1)Pgaurd to match natural finish? 2)Question about cavities. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

1)Pgaurd to match natural finish? 2)Question about cavities.

hi guys. Im planning on building an RG body for my school tech project (i previously made a post about it but this question deserved a new thread.
I took apart my 450dx last night to sort out the measurements, and once i took the pickgaurd off i had a look at the cavities.Now it would no doubt be easier to have a pickgaurd on my finished body as it would mean i could do all the cavities on one side , and if there was any marks/damage then the pickgaurd would obviously hide this........But i plan on leaving the wood a natural finish, so unless anyone can thinkmof a pickgaurd colour that fits well with a natural finish (i know i never have) then ill have to go with the design similar to my 570, that is with both the electronics and imput cavities on the rear, but atm i cant take the 570 apart to look at all the cavities so basically all i want to know is are the pickup cavities similar dimensions on both models (apart rom the little gap on the cavities on a pickgaurd'ed one).........Or should i go with tye easy options of just routing it all in one area and stick a pickgaurd on?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 01:19 PM

The pickup cavities are not the same. They are usually smaller on non-pickguard guitars because you have to leave enough material to get a good bite from the mounting ring screws. Or if you have direct mounted pickups they are even smaller and more "form fitting" to the pickups baseplate. Pickguard routs are looser to allow for play in the pickguard placement, and simply because they can be. As you pointed out, the guard covers all! Some fenders routed a huge "swimming pool" rectangle under there.

As far as matching the look, I would say get a clear guard (smoked or tinted looks cool, too) and epoxy the same species of wood veneer up underneath it. You'd be able to tell it was a different piece of wood because the grain wouldn't line up, but who cares?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

only thing with a clear pickgaurd is its showing all what i want to hide off, id love to put a cool colour or pattern on but im having a hard time finding somthing that fits a wood finish
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 06:30 PM

Basic black (or 3-ply black-white-black) would look sharp on a natural body, as would a brown tortoiseshell pickguard with cream pickups and knobs.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

God, i forgot completly about that site, cheers darren, the top one looks sh*t hot! ill go and try out some others

Tags
direct mounted pickups , mounted pickups , pickup cavities

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode