2 rather interesting guitar ideas i have.... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

2 rather interesting guitar ideas i have....

hi all, i have been mulling on these two ideas for a bit, and would love to hear feedback or suggestions on these.

the first idea is this. i want to take a stock (or as close to stock as i can find on the used market sinces theyre out of production now!) ibanez 12 string solidbody (the RG styled one, im not sure of the model number) and convert it into a 12 string jem. i plan on adding the monkey-grip, evo hums and a evo single coil for the pups (colored to match the body of course!), add the vine or maybe the d. pyramids to the board (again, same color as body), and either give it one of the flourescent paintjobs (im rather partial to purple or blue at the moment) or a swirl job, and a black guard. i plan on keeping it hard-tailed (i dont even think there IS a regular 12 string trem, let alone a floyd style which i know doesnt exist). how about THAT for a jem!

my other idea, which i KNOW will probably start a flame war (not that i care, these are MY ideas), is what i proudly call the "flying jem". it consists of a gibson-styled flying v (probably a cheap copy like what are selling by the dozens on eBay right now. im not confident enough in my luthier skills just yet to try and build one!) (with the rounder, sexier flying v style, not the 80's hair metal pointy styles like jackson and bc rich have (but dont get me wrong, i like these just as much as the next guy, and in fact have one of each of the forementioned companies v's!). im very partial to the old-school ones, like the 58 models with the "shoulders" where the neck meets the body), painted in flourescent color (probably purple, blue, or green) with the monkey grip, floyd style trem, lions claw, two evo hums and one evo single coil, black guard, and the vine on the board.

these are my 2 ideas. any suggestions or positive comments are very VERY welcome. 3 other ideas i have are:

1. a jem baritone with a 28" scale
2. a doubleneck jem with 6 on top and 12 on bottom, both hardtailed
and
3. a jem 4-string bass complete with grip, vine, flour. colors and if i could find a bass trem, the lions claw.

but these ideas are for another post at another time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

i also have other custom guitar ideas NOT related to the ibanez jem. any interested parties just ask me and ill post them in this topic! i can be VERY creative at times and have some real "jems" in my idea-book!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 04:48 AM

You have a lot of ideas.

If you have the money...I think the 12 string would be a killer axe, but I'm curious about the V too...

Hey and why a flamewar? It's just your idea and take a look at the 'older' jems (the Joe Despagni types), they were JEMs too and do not resemble the current ones at all.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 08:21 AM

A green meanie V would be hilarious (in a good way) I think. I just can't imagine where you'd put the monkey grip. I do think that pyramid inlays would match up better though. I wonder if that kisake site has V options.

No flames from me bro. Ideas always are welcome. I do think that Steve has a 12 string already at least part of a double-neck.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 07:05 PM

The 12 string would be amazing
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 08:11 PM

12 string OR 14 string (7 string doubled?)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 08:42 PM

wouldnt the 12 strings ring way toooo much with evos?

and wouldnt it be easier to replace the neck and bridge in a standard jem than to chop up a (lovely, hard to get, and much sought after) 12 RG?

flyin jem sounds sexy too
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 11:09 PM

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

doubleneck jem was already done by somebody (and i had the chance to BUY the damn thing off ebay for a steal. it was only for the body and necks, but hell, for $300, it would have been worth it...)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 09:01 AM

I think the 12 string Jem sounds cool. Do you have any drawings or sketches of your ideas? Go for it !
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTARSONG
doubleneck jem was already done by somebody (and i had the chance to BUY the damn thing off ebay for a steal. it was only for the body and necks, but hell, for $300, it would have been worth it...)
hmmmmmm, interesting, how long ago would that have been?

Tags
custom guitar , ibanez jem , monkey grip , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , standard jem , string bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode