ZR TUNING HEAD PROBLEM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

ZR TUNING HEAD PROBLEM

hello there guys....i am not quite sure if this is a problem or not. i have a S-570DXQM. i noticed that the tuning head for the "A" string (the one on the ZR trem) dosent have that much slack or room for tuning compared to the other tuners. is that how it supposed to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Re: ZR TUNING HEAD PROBLEM

Hi,

it's very strange. All tuning heads are the same for all saddles.
I think it's not a real problem but you can change it by order
the single part.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 PM
A_J

Maybe you're noticing is what I do, the fine tuner takes more turns to get the same adjustment on the A as opposed to the other strings? I think it has to do with the A strings tension and gauge. I only have two trem equipped guitars, both ZRs, and both exhibit this..
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: ZR TUNING HEAD PROBLEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiophonic View Post
Hi,

it's very strange. All tuning heads are the same for all saddles.
I think it's not a real problem but you can change it by order
the single part.
i know on the FR trem all of the tuning heads are all equal on length. maybe you right, its not a problem. its my first ZR trem so i think you can understand my ignorance on the matter hahahahah. i am bit hesitant in changing the order cuz the "A" sting tuning head rarely gets detuned.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J View Post
Maybe you're noticing is what I do, the fine tuner takes more turns to get the same adjustment on the A as opposed to the other strings? I think it has to do with the A strings tension and gauge. I only have two trem equipped guitars, both ZRs, and both exhibit this..
hmmm...you mean its an issue on gauge and the tension on the "A" string? ill check on that one on my guitar and see what happends. you have 2 guitars with ZR and both of them shows the same scenatio? (the "A" tuning head on th ZR trem has less room for adjustment)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
A_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODRAW View Post
hmmm...you mean its an issue on gauge and the tension on the "A" string? ill check on that one on my guitar and see what happends. you have 2 guitars with ZR and both of them shows the same scenatio? (the "A" tuning head on th ZR trem has less room for adjustment)
My bad, I was a bit tipsy, it's my B string I was talking about that does it the most. But it's true for all my string to some degree, some take more turns for the same amount of adjustment in pitch. It's because gauge and tension factor in.

But I think we should clarify your question.. Now you say that it doesn't have much room for adjustment? Meaning in both directions, or just one? If in both directions, the threads might be stripped?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J View Post
My bad, I was a bit tipsy, it's my B string I was talking about that does it the most. But it's true for all my string to some degree, some take more turns for the same amount of adjustment in pitch. It's because gauge and tension factor in.

But I think we should clarify your question.. Now you say that it doesn't have much room for adjustment? Meaning in both directions, or just one? If in both directions, the threads might be stripped?

its in both direction.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 AM

If you look at the back of the bridge, you'll see that the saddles are all at different heights. If you make the fine tuners 'neutral' by making them flat across the top, the middle strings get less adjustment upwards than they would otherwise. Coupled with string guage and intonation, which both affect the amount of pitch you can get out of the fine tuners, this might be your problem.

Regardless, I've got 2 guitars with ZRs, one a 7 string, and there is ample adjustment range on both provided the strings are put on properly and stretched.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
If you look at the back of the bridge, you'll see that the saddles are all at different heights. If you make the fine tuners 'neutral' by making them flat across the top, the middle strings get less adjustment upwards than they would otherwise. Coupled with string guage and intonation, which both affect the amount of pitch you can get out of the fine tuners, this might be your problem.

Regardless, I've got 2 guitars with ZRs, one a 7 string, and there is ample adjustment range on both provided the strings are put on properly and stretched.

ill try that today and see what happends.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post

youre right mann.... it just took me a while to get back at my guitar but it worked out fine. its just the string tention and a lilttle bit of intonation adjustment. thanks a lot for the tip. it was very helpfull.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode