'07 RG1527 - Out of Room to Adjust Pups Downward - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

'07 RG1527 - Out of Room to Adjust Pups Downward

So, I own 2 RG1527RB's from 2007, and have this issue on both:

I swapped out the factory V pickups with DiMarzios.

They're completely bottomed-out... basically crushing the lead wire... and not only are the pups still too close to the strings, the bridge pickup is tilted dramatically.

The only remedy I can see is actually routing the cavity deeper, but I wanted to see if anyone knows of a better solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 PM

Re: '07 RG1527 - Out of Room to Adjust Pups Downward

well you can route a deeper channel for the lead wires to sit in and that should get the pickups lower. I have a bit of a similar issue with one of my rg 7 strings.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 AM

The reason your bridge pickup is tilted is most likely because of the way it is sitting on the lead wire.

You have a couple of options you can do, which one will be best will depend on your setup & how much more you need to lower the pickups. If you only need to lower them a tiny bit you can do one of 2 things.
1. As j.arledge mentioned you can carve out a channel for the lead wires. This will give you a bit more room to bring the pups down. And by giving the lead wires an area to sit in, your pickups should also be able to sit flat. You don't need to bust out a router to do this. You can use a chisel and carve a shallow cavity. Just make sure your chisel is nice and sharp, cut with the grain, and take out a little bit of wood at a time (don't try to take out big chunks).
2. This is a little oddball but will work if you only need a slight adjustment. Get a uniform thickness veneer, cut it to the shape of your neck pocket and use it to shim the entire neck upwards. Along with that raise the bridge/saddles up the same amount. Doing this will raise the strings a little higher but shouldn't affect your action. This will only work if you just need a millimeter or two of extra clearence.
* You can also combine these 2 suggestions to get some extra clearence that you won't get from either one alone.

If that doesn't give you enough adjustment room you'll need to route the entire cavity deeper. How deep to go will depend on how much more you need to move the pickups. if you do need to route just be very careful not to damage anything. Mask off the top of the body to protect the finish. Also if you have a tremolo measure the thickness of the wood between the pickup cavity and the spring cavity. You don't want to accidentally route too deep and go all the way through. You should have more than enough wood there to do a little routing but you never know. It doesnt hurt to check and be on the safe side. You can do this with simple math.
A: measure from the top of the body to the bottom of the pickup cavity
B: measure from the back of the body to the bottom of the spring cavity.
C: Measure the total body thickness.
Finally, do the math: C - (A+B)= how much wood you have to work with
Last note on routing the cavities deeper; if you don't have a router or don't want to use one you can get away with using a forstner drill bit in a drill press. Just be careful around the edges and corners of the cavities. You'll also need to do some clean up work with a chisel afterwards.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:23 PM

Shim the neck pocket. You don't even have to go about it with a uniform thickness veneer - normally I'll just take a business card, fold it a couple times as needed and cut it down to make a narrow shim to raise just the very back of the neck pocket, sliding it into place behind the two farthest-in neck picket screws, to increase neck angle a bit. You'll then need to raise your bridge to get the action back where you want it, and in doing so you'll find that suddenly you have much more room to work under the pickups, especially with the bridge pickups.

I've always thought Ibanez guitars set up a little nicer with a little more neck angle than they generally ship from the factory with. YMMV, of course. The main argument for the "uniform thickness shim" approach (and this isn't the first time I've seen it suggested) is that you preserve as much wood-to-wood contact as possible this way. On the other side of the coin, you've got guys like Eric Johnson who advocate using nylon shims in the neck pocket to vibrationally isolate the neck from the body. So, give it a shot.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:22 PM

Shimming the back of the neck pocket to increase neck angle is typically done when the action is too high on the upper frets and you can't lower the bridge anymore. That said, Drew's suggestion can work well also. It will actually give you a bit more string clearence across the guitar body as you will have to raise the bridge slightly higher than if you were to shim the whole neck pocket.

My reasoniong for shimming the whole pocket is 2 fold. One, as Drew mentioned, to preserve the wood to wood contact. The other reson is to preserve the already established neck angle (assuming it's good & to your liking). Shimming the entire neck pocket will uniformily raise the strings straight up from nut to bridge as opposed to raising the strings more toward the bridge side by shimming the back of the pocket.

Both ways of shimming the neck pocker are viable solutions. Try both and see which one gives you the best results. And if neither way works well they're completely reversable, you just nee to pull out the shim. And when you raise the bridge keep playing comfort in mind. If you go too high it can become a little uncomfortable to play dependiing on how you rest your picking hand.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:38 PM

Yeah, that's actually worth mentioning - increasing neck angle means you'll need to raise the bridge, which will fix your problem but if you feel like the bridge is already higher out of the body than you're comfortable with, this may not be ideal.

If the bridge is pretty low, however, a nice perk of this is you're going to get a fair amount more pull-back out of the trem.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:21 PM

Hi Webmaestro, coincidentally i've just change the PUs of my RG1527 for some DiMarzios as well, i knew just by looking at them that there was going to be a height issue, but it turned out to be ok for me, they do sit higher than the V7,8s but since they are still lower than the rosewood part of the fretboard and my picking is just a little over the edge of the neck PU it doesnt bother me, oddly the tilted bridge PU was actually worse with the V8s in my case, the Dimarzio sits just slightly tilted, i think routing a cavity for the lead wire should solve this issue if it bothers you that much but i don't you will be able to lower them that much without routing the entire cavity though.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. Luckily, all these options are open to me. There's a shop here that does full-on custom builds from scratch, so any kind of routing or chiseling of those pup routes would be easy for them.

On the other hand, I have some 1/32" maple veneer setting around too, which I could shim the neck pocket with.

Shimming makes sense and would be the easiest, but I really like how the guitar is currently set up. I've found that perfect balance where everything is just right, so I hate to mess with that.

I'll think on it a bit. A lot could go wrong when it comes to routing or chiseling... even if done by an experienced luthier. Accidents happen.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
I'll think on it a bit. A lot could go wrong when it comes to routing or chiseling... even if done by an experienced luthier. Accidents happen.
Well lucky you got two of them then JK
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:11 AM

Reviews: 2

woah, woah ,woah!!!

Back this up a bit guys.......

DiMarzio makes 7-string pickups in two different heights. Webmaestro- you obviously ended up with the taller of the two sizes. Call DiMarzio before doing anything to find out what pickups will work without any modification to the body. They don't make every pup in both heights, so you might have to choose another set. IMO, I'd rather choose a new type of pup than to start altering a guitar to force the set you have to work.

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 08-01-2015 at 12:20 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:15 AM

Yeah only Liquefire, Tone Zone, Air Norton, and PAFs are available at the small size, if like me wanted Blazes or like Webmaestro, Crunchlab and Ionizer i believe it has to be the bigger ones, couldn't hurt to ask Dimarzio if they make them in both sizes though.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 AM

No pickups are available in two heights. It's a mistake on their website. That comes straight from DiMarzio. Some pickups are tall, some are short.

You can probably solve this entire issue by replacing the foam under the pickup with thinner foam.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
Shimming makes sense and would be the easiest, but I really like how the guitar is currently set up. I've found that perfect balance where everything is just right, so I hate to mess with that.
Devil's advocate - clearly you HAVEN'T, or you wouldn't be having this problem.

But being a little more serious for a moment, it won't mess up most of the setup. Once you add in a little more neck angle, all you'll have to do is raise the trem by an even amount on both sides and it'll return to its current equiliberum. Shimming the neck doesn't change the tension on the neck or on the bridge, so trem angle won't change, neck bow won't change, action at the nut won't change, etc. All you have to do is raise the bridge until you have the same clearance at the 24th fret as you did before the shim.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
You can probably solve this entire issue by replacing the foam under the pickup with thinner foam.
This seems like a very sensible solution.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 01:34 PM

It's probably the pickup cable; if you drill a bit of clearance depth with a Forstner bit right in the corner of the routing where the cable comes out of the bottom of the pickup base plate, it'll free things up by giving that hump of cable the clearance it needs.
That was my solution to this same problem on my 1527s (3 of them at the time, now 2).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode