12" radius frets on a 16" fretboard, is this possi - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

12" radius frets on a 16" fretboard, is this possi

Is this possible if you install high jumbo frets, and then radius the frets down to 12".........even though they are in a 16" fretboard?? Or is this too much of a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 09:00 AM

I don´t get it..

Are you goint to pull out some frets from a 16" board and install them in a 12" board?? if this is the case i don´t think you can´t do that ...the pull out fret will be damaged after the pull..

The frets follows the radius of the Board so you pre-bend before put in over the board and then press them or hammer them..

Now..a thing you CAN DO is Radiuses a 16" board to a 12" board using a Radius block with no problem ...and then put some New frets on it..

hope this helps you.

cheers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Nope, i meant installing the highest/tallest fret size in a 16" fretboard, and then creating a 12" radius on the frets (the tall frets would compensate for the unmatched radiuses.....and maybe have enough "meat" on the ends of frets to allow the 12" )

Does this make sense?

I think there is too much difference in curvature to do this............after all is said and done, there wouldn't be much meat on the frets.......left.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Vendor

JS radius is 9.8" not 12. 16" is very close to the 17 on all JEM/RG guitars
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

If that's the case with a JS.........a 16" would feel wierd especially when bending strings. String bending is nice on a Js.......it feels smooth because of the radius..............i would imagine bending strings on a flatter radius might feel like more work?? chord work would probably feel the same?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Are Jems compound radius or fixed?

I didn't know that Jems were 17"..........then again, i never played one
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Vendor

I'm sure you could find an RG to twirl within 10 miles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Yah, i have to make a trip to the music store anyways.......so i might as well try one
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 03:02 PM

Reviews: 1
You can change the radius of the neck overall, but it will be messy and time consuming. If you don't know how, I would suggest getting it done professionally. It is not a task for the squeemish.

You're talking about changing the overall shape of the fretboard rather dramatically.

Bamm
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Bamm, i know........reason i am asking is because there is a custom fretboard in a 16" radius with very nice inlay work done on it that i'm interested in.......but I prefer a smaller radius than a 16".......but i haven't tried playing on a 16". And re-radiusing the fretboard would do some damage to the inlay work......and the fretboard itself isn't cheap.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer2
Bamm, i know........reason i am asking is because there is a custom fretboard in a 16" radius with very nice inlay work done on it that i'm interested in.......but I prefer a smaller radius than a 16".......but i haven't tried playing on a 16". And re-radiusing the fretboard would do some damage to the inlay work......and the fretboard itself isn't cheap.
Ohh, i see..

Since this is the case and you realluy want the board i think you should do this:

Try to draw an Arc of 16" radius with a cord of something that let you do that extensión..then mark the center of that Arc and from that point, start to draw a 12" Arc. to both side of the point , of course the point of pivoting have to move 4" closer in a straight line to the Mark point... when you do the new arc you should see that the new arc is beneath of the fisrt one..

now, you should mesure the diferent in the extremes of the Arcs using the width of the board as reference for this..

Then you should compare if there is enought material on a Jumbo fret for this diference..

I hope you understand what i just write , because reading it i think it can be a little confuse..

this is something i just thought using a geometric solution.. and the leanguage don´t help me to much...

cheers

Tags
fret size , jumbo frets , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode