3 Jem setup questions - Truss rod, string height & switch - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

3 Jem setup questions - Truss rod, string height & switch

#1. I have a 777DY and Floral and have just noticed a buzz on the low E on the DY. Looking down the neck from the bridge I noticed a slight "U" shape on the bass side of the neck, while the treble side is dead straight. Which direction should I turn the truss rod to correct this?

#2. I have read here and the setup section of Jemsite about the 2 small allen screws that need to be loosened before adjusting bridge height. Well on both of my Jems these are either not there or rounded out. In fact on my Floral the holes are two different sizes (big difference!), the Floral was bought as new from Appleway and has not been modified in any way, and on both guitars the allen wrenches that came with them will not fit. (too big or too small, no grab at all) *I can adjust the main bolts up and down with the big wrench and it seems to do fine, but am I damageing my posts?

3. I have read here about a "Super Switch" for pickup selection. Both of my switches often cutout when I go from neck to bridge during a lead (very embarrassing), and I have to screw with it before it works right. Where is the super switch available at?

Thanks in advance...
G.M. * *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:05 PM

3 Jem setup questions

1. First...what fret is buzzing? It is best to have a small amount of bow or "u" in your neck. If you press the string at frets 1 and 12, then pluck the string inbetween those frets, it should vibrate and buzz slightly. Righty Tighty...Lefty Lossey:biggrin:

2. The allen wrench size is 1.5mm available at any hadware store. Try that and let us know. The only way you could damage the post is by lowering it tightly.

3. StewMac has the the switch you describe. The only drawback is the middle selection does NOT allow the middle pickup to be used ny itself.

J>
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

3 Jem setup questions

Thanks for replying Jimm
1. The low E was buzzing from the 3rd fret to the 14th. All other strings were fine. I raised the bridge about a quarter turn and it sems to have gone away. The bow is there but only on the bass side. I've never adjusted the truss rod before and it plays great so I'm not gonna mess with it.

2. I have the 1.5mm wrench and it goes right through the holes with out even touching the sides. As I said, on my floral, the holes are two different sizes, one is too small for the 1.5mm, the other way too big. On the DY they seem to be the same size, but both ae too big for the wrench (it doesn't touch the sides).

3. What happens in the middle position?
I would actually like to wire my Jems like a JPM and bypass the middle pickup altogether. Everytime I use it the volume drops so much it is not worth having. This is with it at the same level with the strings as the humbuckers.
G.M.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:25 PM

3 Jem setup questions

1. I'd be concerned if the treble side of the neck is strait and the bass side is bowed. Could indicate a twist developing.

2. Take the trem of as described in the tech section and remove the trem posts. I have run across instances where they don't have the small stabilizing screw. If they have them and are just rounded out, order a new set from Rich or Ed Wood.

3. The StewMac "Mega Switch" will do exactly that. I comes with instructions for about 6 different wiring combinations including a Hum-Hum set up.

J>
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

3 Jem setup questions

Thanks again Jimm!

1. I'll keep my eye on the neck to see if it gets any worse. I changed strings before rehearsal last night and after raisng the bass side of the bridge alittle there was no buzz. I also tightened the springs a little to make the knife edges balanced better.

2. I'm not planning to do any more height adjustments, so I'll just leave them be.

3. I'll be in touch wth Stew Mac for the switch.

All problems solved! You the man:biggrin: *
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 08:53 PM

3 Jem setup questions

Thanks, I wish I got paid like the man :biggrin:

J>
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 09:41 PM
Vendor

3 Jem setup questions

Typically your bass side will always have a slight bow when the trebble is pin straight, and you want it to. You still want a little relief on the trebble side too though! Relief is a good thing.
Rich is online  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 09:39 AM

3 Jem setup questions

Wyzenhymer,
* * * * * * * * * * I like to adjust my pickups so that the middle single is closer to the strings than the 'buckers so I don't get that huge drop-out you described (this can get in the way of your picking style if you're not careful).
* * * Or, you could adjust the humbuckers away from the strings a bit more and leave the single where it is....This would also balance your pickups. Personally, I don't like my pickups set close to the strings...You lose sustain.

* * * * * * * *Oh yeah, I'm having the same switch problem on my RG-570 that you're having. I've yet to try some tuner-cleaner, though.

* * * * * * * * * * * *As to your tremolo adjustments, I don't think that you have to worry as much about your posts as you do the knife edges of the bridge. If needed, I just turn mine no more than a half-turn at a time and I keep the pivots lubricated a bit.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 12:22 AM

3 Jem setup questions

I screw my middle pickups in so they're flush with the body. They get in the way of my picking. I normally choose the 4th position for my clean sounds (neck hum and mid single), and if it's not loud enough (if I screwed up the volume on my distortion pedal), then the neck pickup alone is usually loud enough, but doesn't sound as good.

If your switch is cutting out, check to see if the contact points still have a solid connection. If not, just sqeeze em back so they're closer to eachother. This will happen with an old warn out switch, but it can easily be remidied.

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , distortion pedal , neck pickup , pickup selection , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode