Your thoughts on the RGR521EX2 - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

View Poll Results: Is it the guitar rad?
Hells yeah 6 22.22%
Hells nah 21 77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Re: Your thoughts on the RGR521EX2

It would have been fine if they left that damn skull thing off of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM

Looks cool if you ask me
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM

seen it before

its a piece of ****
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 PM

I think the inlays are beyond sweet. And personally, I love the reaper.

BUT... That doesn't mean the guitar itself is of any quality to speak of. It's basically the same as the RG3EX1 that I bought from GC, which I only bought as a backup, thinking I might even give it to a cousin of mine who is an aspiring guitarist.

Sweet inlays + crappy hardware + crappy wood + awful pickups = overpriced guitar. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "junk", but you can do a lot better for your money.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Your thoughts on the RGR521EX2

I like it!!! I just wish it had a floating trem but the inlay and the reverse headstock are cool!!!
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffron Shrimp View Post
I bought one of these in early october, and when i received it in the mail, the fretwork was bad, very sharp and inconsistant, plus the neck was barely screwed in to the body, the inlay work look good from far away but up close it was bad, some of the inlays were sticking out of the fingerboard,

stock pickups were not good, and mine came with a huge scratch. i was going to send it back but my brother like it so i had them exchange it and the next one came without a switch tip and a volume knob the electronics were not connected so there was no sound, instead of fixing it I just got a refund, also these were new from the factory not used or anything. so i figured after i spent 200 on pick ups, and 80 for a fret level and crown I could get something much better for $730, just my opinion.

ss.
In that case I stand corrected about it even playing good...it's just gimmicky nonsense.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
I saw one of these in a local guitbox shop and thought it was custom. i dropped a deposit on it to find out it was a limited edition from namm. if you guys haven't seen it, it has a black pearloid vine and reversed headstock. check it out:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Produ.../000002607.jpg

what are your thoughts on it? it's $350; not bad for a guitar with a vine . if i follow through on the deal, i'm dropping a d-sonic and an AN in there, but i'm still skeptical. yay or nay?
You can pretty much disregard all the pretentious cliche's replying to your question. You don't need to spend thousands on a Steve Vai or Joe Satriani signature model guitar, but real guitar enthusiasts know that already. Play one of these first, then form your own educated opinion.

I was very curious about this model and finally found one in fantastic condition. I'm the 3rd owner, the 1st of which got it directly at NAMM in 2006 which was the only place it was available. He traded it to his roommate and then left it in the case for nearly a decade. I've played several Ibanez over the years and this one really spoke to me as any good guitar will do if it fits the owner.

Here are some thoughts on this model based on mine:

- "The inlays are cheap" - Wrong. The skull, hands and part of the blade of the scythe are mother of pearl, the rest is pearloid. Conscientious luthiers and guitar shops use a mixture, or even all pearloid at this point because it saves abalone stocks rather than depleting the environment of a precious resource. As for the quality of the inlays, they are tight, well crafted and a gorgeous contrast between the real mother of pearl parts and pearloid parts. Half of the idiots in here probably have pearloid inlays and don't even know it. It's the Stevie Ray Vaughn effect, one person says something and the rest repeat it without actually knowing anything about it.

Whether you like the "Grim Reaper" design or not is personal choice. I dig it, a lot, not only because it's unique and you aren't going to find it on another guitar, but it's also very well crafted. The inlays aren't raised at all and the whole setup from the 24th to the 1st fret is tight.

- "The pickups are junk because they aren't real EMGs" - Wrong. They were designed by EMG so they're essentially EMGs, just tweaked for this model of guitar. They have a great tight, chunky sound without overdoing the gain to where it sounds like tinfoil-sandpaper junk. Through a nice Marshall they scream and give the metal guitarist everything he or she needs. I wouldn't (and won't) change them for "real" EMGs because they are custom EMGs. This is a debate you'll run into with Gibson Les Paul fanboys who tell everyone the Epiphone Les Paul's aren't as good. Anyone who has played a newer Epiphone knows those guitars are well-constructed and sound fantastic, as good as any Gibson Les Paul. Guess why? They are Gibson Les Paul's made overseas. Yup, that's the only difference.

- "The guitar looks cheap and probably plays like crap" - Wrong. Looks cheap? Great opinion based on nothing. The solid mahogany body weighs a ton and the paint-job is gorgeous. The gold swirls are very well done all over giving this guitar a really unique look that goes well with the fretboard. The neck is as good as any Ibanez (because it is an Ibanez!) and the action is as smooth and fast as any Ibanez out there.

- "I bought one used and it sucked" - Bad luck. I bought one that's 14 years old in near mint condition and it's in fantastic shape. Buying anything used is a roll of the dice, not everyone wins.

- "The Ex1 version is the same without the Grim Reaper and scythe, just the vine" - Sort of. The Ex1 has the same overall hardware setup but the fretboard has a pearloid barbed wire design from 24th to 1st frets instead of a vine. It's not nearly as nice as the mixed Grim Reaper and vine inlays on the Ex2.

Overall the guitar is very well constructed right along the lines of any RG 500 series model, and to top it off it's a great, unique collector's item. It was rare 10 years ago, it's even more so now. You simply won't find this model available for sale anywhere at this point. The last two I saw for sale anywhere the owners had already swapped out original parts ruining the value of the guitar. The chances of you walking into a guitar shop and finding one hanging on the wall are pretty much slim and none. Like Chuck Schuldiner's B.C. Rich Stealth, the Ibanez RGR 521 Ex2 has become a rarity and a neat, great sounding collector's item.

I wouldn't worry too much about impressing anyone on this forum. As with any guitar test drive it yourself and see what you think, not that you'll find this one in mint condition anywhere. I imagine that's what fueled most of the hatred for this model on this thread.

IMO it's a fantastic collector's item to add to your guitar collection if you can find one.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:37 PM

Holy necrobumps, Batman!

Tags
fret level , reverse headstock , reversed headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in