ZR Trem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
ZR Trem

How has the ZR performed for everyone out there? is it as good as the OE, worse or better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Re: ZR Trem

bump?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:36 PM

I like it a hell of a lot, but its very very stiff, and the arm holder is badly designed and is prone to breaking. That stiffness has an advantage in that its very easy to be subtle with it, and also it stays in tune very well. tuning it up is almost as easy as a fixed bridge, whether you change one string or all of them.

(as regards the bar, The threads that the bar screws into are only present on the plastic cap at the end. No metal threads at all. And the nut tends to come loose. Combined, those mean that unless you take VERY good care of it and tighten that nut periodically, you may one day be whammying away, and 'KLUNK' and suddenly the bar is looser than a taiwanese grandmother of 4 addicted to crack cocain in harlem.)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 120

Isn't the whammy bar something that has been improved on the newer versions of the ZR?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 PM

Nope, what they improved was the knurled knob that controls the bar tension. It had a habit of slipping off on the old ones. The newest versions still have the same tremolo bar holder I think.

The ZR2 does use a push in bar holder though, although as far as ibanez are saying thats a different tremolo. (despite being exactly the same with an edge pro style arm holder and the bushings are at the top under a collar, not underneath on the bar.)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM

I like my bar loose and trem free floating. I tried Edge3, Original Edge and Zr for floating trems. It does feel different, but I would prefer a Zr over any other locking tremolos. I've had my guitar for almost 2 years now and my trem arm hasn't yet snapped so thats good. Keeps its tuning perfectly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
you may one day be whammying away, and 'KLUNK' and suddenly the bar is looser than a taiwanese grandmother of 4 addicted to crack cocain in harlem.)
That's pretty damn loose!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 PM

Reviews: 2

I already bought a guitar with ZR tremolo. there are two springs designed to be easily removed. If you remove them the trem is unbelievable smooth. Flutter is unbelievable easy to do.
I heard a lot of stories about the ZR arm holder so I bought replacements.
No problem for me, Hakuna-matata.
I love it.

First time I wanted to buy a guitar with Edge Pro or Floyd Rose Original. Now I think I will never give up ZR tremolo.

Last edited by Orochimaru; 11-04-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Tags
floating trems , locking tremolo , tremolo bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode