Your thoughts on Ibanez V7, V8 humbuckers. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Your thoughts on Ibanez V7, V8 humbuckers.

I just got a nice 1992 RG550 in Lazer Blue with a Lo-Pro Edge tremolo.

Its got the stock pickups, a V8 in the bridge, a S1 in the middle, and a V7 in the neck.

What are your thoughts on these pickups? im very curious to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:20 PM

Re: Your thoughts on Ibanez V7, V8 humbuckers.

I have a S 7420 7-string that has V7 (7) and V8 (7) pickups. They sound really good live. The neck pickup especially.
They aren't the best but I plan Not to replace them. The guitar sounds great!
I have a friend that has a RG 570 and he has the same pickups you do.
He also has a S7420. He hates the sound of his RG 570 but loves the sound of his 7420. So I am curious to know as well.
It seems as though maybe the 7-string versions are better but I think it's because our 7420's are Mahogany?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:52 PM

they are better off swapped. they are decent but lacking in bass. i've swapped all the pickups in all my Ibanez, less my RG7620 which came with default Dimarzios...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Hmm. I think they are harsh sounding and not very bassy, I was afraid it was my guitar.

Would Evolutions sound good in the RG550? The only thing Im worried about is that the guitar will be too bright for them.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
Hmm. I think they are harsh sounding and not very bassy, I was afraid it was my guitar.

Would Evolutions sound good in the RG550? The only thing Im worried about is that the guitar will be too bright for them.
I've got a 1991 RG570EG with an EVO at the bridge. Best swap I ever did. The neck pickup is just fine for most applications, I have yet to find a situation where it didn't really fit, or I'd just use one of my other guitars that did fit.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:28 AM

i had v7/8 in my rg570 and found that they lacked character, if u know what i mean :P

swapped them for a tonezone bridge and paf-pro neck, best thing i ever did, they sound just amazing
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:05 PM

yeah i swapped the bridge and left the other 2 in my rg570. they sound fine. the bridge just lacked 'it' for a bridge pickup, i thought. so i put an evo in
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 PM

I found them too muddy on my Rg 550, I recently removed them and replaced them with Seymour Duncan's (JB Trembucker and a Jazz Neck) It sounds a lot better now; much more definition.

I'd recommend a '59 Trembucker for the bridge instead of the JB, the JB is a little bright for Basswood...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM

I would swap mine out (88 rg550) if I didn't already spend all my money elsewhere. I hate those original pickups with a passion, I just ended up with the guitar after a friend didn't want it anymore.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:16 AM

I acquired an old 570 with them. I wouldn't say they're the worst pickups I've ever owned, but they're far from the best. Totally muddy, no distinctive sound, no clarity, No coil tap capability on the humbuckers. Turn the volume down and hear your sound descend into so much mud. I ended up taking them to bits just so I could use the base plates for some new humbuckers that I made myself. The base plates were the best things about them - real solid.

Cheers,

Dave
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:58 PM

Everyone hears pickups differently, but I do not care for the V7/V8s. I have an Alder bodied RT450 that came with them, and I thought they were harsh and sloppy (this is already a bright and edgy sounding git. I replaced the bridge with with a Duncan JB, and there was an improvement, then with a DiMarzio PAF Pro, which was even better. With the 2 PU changes, the fundamental sound or output of the guitar didn't change much, it just got more articulate with heavier distortion. I don't play metal, so YMMV.

-Fuze
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 06:22 PM

I just replaced the V7/V8/S1 in a RG 570 with a Dimarzio Air Norton, Tone Zone and Blue Velvet reverse wound single coil. I am absolutely stunned at how much better this guitar sounds. The old pickups were Ok but this is an incredible improvement. The Tone Zone in particular is an absolute sledgehammer.
i thought about this pickup swap for @ 2 years before I did it and I should have done it sooner.
I highly recommend it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:21 PM

Do any of you guys who have experience with the V7/V8 pickups also have any experience with the Infinity pickups? My RG370DX came with INF3/4 pickups and they're a major improvement to me over the powersound pickups that I've seen in other Ibanez guitars. But then, they put those V7/V8 pickups on even higher grade guitars so I just wanted to hear your opinions.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Hi, I did this upgrade myself just a week ago (V7 & V8 into my RG320 in place of the INF pickups). It does sound better, but I have not tested them at band practise volume yet, so I am itching to do that! I too would like to hear other players opinions...... In my opinion they have slightly more charectar and tonal complexity, sound generally more expensive.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM

I just realised what an old thread this is!

Tags
air norton , alder bodied , base plate , bridge pickup , coil tap , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , edge trem , ibanez guitars , neck pickup , paf pro , powersound pickups , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , pro neck , seymour duncan , tone zone , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode