opened me up to so much great music, like steve vai, who I may have not gotten into if it had not been for Ibanez. I even went to jemfest and the vai masterclass, he signed my guitar and I had the best weekend ever!!!

yay
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Mine was a 350DX bougth in 2005 I think.. I had good moments with it, and served me well.. but now the trem doesn't work, I have replaced the locking nut twice, droped it in some ocasions, and now is falling to pieces..
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 AM

I walked into the local Ibanez dealer one day, they had a sale going on.
They all of a sudden had a PGM300. I had never seen it, it was hanging on the wall above the counter really high. Now it was on the floor and I was like "whhhaaattt" Where did this guitar come from. They said nobody had bought it and it had been hanging on the wall for about a year... I said where, "up there" .... No wonder nobody bought it hehe.
I walked out with a brand new PGM300 for 600$
Couldn't belive it...
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armann View Post
I walked into the local Ibanez dealer one day, they had a sale going on.
They all of a sudden had a PGM300. I had never seen it, it was hanging on the wall above the counter really high. Now it was on the floor and I was like "whhhaaattt" Where did this guitar come from. They said nobody had bought it and it had been hanging on the wall for about a year... I said where, "up there" .... No wonder nobody bought it hehe.
I walked out with a brand new PGM300 for 600$
Couldn't belive it...
i would kill for that deal
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 AM

I had an Artcore AFS78T, black with gold glitter. It was a limited edition and I stupidly part-exchanged it for a Rickenbacker 620 (which I hated) and I still regret it to this day. Ibanez recently released the new AFS75T which is near identical so I'm hoping to buy one of those to repent for my sins
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Went to a guitar store and wanted a dualhumbucker guitar with Floyd Rose. They gave me a Peavey Wolfgang to try at home. Something was not right, so I gave them a call and asked if they had something else. They did, and one of the guys from the store brought it home after work and we traded guitars in the middle of nowhere (inhabitants of this place might disagree, but it really is nowhere...). When I got home I opened the case and saw the Ibanez Jem10th for the first time. It was used and far from mint, but wow! Amazing looks. Turned out it was not so amazing as a player, so I sold it after a few years. My first Ibanez, most likely better than many others first experience with the brand.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 AM

My first guitar was this terrible Arbor electric that I got at the music store I took guitar lessons from (and in hindsight, paid way too much for the guitar). During the summer of 1997, I was in college and decided that I couldn't afford a new guitar, so I would upgrade the pickups. I went into the Guitar Center near me purchased these.

Before I had the chance to install them, I was in the GC in downtown Chicago and happened to see that they had a clearance sale going on RG517's (RG570 with metal flake paint). I was going to pay $300 for it. So I put a silver metal flake one on layaway, but had to go return the pickups to the other GC to get the remainder of the money.

I went back to the store near me the next day and overheard a conversation between the store manager and a customer. They had a '96 USRG30 that had been hanging on the rack for over a year. Some customer had paid a deposit it and then bailed on the sale. The factory setup was terrible and the thing had a $1600 price tag on it, so it was never selling. The manager had apparently offered the guitar to a guy for $500, but the customer had just bought a PRS so he passed on the deal. I immediately got really excited and asked if he'd still make that deal. He said sure and I walked out of there with a USRG30 for $500. The next day I had to go cancel the layaway on the RG517.

Tags
rg560 first

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode