Zachary Guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Zachary Guitars

Anyone every heard of or played a Zachary Guitar? http://www.zacharyguitars.com/ The guy who makes them is named Alex, and hes crazy. Their site is **** but they boast having the best guitars in the business, and the harmony reviews look really good. I discovered them a year ago and am very interested in them. Their site is a joke, but their guitars are serious. He only sells a few a year, and they're expensive, also, you apparently have to apply to get a guitar, you cant just buy one.

EDIT: Found a youtube page for the site http://www.youtube.com/user/zacharyguitars

Last edited by ComeAlone; 01-23-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Re: Zachary Guitars

They have been mention and mocked on here before. If you do a search you will find some threads about them.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Please don't start this again haha, Dino will be comin... I smell it haha
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 PM

I own two Zachary guitars and they are as awesome as he says they are. The problem is getting him to sell you one. Alex is very passionate about what he does and his work shows that, but his obsessiveness makes him hard to deal with. I am a good example of that actually, I have said nothing but great things about his guitar and defended his ways many times here on this forum, but when he found out I had purchased a 550 reissue he got upset and offended and refused to sell me another guitar. He actually went out of his way to cut me out of his "inner circle" and refunded the deposit I had put down for over a year... I'm not sure what he thought or was told about me but I am sure he would be horrified to know that I have become a guitar builder now (working with a good friend of mine now www.cronkguitars.com.) I would never copy any of his designs but he hates other builders "tinkerer's" is what he calls them... I dunno I guess that is a good definition of what I do at this point.

If you are a serious player and believe in the same things that he does then he will sell you a guitar but be forwarned he expects an exclusive relationship. At least he tells you straight out on his website what he is all about and doesnt give you a BS sales pitch to just get your money. I still play my Zachary guitars they are my favorite in my arsenal, well worth the drama it takes to get one if you are into them and there is alot of truth to the things he says, and I think many of his ideas are great, like the tension optimized strings and simple tube amp as well. I think the real deal is that guitars are not his main business he also owns music store that sells band instruments and horns, things of that nature so the guitar thing he just does the way he wants to do it and be himself, and screw whoever don't like it.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

When I first saw his site I thought it was a mock site.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAlone View Post
When I first saw his site I thought it was a mock site.
You mean it's not...
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I own two Zachary guitars and they are as awesome as he says they are. The problem is getting him to sell you one. Alex is very passionate about what he does and his work shows that, but his obsessiveness makes him hard to deal with. I am a good example of that actually, I have said nothing but great things about his guitar and defended his ways many times here on this forum, but when he found out I had purchased a 550 reissue he got upset and offended and refused to sell me another guitar. He actually went out of his way to cut me out of his "inner circle" and refunded the deposit I had put down for over a year... I'm not sure what he thought or was told about me but I am sure he would be horrified to know that I have become a guitar builder now (working with a good friend of mine now www.cronkguitars.com.) I would never copy any of his designs but he hates other builders "tinkerer's" is what he calls them... I dunno I guess that is a good definition of what I do at this point.

If you are a serious player and believe in the same things that he does then he will sell you a guitar but be forwarned he expects an exclusive relationship. At least he tells you straight out on his website what he is all about and doesnt give you a BS sales pitch to just get your money. I still play my Zachary guitars they are my favorite in my arsenal, well worth the drama it takes to get one if you are into them and there is alot of truth to the things he says, and I think many of his ideas are great, like the tension optimized strings and simple tube amp as well. I think the real deal is that guitars are not his main business he also owns music store that sells band instruments and horns, things of that nature so the guitar thing he just does the way he wants to do it and be himself, and screw whoever don't like it.

This is HILARIOUS bwahahahahahaahahahahahha
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I own two Zachary guitars and they are as awesome as he says they are. The problem is getting him to sell you one. Alex is very passionate about what he does and ....... etc etc

In other words Zachary is an arrogant bell end.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Haha, I like the whole idea about having to be approved to buy one of his guitars. Sure, it is a little arrogant, but I can perfectly understand him. If it's just a side thing that you put your heart into now and then, why not go all out and make sure that your work gets used the best? And I bet it is a load of fun to weight up other people against each other too ;-)
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM

Whatever next.........

They do say history repeats itself!!!!!
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

all comments on youtube about zachary guitars have been disabled hahahaha i wonder why.i wouldnt touch em with a barge pole.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think the whole self promotion thing is brilliant and the restricted demand for only those players the builder deems good enough it seems... It seems very much like the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome to me.

I'm not saying they're not great guitars, they might be, I just think the hype is pure genius

Also, I listened to the youtube clips and was rather dissappointed by the sounds the demonstrator was getting from the guitars!

Last edited by jono; 01-26-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM

I'd love to have one in the house for a week or two; I'm sure they're fine instruments.

Dino, how many Zachary guitars are actually out there floating around? 100, 500? 20?
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I'd love to have one in the house for a week or two; I'm sure they're fine instruments.

Dino, how many Zachary guitars are actually out there floating around? 100, 500? 20?
By my count he has built 134 guitars. I estimate his total guitar related sales revenue thus far to be just under $250,000. So it seems plausible that he truly does this just as an act of defiance against the industry. Which in itself seems commendable although the arrogance betrays his intentions by putting off so many people who could benifit from wisdom he so wants to teach us.

If you ignore the negativity you can relate to his stories. There are some of us on this board that can remember when times were different and can relate. For example I got a kick out of this story: http://www.zacharyguitars.com/150109pics.htm He even has a picture of himself at the bottom proving it's true. I agree the marketing is genius in a way, sort of an anti maketing idea... some of you anti trendy kids should be eating this stuff up!!!

Last edited by Dino; 01-26-2009 at 05:29 PM.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:31 PM

So, Dino, which are yours?

Tags
zachary guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode