1980 Yamaha SE300H - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

1980 Yamaha SE300H

ok so i have this guitar, it was my first guitar ever... it has what i believe is a mahogony body... i replaced the origional neck with a 1 piece maple strat neck, and it has been painted since i got it... for some reason i cannot get a good sound out of it anymore, no matter what pickups i use... i have tried yamaha pickups and ibanez pickups, i get the thinnest tone ever... i thought it was because there wasn't wood to wood contact on the neck joint, so i chipped off all the paint, and its a smooth contact now, but i still don't get any good tone from it... it sounds so thin and wirey whereas my fully modded RGT42 sounds so much better... right now it has Ibanez INF1 and INF2 pickups, and i've tried V1/V2 and one of the stock yamaha humbuckers, and can get nothing good out of it... i even tried screwing the pickups directly to the body, which is how i currently have the INF1 and INF2's, since i noticed how much it helped my RGT42 when i screwd the duncans into the body... i'm at a loss as of what to do... i got the origional yamaha 3 point switch in it, and i have a ibanez 500 ohm volume pot, no tone pot... any insights? this guitar used to have a tone that could rival any gibson out there, now it can't even rival my broken guitars lol, but i love the way it plays and would love to get the best sound i can out of it... i've had people online ask if it was single coil pickups after they heard it, it doesn't even sound as good as the INF1 and INF2's did when they were in the RGT42 stock... so any ideas? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 05:52 AM

You could have cold solders elysian (as for your tone it never sounds like single coils nice and fat, but well leave that on yahoo) Anyways, if you wired it yourself there is a major possibility that you have some cold solders, and you may want to try adding a tone control. Did it originally have one? Tone knobs are typically always on, and the capacitor on the tone control has a MAJOR effect on the way the guitar sounds. Ive never done it personally but has anyone else added a capacitor to the volume knob?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

a capacitor? u mean a resistor? the resistor is the reason the tone knob has en effect on sound, if it didn't have that resistor then it would just be a normal volume pot... as for cold solders, i've rewired it quite a few times now, i've also used different pots, etc, new wires, nothings working
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 04:01 PM

No I actually do mean capacitor. As for whether or not its a cold solder are you thoroughly heating both surfaces when your soldering? If you dont then the solder just happens to melt on top of the other peice of metal, not bond to it. Anyhoot, slap a dimarzio super distortion in there. That always works. Those things sound good I dont care what anyone says. Ive never used one myself, but for all the tech work Ive done where we couldnt get a good tone I just ended up putting in a super distortion.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

hmm never heard of a capacitor on a volume pot, sounds interesting, what kind of capacitor would i use? like how many microfarads etc

Tags
coil pickup , dimarzio super distortion , ibanez pickups , mahogony body , neck joint , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode